Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Cleaners are vital too, do they deserve a bonus for not bringing in revenue?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cleaners are not vital.

If in my job where I serve customers and deal with minor issues I am not vital compared to my pharmacist, If I left he could get another member of staff to do it as it is a simple job.

If my pharmacist left we would not be able to hand out prescription, if the woman who does the labeling and sorting left we would not have our prescription.

Cleaning is a easy job and can be done by most people. Banking or more skilled jobs have fewer people to choose from with the right qualifications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    You never answered the question but ok.
    I'm quite sure they're pretty happy on their 140k a year. Why people aren't grateful for that is beyond me.
    Why should you be grateful if you worked for what you have?

ReputationRep:
    The 18-year old wannabes who are on this thread defending these obscene salaries seem to be forgetting the point that even CEOs of most of the FTSE-100 companies recognise that there is a big problem with executive pay and the gap between top and bottom in their companies. If they're recognising it, then it's a bit fallacious for a sixth-former to be going 'nah, it's fine...they should earn £10,000,000 p.a. and bugger everyone else'.

ReputationRep:
    Part of the reason why bankers are paid so much is because of the attraction of the work. Many roles have seriously long hours (65+ a week to 80+ a week). It's a young person's game for the best part, and a huge proportion of junior bankers leave within 5 years.

To get them in, in the first place, requires high salaries. You're essentially being asked to forfeit a good number of years in your prime ages, to work in the office.

The hours really are a key point. If I can earn £30k doing a 9 till 5 at an accountancy firm or £35k doing a 7 till 6 (at best!) as a banker, I'd be sure to choose the first option. Is that really hard to understand? There has to be a wage differential to get people in in the first instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faheemcg9)
    Why should you be grateful if you worked for what you have?
    You see there's this thing called humility... and being grateful for the opportunities you have been given.

ReputationRep:
    You see there's this thing called humility... and being grateful for the opportunities you have been given.
    You didn't answer why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axion)
    Part of the reason why bankers are paid so much is because of the attraction of the work. Many roles have seriously long hours (65+ a week to 80+ a week). It's a young person's game for the best part, and a huge proportion of junior bankers leave within 5 years.

To get them in, in the first place, requires high salaries. You're essentially being asked to forfeit a good number of years in your prime ages, to work in the office.

The hours really are a key point. If I can earn £30k doing a 9 till 5 at an accountancy firm or £35k doing a 7 till 6 (at best!) as a banker, I'd be sure to choose the first option. Is that really hard to understand? There has to be a wage differential to get people in in the first instance.
    No one is saying there shouldn't be... it's a question of how much.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't answer why
    I basically did. Read it.
    Grateful for the fact you could go to a decent university, attain a good degree and get hired.

ReputationRep:
    I basically did. Read it.
    Grateful for the fact you could go to a decent university, attain a good degree and get hired.
    Grateful for the fact you threw away your teenage years by working your ass off to get into a good uni.

ReputationRep:
    If that makes you feel better about yourself, then sure!

ReputationRep:
    Haven't you got some A level homework to be getting on with? Or is it BTEC? Run along.

ReputationRep:
    Those 2 circumstances are not comparable. £143k = great life. 18k = barely making it by.
    The percentages stay the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaboi)
    lol
    > says lol as if it’s a valid point

(Original post by Ladbants)
    Intrinsic value to society doesn't mean anything in the economy. People are paid based on the supply and demand for their skills, to put it simply. There is a huge supply of builders compared to bankers. We have a housing shortage because land in desirable areas is expensive and because there aren't enough incentives for developers to build housing, as well as an increase in the population.

'Intrinsic value to society' does not determine how much people are paid. The value to the employer does.
    Yes, but the thing is, that’s immoral. Why should a banker get a lot of money compared to somebody else? We have a housing shortage because the companies that build the houses are greedy and want as much profit as possible. There is obviously lots of land out there, but it is evident that companies only build in cities to get more money for less space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)

Yes, but the thing is, that’s immoral. Why should a banker get a lot of money compared to somebody else? We have a housing shortage because the companies that build the houses are greedy and want as much profit as possible. There is obviously lots of land out there, but it is evident that companies only build in cities to get more money for less space.
    > greentext on tsr

ReputationRep:
    > greentext on tsr
    #MakeTSR4ChanAgain

ReputationRep:
    No one is demanding houses to be built by workers, there's a housing shortage but no one wants to pay for new ones to be built.

ReputationRep:
    Grateful for the fact you threw away your teenage years by working your ass off to get into a good uni.
    You're forgetting uni costs money that your parents will have to help you out with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Unlikely...I imagine he'll carry on driving taxis or delivering pizzas.
    You racist savage :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaboi)
    No one is demanding houses to be built by workers, there's a housing shortage but no one wants to pay for new ones to be built.
    There is though - you know, all of those young people?

ReputationRep:
    I am entirely - allowing one person to get a **** ton of money by putting numbers in a computer, whilst allowing another to slave away and get 30k a year is unjust.
    You obviously don't know what being a banker involves.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.