I've lost my self, I feel like i made a big mistake

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    stop with the passive aggressive insults please
    it's a waste of time and energy for both of you
    Hear hear.

Behave the both of you please before I report you for not being constructive!

ReputationRep:
    I often defend Islam when it comes to the whole terrorist thing but when it comes to women, i think Islam is fundamentally sexist and treats women horribly. The way some of the muslims on this thread talk make women seem like sexual objects who need to cover themselves from predatory men. Women should have the same sexual freedom as men and women should only be given the option to wear one.

OP has described a perfect scenario here. Due to growing up in a conservative household, the idea of the hijab has been so deeply ingrained that even though she is against it she feels guilty. The hijab shouldnt be forced on anyone, but free will dictates that women who want to can wear it as they like.

What's perhaps even more disturbing is that posters like MiszShortee786 senoritatimaa and h333 have proven to us all the forceful nature of the hijab and how muslim girls shame other muslim girls and implicitly suggesting that OP was being provocative for doing so. You should be absolutely ashamed for even insinuating that what OP has committed is a sin and forcing her to wear something that objectifies women and oppresses them. This kind of talk is unacceptable in western society so you can move to Saudi Arabia where you will have no freedoms and rights and you're worth nothing more than a sexual object for your husband.

To OP, dont bother with the hijab if you dont want to wear it. Have sex if you want.

(Original post by RobML)
    How about Islam tought men not to be predatory perverts instead of forcing women to repress themselves?
    Ironically it does teach man.

(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I know right I was watching the Great British Bake off too

Made any decision then?
    no
    i still dont know what to do
    i guess i'll wait it out until the guilt goes away
    wore it again today, hated it, gonna have to get used to that feeling i guess
    i want to take it off but i cant do that, i know its gonna get out to my parents through people from back home who came to this uni and bam it's all over

even if it doesnt what about after uni? what happens then? what about getting married? what about my family? all the solutions that were offered are immediate responses... not surprising since this was an immediate issue. but it goes deeper than that - i can't live the life i want forever. there is no such thing as "your family will have to deal with it" - no, i'm gonna be the one that will be 'dealt with'. i know im an adult, i know i can easily get a plane ticket to some other country and no one would be able to find me. i cant do it alone. i just can't. and the pain it will no doubt cause my family. the Hell my mother, my siblings will be put through. All because of me? I can't do that.

im gonna take a few days and really think about what i want and how i'll get it. if it all goes wrong, i'm not obligated to stay and take the consequences. call me a coward tell me i'm taking the easy way out but the fact of the matter is there is no easy way out.

ReputationRep:
    no
    i still dont know what to do
    i guess i'll wait it out until the guilt goes away
    wore it again today, hated it, gonna have to get used to that feeling i guess
    i want to take it off but i cant do that, i know its gonna get out to my parents through people from back home who came to this uni and bam it's all over

even if it doesnt what about after uni? what happens then? what about getting married? what about my family? all the solutions that were offered are immediate responses... not surprising since this was an immediate issue. but it goes deeper than that - i can't live the life i want forever. there is no such thing as "your family will have to deal with it" - no, i'm gonna be the one that will be 'dealt with'. i know im an adult, i know i can easily get a plane ticket to some other country and no one would be able to find me. i cant do it alone. i just can't. and the pain it will no doubt cause my family. the Hell my mother, my siblings will be put through. All because of me? I can't do that.

im gonna take a few days and really think about what i want and how i'll get it. if it all goes wrong, i'm not obligated to stay and take the consequences. call me a coward tell me i'm taking the easy way out but the fact of the matter is there is no easy way out.
    Sister I advise you sincerely from the bottom of my heart. Forget about what 'people' might say and think... What will Allah say? He created us all from clay and at the end of the day we are going to be wrapped in the white Kafan whether we like it or not. Sister dont let this be the day the first and last day you cover up. Dont loose Jannah for the pleasure of this world. I know you dont feel it however I dont want to go into depth right now as I dont wish to burden you any further! Please forgive me for anything I may of said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senoritatimaa)
    Yes Islam has taught men, Islam teaches men to lower their gaze. Islam teaches man and woman, believers and non-believers.
    It's a pity the men in Rochdale didn't lower their gaze, isn't it? Or do they only lower their gaze when it's Muslim women and anybody else is fair game for abuse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dropoutbear)
    I often defend Islam when it comes to the whole terrorist thing but when it comes to women, i think Islam is fundamentally sexist and treats women horribly. The way some of the muslims on this thread talk make women seem like sexual objects who need to cover themselves from predatory men. Women should have the same sexual freedom as men and women should only be given the option to wear one.

