Turn on thread page Beta

Should the US hold a second election? watch

• View Poll Results: Should the US hold a second election?
    Yes they should have a second election
    20.43%
    No
    67.24%
    A democrat republican coalition should be allowed.
    12.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    In the ideal world Obama should refuse to leave the White House
    Breaking News: Barack has barricaded himself in the bogs! :woo:

What do you think?
    I think you need to lay off the skittles and go have a lie down pet :bubbles:

ReputationRep:
    voted "no" too, because he won fair and square, even though i dont like him (dont like clinton either!). But to all the people using "democracy" as reason to vote no: Hilary won popular vote. Trump didnt win by democracy, American voting system is crap, and hence democracy was never followed in first place.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (...)

What do you think?
    The people of America have voted the new president. As long as the election was not manipulated, it should not give a second one. That is unfair towards the majority who was speaking up for Trump. Living in a democracy also means to accept decisions by this one, no matter how stupid the result looks like. I would agree a second election - in form of a deselection -, if Trump ruins the democracy in a radical and violent way (Erdogan and Assad for instance). Otherwise a second election has no legitimation.

ReputationRep:
    If you didn't vote 'no' in this poll you truly have too many chromosomes.

ReputationRep:
    It would be interesting to conduct a poll in say 3 months and 6 months to see if voters of either candidate would have changed their mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza772000)
    lol everyone here is just posting he definition of the term "democracy" :lol:
    Ostensible definitions of democracy. All the word really means is 'power in the hands of the people'; nations approach this concept differently. Switzerland, for example, has multiple referendums a year—the UK has had only eleven since 1973.

I disagree that elections are democratic purely because they are elections. Does low voter turnout reflect public consensus? The electoral college is a totally inefficient method imo.

However, I disagree that there should be another US election. The outcome is legal and constitutionally valid. Poor presidents have been elected in the past and will be elected again in the future. I also think that people are exaggerating how bad it will be. Trump isn't really supported by the Republican party and even though he has a majority in both the Senate and HoR, it will be difficult for him to get some of his policies through Congress.

ReputationRep:
    I've said throughout the campaign that he doesn't believe half of what he says and would never action it. He's already started backing off promises by saying things like 'certain sections of the border will need a wall' - throughout the campaign people thought he was building a replica of the Great Wall of China

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123chem)
    voted "no" too, because he won fair and square, even though i dont like him (dont like clinton either!). But to all the people using "democracy" as reason to vote no: Hilary won popular vote. Trump didnt win by democracy, American voting system is crap, and hence democracy was never followed in first place.
    Pure popular vote isn't the only form of democracy.

One of the reasons the electoral college system exists is to prevent voter turnout in the more populous states from swinging the election in those states' favour. The US is a federal union of states, remember. Each of these states is guaranteed at least three electoral college votes, with more being alocated based on the number of representatives the state has in the federal government. Each state's population 'petitions' their representatives on which presidential candidate to vote for.

Essentially it is a compromise which guarantees each state a certain level of voting power in the federal election and stops variations in state voter turnout from affecting their representation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Pure popular vote isn't the only form of democracy.

One of the reasons the electoral college system exists is to prevent voter turnout in the more populous states from swinging the election in those states' favour. The US is a federal union of states, remember. Each of these states is guaranteed at least three electoral college votes, with more being alocated based on the number of representatives the state has in the federal government. Each state's population 'petitions' their representatives on which presidential candidate to vote for.

Essentially it is a compromise which guarantees each state a certain level of voting power in the federal election and stops variations in state voter turnout from affecting their representation.
    Losing by 1 vote in a state means you could lose like 20 electoral votes, and that's just stupid imo. Should be in proportion to votes gained, at least

ReputationRep:
    We were discussing it in class today and my teacher is livid that Trump has won. In the ideal world Obama should refuse to leave the White House but more realistically we believe a second US election should happen to give Clinton or another democrat the chance be elected instead of Trump.

Another idea is that there should be a coalition with Clinton given vice presidency.

What do you think?
    Those who pretend to be so offended by Trump are actually afraid his policies will work. That would be the end of liberal progressive politics.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.