Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Black lives matter or All lives matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Not when you look at criminal activity to deaths by cop, the only time when blacks come out as being killed more is by population as they commit around 40% of serious violent crime including 52% of murders
    15% of the population commits 52% of all US murders, and people are shocked and surprised?

Maybe there's some disproportion going on or inequality going on there aswell. Maybe we should focus on that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoodleDee)
    Then you live a very sheltered delusional life.
    You must have a very narrow minded view then, because sometimes it takes a look at the entire picture to see what is actually happening.

ReputationRep:
    All lives matter? Impossible. Why there are slaughterhouses around the world ? Those animals are actually human's food? Human beings can't exist without those animals?

Black lives matter? Of course. Police shouldn't be racists. They're supposed to take care of all citizens in the cities or towns.

Name:  1474753693082.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  35.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunkboy)
    All lives matter? Impossible. Why there are slaughterhouses around the world ? Those animals are actually human's food? Human beings can't exist without those animals?

Black lives matter? Of course. Police shouldn't be racists. They're supposed to take care of all citizens in the cities or towns.

Name:  1474753693082.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  35.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tell me how that is even relevant, we're discussing race discrimination race segregation and you're talking about animals. Police don't actively hunt down and kill black people and if you think that they do then you need to take into account that 15% of a population commit 52% of all murders does that mean ALL BLACK MEN are murderers CERTAINLY NOT. The police take care of everyone but if you commit a serious crime dont be stupid enough to blame it on race when you get shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    If you actually do a bit of thinking and realise that there are not equal numbers of white and black people in America, you find out that black Americans are 250% more likely to be shot by a police office than a white American. Black Americans are 500% more likely to be shot whilst unarmed (source).

So I think you will find that there is a problem.
    Someone is classwd as unarmed while trying to steal an officers gun that doesnt mean they are not a threat to the police officer, does an officer not have the right to defend their life?

ReputationRep:
    Someone is classwd as unarmed while trying to steal an officers gun that doesnt mean they are not a threat to the police officer, does an officer not have the right to defend their life?
    Maybe thats because they commit more crime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacarch12)
    Why the focus when more whites are dying though? Death is real. Dont dismiss white deaths just because proportionally they're less common, theres BY FREQUENCY MORE WHICH IS A FACTOR.
    Codswallop. What are you even trying to prove? That BLM and other attempts to show that institutional racism lurks in law enforcement and the justice system are rubbish?

Black people are more likely to be prosecuted. Fact. They are more like to be found guilty. Fact. Their sentences are more likely to be harsher. Fact.

What Alice in Wonderland world are you living in? What Utopia to lessen the inequality rife in the USA?

ReputationRep:
    15% of the population commits 52% of all US murders, and people are shocked and surprised?

Maybe there's some disproportion going on or inequality going on there aswell. Maybe we should focus on that?
    Maybe the problem isn't an external factor? Maybe looking into communities where people are told police are scum and out to kill you and also promote gang culture could be a problem?

There are many successful black people in America who rather than being praised for working hard to get into their positions are called uncle toms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Codswallop. What are you even trying to prove? That BLM and other attempts to show that institutional racism lurks in law enforcement and the justice system are rubbish?

Black people are more likely to be prosecuted. Fact. They are more like to be found guilty. Fact. Their sentences are more likely to be harsher. Fact.

What Alice in Wonderland world are you living in? What Utopia to lessen the inequality rife in the USA?
    Let me let you in on a little seceret:

FACT: All of the above facts are true because Black people commit more crime.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because the numbers show that if both white and black races committed crime proportionally then shootings would also be proportional too meaning Blacks wouldn't be killed any more than whites.

Honestly the days are gone where people will go and look for a black man to kill.

So yes, they are treated equally. Other aspects such as opportunity in society may be unequal which may lead to unequal proportion in crime for Blacks over whites however, Crime is Crime and if you dont commit it and work hard, you have an equal chance. And that is why I think there is more equality in the USA than you think.

The USA is in a time right now with the most diverse society and equilibrium it has been for a long time, all this uproar seems unnecessary and yes there are things to be worked on, but lets work on it together.
    Well there you have it. "Opportunity in society is not equal which leads to more crime". So there is inequality. Not everyone has the same opportunities in life and not everyone is as lucky as you.

You must have a very narrow minded view then, because sometimes it takes a look at the entire picture to see what is actually happening.
    I am not narrow minded in the slightest, you seem to have described yourself. I happen to be very lucky in the opportunities I've had in life and have had very little racism my way. But the fact still remains, I still have experienced some, and am very aware that it exists even in the western world, which for some reason you seem to think makes you immune from inequality just because it's more 'civilised'.

If you could even fathomed being born in a low income, crime ridden inner city as a black boy or girl, where society has already judged you, I don't think you'd be as close minded as you are.