OP has described a perfect scenario here. Due to growing up in a conservative household, the idea of the hijab has been so deeply ingrained that even though she is against it she feels guilty. The hijab shouldnt be forced on anyone, but free will dictates that women who want to can wear it as they like.

What's perhaps even more disturbing is that posters like MiszShortee786 senoritatimaa and h333 have proven to us all the forceful nature of the hijab and how muslim girls shame other muslim girls and implicitly suggesting that OP was being provocative for doing so. You should be absolutely ashamed for even insinuating that what OP has committed is a sin and forcing her to wear something that objectifies women and oppresses them. This kind of talk is unacceptable in western society so you can move to Saudi Arabia where you will have no freedoms and rights and you're worth nothing more than a sexual object for your husband.

To OP, dont bother with the hijab if you dont want to wear it. Have sex if you want.
    I am sorry you feel that way. However, Islam is about justice and guidance in life as you submit to God and believe his guidance is the best for you. If one does believe in Islam then they are not oppressing themselves as it is their own will to do so. Men and women, are guided to not engage in fornification.

Some things you mentioned really does not make sense sorry, so me following Islam means I am limited to a certain part of the world only? I find this quite repressive.

I have not forced anything on her. As she is a Muslim I advised according to Islam and then it is up to her to take it or not. She needs to think carefully without rushing, at the end of the day it is her will. I can't make my own rules in Islam and start telling others to follow it. If she believes in Islam the I hope she tries to use it to guide her. However, no one is perfect and if she chooses to not follow a certain rule/guidance from God within Islam then that will not make her a non-Muslim instantly (as long as she does not associate anyone with God). We have no right to judge but just to advise according to Islam as it is truthfully. Only God can judge.
    Sometimes Muslim don't understand why they are guided to do certain things in Islam but still do it (unfortunately some don't appreciate/see the point of it as a consequence). It is important to know the reasons behind it, seek to clear any doubts etc and then it is upon you to make the decision.

I do honestly care for OP. May Allah/God make it easier for her and guide her. Ameen. (Not because I think she is a bad person but because I wish the best for her in the long term).

little background info; i'm 18, female, moved out of a very conservative Muslim household to study in a different city, getting a lot of **** for it too but that's not the point

the point is I went out with my housemates last night to celebrate an occasion. we went to a club. i wanted to go because every time they told me to go, (they weren't pressuring or anything) i would say no even though i really wanted to. i was scared. of my parents, of them finding out. i also felt out of place, since I wear a head covering.

after many problems caused because of speculation that i was going to go out or take my scarf off, i was like you know what - since im getting **** for it already I might as well do it. And i did. I took the scarf off because 1) i dont believe in it, 2) if i WAS wearing the scarf i would a) present islam in a negative light and b) not enjoy my self and feel paranoid and feel out of place and everyone would stare at me

but the whole bus journey there, i felt so weird. it didn't feel like i'd done anything drastic. but i kept mentally beating my self up about it. i kept calling my self names and cheap and weak because i 'gave in' - it hurts even though i know i wanted this. I guess i feel bad because i let down my parents. i enjoyed the night though. but coming back, letting it all sink in, it didn't feel real. in fact, if it wasn't for my aching joints i would've thought it was all a dream.

i've been in bed all day. i didnt go to lectures. i feel like ****. i did not drink, or have sex, or even talk to boys, technically i did nothing to be 'ashamed' of, but i still feel horrible. i've just been crying and crying. i only left the room to go toilet. i still haven't eaten since last night really.

i also have another problem. i took it off, and obviously a lot of uni students were there. some of whom are friends or acquaintances. i felt like it was a one time thing, i'd put it back on. but how can i? wouldn't that make me a hypocrite? of course, there's also the point that if i DO fully take it off, my parents WILL find out - i've seen a few former friends back from my high school, who know people who know people who will get it to them.

I'm just scared, and i feel stupid and i hate myself right now. i just want to end it all but that would do no good to anyone . i dont know what to do or how to feel.

can anyone give me some advice? or atleast calm me down? please?
    I also took off my headscarf a couple of months ago because I didn't believe in it at all- I still don't. I haven't told my parents yet because they will definitely not give me the permission to do it; I know them really well, they're too religious to accept it.

I regret taking it off. although doing it made feel like I was free to some extent, I now walk around with the fear that someone who knows me might see me and tell my family. I also started becoming scared of cameras ( what if someone takes a picture of me and then my parents see it somehow!). It's not just this; I'm now even scared that people who know me without my scarf could see me walking around with it while my parents are around ( what if they ask something like 'why are you wearing a headscarf today?'. All those worries are driving me crazy! I can't focus on my studies at all.

I will wear it again after this half term because I feel really guilty for betraying my parents' trust. I will pretend that I have never done it and everything will be ok. I might take it off in the future again- once I get the courage to actually tell my parents first.

So, my advice is wear it and only take it off once you tell your parents. I'm not saying telling them is easy, I know very well how hard it is and how much courage you would need to say it to them.

You only did it for a day so it's easy to go back. I have been doing this for 4 months and now everyone around me is used to seeing me without the hijab. I will soon have to wear it again and pretend that I don't care what others think of me.

ReputationRep:
    A religion, ANY religion is fine when it preaches peace, love , kindness and compassion. But if it teaches all those things [or some of them] but also preaches that going to night clubs, eating a particular type of food, not wearing a piece of cloth on your head are all sinful then you have to think long and hard and ask who made up these rules? Were they by any chance made up by males? Some of them many centuries ago? Were they really for God's benefit or their own?

ReputationRep:
    little background info; i'm 18, female, moved out of a very conservative Muslim household to study in a different city, getting a lot of **** for it too but that's not the point

the point is I went out with my housemates last night to celebrate an occasion. we went to a club. i wanted to go because every time they told me to go, (they weren't pressuring or anything) i would say no even though i really wanted to. i was scared. of my parents, of them finding out. i also felt out of place, since I wear a head covering.

after many problems caused because of speculation that i was going to go out or take my scarf off, i was like you know what - since im getting **** for it already I might as well do it. And i did. I took the scarf off because 1) i dont believe in it, 2) if i WAS wearing the scarf i would a) present islam in a negative light and b) not enjoy my self and feel paranoid and feel out of place and everyone would stare at me

but the whole bus journey there, i felt so weird. it didn't feel like i'd done anything drastic. but i kept mentally beating my self up about it. i kept calling my self names and cheap and weak because i 'gave in' - it hurts even though i know i wanted this. I guess i feel bad because i let down my parents. i enjoyed the night though. but coming back, letting it all sink in, it didn't feel real. in fact, if it wasn't for my aching joints i would've thought it was all a dream.

i've been in bed all day. i didnt go to lectures. i feel like ****. i did not drink, or have sex, or even talk to boys, technically i did nothing to be 'ashamed' of, but i still feel horrible. i've just been crying and crying. i only left the room to go toilet. i still haven't eaten since last night really.

i also have another problem. i took it off, and obviously a lot of uni students were there. some of whom are friends or acquaintances. i felt like it was a one time thing, i'd put it back on. but how can i? wouldn't that make me a hypocrite? of course, there's also the point that if i DO fully take it off, my parents WILL find out - i've seen a few former friends back from my high school, who know people who know people who will get it to them.

I'm just scared, and i feel stupid and i hate myself right now. i just want to end it all but that would do no good to anyone . i dont know what to do or how to feel.

can anyone give me some advice? or atleast calm me down? please?
    I posted this previously but I didnt quote. I can understand that you are feeling hugely concerned at the moment. But could this be similar to say another religious group deciding to not wear a crucifix or cross (some Christians) or roseary necklace (some Catholics) around their neck?

Although I understand that some Muslims do consider wearing a headscarf to be a very important part of day to day life, isn't this just an aspect of your beliefs and religion? A very symbolic aspect nonetheless but I don't think you should discredit yourself so harshly because you are still upholding your morals and beliefs I'd assume?

In life, we have periods of change and self-discovery and I think you should remember that and consider not wearing your scarf on the one night out, a part of the maturing you are going through.