Until you can say people of colour are treated the same as white people in general with no ifs or buts, then there's a need for equality movements.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the problem isn't an external factor? Maybe looking into communities where people are told police are scum and out to kill you and also promote gang culture could be a problem?

There are many successful black people in America who rather than being praised for working hard to get into their positions are called uncle toms.
    I agree with your first point, I am not sure what your second one is stating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoodleDee)
    Well there you have it. "Opportunity in society is not equal which leads to more crime". So there is inequality. Not everyone has the same opportunities in life and not everyone is as lucky as you.

I am not narrow minded in the slightest, you seem to have described yourself. I happen to be very lucky in the opportunities I've had in life and have had very little racism my way. But the fact still remains, I still have experienced some, and am very aware that it exists even in the western world, which for some reason you seem to think makes you immune from inequality just because it's more 'civilised'.

If you could even fathomed being born in a low income, crime ridden inner city as a black boy or girl, where society has already judged you, I don't think you'd be as close minded as you are.

Until you can say people of colour are treated the same as white people in general with no ifs or buts, then there's a need for equality movements.
    They are treated equally though because, infact there are more poor White nieghbourhoods than Black ones.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with your first point, I am not sure what your second one is stating.
    It is furthering the idea that the society punishes people who are successful meaning it is an internal problem that needs to be fixed rather than being blamed on others for discouraging black people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mavrick388)
    The point of the phrase 'Black lives matter' isn't to discriminate that ONLY black lives matter, it's to say that black lives matter TOO. And it's easy for people to say 'why not come together and all that impractical bs' when they haven't been affected personally...
    No, people just got tired of Black Lives Matter dominating the issue and pretending as though everything is a uniquely black problem. More unarmed white people are killed by police in the US each year, but this is something rarely talked about. Where's their mass media coverage? Where's the controversy?

But now even when armed black criminals are shot, protests and riots erupt before there's even been any sufficient evidence suggesting brutality. People start chanting "black lives matter!" and making demands, blocking highways, staging sit-ins, taking over parades (Toronto) etc, as though the whole world has to revolve around them because some dude got shot and they just immediately decided it was police racism.

You wanna know why black people get shot more often? Because they commit more crime and are more likely to live around crime. And they aren't even that much more likely to be killed when being arrested -- they're 28% of arrests and 32% of arrest-related deaths. Occasionally, black people are killed due to police brutality. So are whites and Hispanics. But which is more likely to make the rounds on social media and be on the news?

ReputationRep:
    It is furthering the idea that the society punishes people who are successful meaning it is an internal problem that needs to be fixed rather than being blamed on others for discouraging black people.
    Fair enough, so you are saying its based of ideologies and viewpoints rather than environment or police?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    No, people just got tired of Black Lives Matter dominating the issue and pretending as though everything is a uniquely black problem. More unarmed white people are killed by police in the US each year, but this is something rarely talked about. Where's their mass media coverage? Where's the controversy?

But now even when armed black criminals are shot, protests and riots erupt before there's even been any sufficient evidence suggesting brutality. People start chanting "black lives matter!" and making demands, blocking highways, staging sit-ins, taking over parades (Toronto) etc, as though the whole world has to revolve around them because some dude got shot and they just immediately decided it was police racism.

You wanna know why black people get shot more often? Because they commit more crime and are more likely to live around crime. And they aren't even that much more likely to be killed when being arrested -- they're 28% of arrests and 32% of arrest-related deaths. Occasionally, black people are killed due to police brutality. So are whites and Hispanics. But which is more likely to make the rounds on social media and be on the news?
    Very well rounded point. You seem to understand my view on this perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    They are treated equally though because, infact there are more poor White nieghbourhoods than Black ones.
    There are more white people in general. And just because there are more poor white people, doesn't mean black people are treated equally???

Just because you're in a position that you feel equal to white people, doesn't mean black people as a population, are seen as equal. I think this is where you aren't connecting things. You've made a good life for yourself and you're black so you everyone else should follow suit and has no excuse.

ReputationRep:
    Let me let you in on a little seceret:

FACT: All of the above facts are true because Black people commit more crime.
    Let me let you in on a little secret:

FACT: Those lives are destroyed not due to their actions. But the colour of their skin.

There are a vast number of examples where black and white people have committed the same crime but the white person serving a less harsher punishment.

It begs the question. What if Brock Allen Turner were black? Mmmmm. I'll let you ponder about it.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, so you are saying its based of ideologies and viewpoints rather than environment or police?
    Mostly, enviroment does play a role in the problem but it cant be solved without changing the views of the community first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Let me let you in on a little secret:

FACT: Those lives are destroyed not due to their actions. But the colour of their skin.

There are a vast number of examples where black and white people have committed the same crime but the white person serving a less harsher punishment.

It begs the question. What if Brock Allen Turner were black? Mmmmm. I'll let you ponder about it.
    There is a bigger gender gap in sentencing so are you also going to say that men are victims of institutional sexism?

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.