If your uni has a chaplaincy service there then perhaps go with a new friend you have made and seek advice from others who may be able to relate to you in a useful way

All the best with working out what's best for you ☺

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by MiszShortee786)
    Sister I advise you sincerely from the bottom of my heart. Forget about what 'people' might say and think... What will Allah say? He created us all from clay and at the end of the day we are going to be wrapped in the white Kafan whether we like it or not. Sister dont let this be the day the first and last day you cover up. Dont loose Jannah for the pleasure of this world. I know you dont feel it however I dont want to go into depth right now as I dont wish to burden you any further! Please forgive me for anything I may of said.
    Better today than tomorrow.
    If God can forgive even murder with sincere repentance, then I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm not worried about what Allah will think of me. I still believe in Him, and love Him, and am thankful to Him for all the good He's given me, and all the lessons He's taught me from the bad. But all this cultural , traditional ******** hiding behind the name of Islam is pushing me away from Him. All this oppression, all these threats, and shaming, it's pushing me closer and closer to just leaving Islam tbh. I can't live just for Heaven. I don't love God and worship him solely to get into Heaven. If you married a man for the sole purpose of living in his mansion and taking his money do you think he'd approve of your relationship? No? So how could you worship Heaven/ Jannah instead of your Creator?

Besides - who are you to tell me that I will lose Jannah? Are you God? Then do not judge. This is not advice that you're giving, you are literally trying to guilt trip me into doing something you think is right for me. Maybe you are willing to live your life like that but I am not. I'm not taking my hijab off to gain anything. I am not seeking pleasure. I am trying to rid my self of this burden. I'm trying to lose the chains that are holding me back from seeing the beauty in religion. It symbolises something opposite to what I want to represent. I am not close minded, I am not better than anyone else because I cover, or because I 'look religious', or even because I believe in religion. I am not the property of man, I am not something to be ashamed of, something to hide, a wild creature that will go crazy and **** every guy on the street if she was let out of her cage. And don't you dare try to tell me it protects me from men because it doesn't. Why was I physically sexually harassed by a stranger who I did not even make eye contact with while covered from head to toe? Where is this magical forcefield that will deflect male attention.

Don't talk to me like that.

ReputationRep:
    If God can forgive even murder with sincere repentance, then I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm not worried about what Allah will think of me. I still believe in Him, and love Him, and am thankful to Him for all the good He's given me, and all the lessons He's taught me from the bad. But all this cultural , traditional ******** hiding behind the name of Islam is pushing me away from Him. All this oppression, all these threats, and shaming, it's pushing me closer and closer to just leaving Islam tbh. I can't live just for Heaven. I don't love God and worship him solely to get into Heaven. If you married a man for the sole purpose of living in his mansion and taking his money do you think he'd approve of your relationship? No? So how could you worship Heaven/ Jannah instead of your Creator?

Besides - who are you to tell me that I will lose Jannah? Are you God? Then do not judge. This is not advice that you're giving, you are literally trying to guilt trip me into doing something you think is right for me. Maybe you are willing to live your life like that but I am not. I'm not taking my hijab off to gain anything. I am not seeking pleasure. I am trying to rid my self of this burden. I'm trying to lose the chains that are holding me back from seeing the beauty in religion. It symbolises something opposite to what I want to represent. I am not close minded, I am not better than anyone else because I cover, or because I 'look religious', or even because I believe in religion. I am not the property of man, I am not something to be ashamed of, something to hide, a wild creature that will go crazy and **** every guy on the street if she was let out of her cage. And don't you dare try to tell me it protects me from men because it doesn't. Why was I physically sexually harassed by a stranger who I did not even make eye contact with while covered from head to toe? Where is this magical forcefield that will deflect male attention.

You go girl. I think you've got the exact right idea. Do what you feel comfortable with. It's very sad that you feel you'd damage your relationship with your parents if you stopped wearing your hijaab, but one day you have to stop being their child and be your own adult. Right now, you need to decide whether it's more upsetting to fall out with your parents or to wear the hijaab everyday. Whenever the hijaab outweighs the parents, you need to embrace your independence and make the decision to stop wearing it. Your parents love you and I'm sure if you explain your reasons one day they'll come around. Some scholars do not even believe it is compulsory in Islam. Just do whatever feels easiest for you.

ReputationRep:

Sorry if you felt that I was 'pouncing' upon you. In regards to you're query the Hijab is not cultural is religious its part of Islamic identity whether you like it or not. Should I begin to tell you what real oppression is? When Hadhrat Bilal (RA) was for to sleep on the hot burning sand in the hottest stone with a big heavy rock and getting whipped severely he was still able to claim Ahad Ahad. Today we think its us that oppress one another! SubhanAllah even through this tragedy he was able to take the pain of this world just for his Akhirah. Thats what I call true oppression.

In terms of today's oppression media is the main one for us. (Again I will save myself by going into detail.)

FYI we dont 'worship' Jannah. We strive for Jannah considering that will be our eternal home. Theres a difference.

And I am very sorry that you had to experience such however you will find that its not only you that was sexually harassed with the full coverings. Many muslimahs these days find themselves in this position unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senoritatimaa)
    one day, i hope
    Please leave as soon as you can.

ReputationRep:

Listen lil sis, i have known plenty of women who wear a scarf, and even more who don't. This isn't the middle ages, and we aren't living in saudi arabia. I also went clubbing for the first time last year, and like you i also loved it.

Wearing a headscarf, here in the uk is certainly a matter of personal choice. Some hard core Muslim fundamentalists are bound to disagree with me on this one, but whether you choose to accept God or not, he still loves you. Warts and all. Remember that! xx

Sorry if you felt that I was 'pouncing' upon you. In regards to you're query the Hijab is not cultural is religious its part of Islamic identity whether you like it or not. Should I begin to tell you what real oppression is? When Hadhrat Bilal (RA) was for to sleep on the hot burning sand in the hottest stone with a big heavy rock and getting whipped severely he was still able to claim Ahad Ahad. Today we think its us that oppress one another! SubhanAllah even through this tragedy he was able to take the pain of this world just for his Akhirah. Thats what I call true oppression.

In terms of today's oppression media is the main one for us. (Again I will save myself by going into detail.)

FYI we dont 'worship' Jannah. We strive for Jannah considering that will be our eternal home. Theres a difference.

And I am very sorry that you had to experience such however you will find that its not only you that was sexually harassed with the full coverings. Many muslimahs these days find themselves in this position unfortunately.
    (Original post by h333)
    I am sorry you feel that way. However, Islam is about justice and guidance in life as you submit to God and believe his guidance is the best for you. If one does believe in Islam then they are not oppressing themselves as it is their own will to do so. Men and women, are guided to not engage in fornification.

Some things you mentioned really does not make sense sorry, so me following Islam means I am limited to a certain part of the world only? I find this quite repressive.

I have not forced anything on her. As she is a Muslim I advised according to Islam and then it is up to her to take it or not. She needs to think carefully without rushing, at the end of the day it is her will. I can't make my own rules in Islam and start telling others to follow it. If she believes in Islam the I hope she tries to use it to guide her. However, no one is perfect and if she chooses to not follow a certain rule/guidance from God within Islam then that will not make her a non-Muslim instantly (as long as she does not associate anyone with God). We have no right to judge but just to advise according to Islam as it is truthfully. Only God can judge.
    Sometimes Muslim don't understand why they are guided to do certain things in Islam but still do it (unfortunately some don't appreciate/see the point of it as a consequence). It is important to know the reasons behind it, seek to clear any doubts etc and then it is upon you to make the decision.

I do honestly care for OP. May Allah/God make it easier for her and guide her. Ameen. (Not because I think she is a bad person but because I wish the best for her in the long term).
    Please stop this hardcore criticism of the op. We are lucky to live in a free society here in the west, where both men AND women are allowed to choose what they where, and where they go. Some hard core Christian and Muslims, used to believe that the women's place is at home. We are lucky that such views aren't prevalent, but you can't tel what is in someone's hearts, by the fact that they shedded an outmoded and quite frankly sexist acronism. Quite frankly i find it appalling that you expect your women and girls to wear a scarf today. If you don't like it here, you are welcome to leave okay?

ReputationRep:

im just tired of being told i am worth less in body but equal in spirit, that's ********
    im tired of being told i am a diamond that needs to be kept safe and away, even though diamonds are always on rings, symbols of wealth
    im tired of being told unwrapped sweets are worthless because im not a sweet, im not candy or jewellery or any thing. i have a beating heart, i have feelings and emotions - im not just a body that i have to hide
    You did the only right thing. Enjoy your freedom and the wind waving your hair.

Islam is a cult invented by a camel-herder living in 7th century Arabia in order to submit the simpletons and justify his conquests ("in the name of God" ). Any person with a rational mind should reject this barbaric ideology which creates a mental prison.

Your parents do not own you and you owe them nothing. Live your life as you want.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if you felt that I was 'pouncing' upon you. In regards to you're query the Hijab is not cultural is religious its part of Islamic identity whether you like it or not.
    No, it is not. The hijab is not even mentioned in the Qu'ran.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    No, it is not. The hijab is not even mentioned in the Qu'ran.
    It actually does.

ReputationRep:
    It actually does.
    Please quote it.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.