all those people who got A*s.. Watch

D00
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Most people who use this website are ethusiastic about their education - this is why you don't see dumb chavs on here getting F's.
afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dumbdunc)
Oh and according to some site someone posted a link to 650 000 people take GCSEs every year and 8a*s 2 as puts you in less than the top 2%.
lol I don't suppose you still have that link somewhere? lol just randomly... or know where it was posted?
ash_moo
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagician. Funny?)
You did 17 GCSEs!:eek:
Lol, don't get so freaked. I only did 15 in Year 11. Two of them I already had.
thepiglette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by borednconfused)
Lol, don't get so freaked. I only did 15 in Year 11. Two of them I already had.
Haha, 'only did 15 GCSEs' - not sure I'll ever hear that sentence again! Well done :P
ash_moo
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by thepiglette)
Haha, 'only did 15 GCSEs' - not sure I'll ever hear that sentence again! Well done :P
Lol! Thank you
ash_moo
Report 11 years ago
But, in all seriousness, I used to go to a regular state school for my GCSEs. It hasn't affected my grades.
It's like saying that just because everyone else has failed so far, so will you. Well, ok, you might, but it's not a guarantee. Other people's predictions have nothing to do with me.
Doesn't matter whether you go to a state school or a private school. You are still the same aren't you.

I used to go to a private school till Year 6. It was no doubt, a fantastic school. But everyone is just so into their education that you start wondering whether they have a life (no offence intended).
When we moved, I had to join a state school. It was a terrible school. Only about 28% of people passed with 5 or more A*s to Cs. But, that didn't affect me learning. Why should it?
We had to move again, and I still went to a state school, but this time the pass rate was around 70%. Admittedly, I got better opportunities here, no doubt about that.

But, there is no way that private schools have better teachers. They just have better resources, and push individuals more. Which isn't necessary for people who push themselves.
The best (and I mean, THE BEST) teachers I ever had was in that crap secondary school with the 28% pass grade. My English teacher and my Maths teacher were fantastic. I owe my A*s in English Lang/Lit and Maths to them. They were awesome.

So, unless you blame teachers for your bad grades, it doesn't really make much of a difference whether you go to a state or private school.
At the end of the day, it's your education, and it's down to you.

[Thanks to JordanSHowarth for pointing out my lack of knowledge about the difference between a state and public school lol. Is that better now?]
Pollypeptide
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by borednconfused)
But, in all seriousness, I used to go to a regular public (state?) school for my GCSEs. It hasn't affected my grades.
It's like saying that just because everyone else has failed so far, so will you. Well, ok, you might, but it's not a guarantee. Other people's predictions have nothing to do with me.
Doesn't matter whether you go to a public school or a private school. You are still the same aren't you.

I used to go to a private school till Year 6. It was no doubt, a fantastic school. But everyone is just so into their education that you start wondering whether they have a life (no offence intended).
When we moved, I had to join a public school. It was a terrible school. Only about 28% of people passed with 5 or more A*s to Cs. But, that didn't affect me learning. Why should it?
We had to move again, and I still went to a public school, but this time the pass rate was around 70%. Admittedly, I got better opportunities here, no doubt about that.

But, there is no way that private schools have better teachers. They just have better resources, and push individuals more. Which isn't necessary for people who push themselves.
The best (and I mean, THE BEST) teachers I ever had was in that crap secondary school with the 28% pass grade. My English teacher and my Maths teacher were fantastic. I owe my A*s in English Lang/Lit and Maths to them. They were awesome.

So, unless you blame teachers for your bad grades, it doesn't really make much of a difference whether you go to a public or private school.
At the end of the day, it's your education, and it's down to you.
Sorry, but you seem a little confused as to what exactly a public, and a state school are:rolleyes:
It's highly unlikely a public school (often regarded as more prestigous than private institutions) would have such a low pass rate
ash_moo
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JordanSHowarth)
Sorry, but you seem a little confused as to what exactly a public, and a state school are:rolleyes:
It's highly unlikely a public school (often regarded as more prestigous than private institutions) would have such a low pass rate
you ARE right. i think i mean a state school.
the history lessons are coming back to me now.
public school = stuff like eton, harrow, winchester, blah blah.

yep, got it.

first private school, then two state schools.

*runs off to edit last post*
Zygroth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by afua12)
lol I don't suppose you still have that link somewhere? lol just randomly... or know where it was posted?
http://www.gradeinfo.co.uk/
thetoothfairy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by thepiglette)
If you couldn't have done any better, you aren't better than them. So why do you deserve to beat them at all? I don't understand who you're arguing with or what your point is.

well in all honesty, im pissed with myself, becuase I genuinely do think i deserved to do better, but its cuz my bogus subject choices....and of course not forgetting that OCR is the worst board....But, ye....my fault for not getting what i thought i should....but its all part of gods will, so i can't b arsed to worry or anything....wha happens, happens....

anyway....what did u get?
abrp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Stanley90)
ALL except a couple A*s. How many of you go to public schools? just regular run-of-the-mill public schools.. i don't know what you would call them (only private school pupils know the names for some reason) lol but it's just i wanna actually see cos it seems impossible and i'm sure this might make loads of people feel better about their results. Not me personally, but.. ok ok, YOU GUYS MAKE FEEL LIKE ****. o_O
don't know if this has been answered but, we call those schools: MPSIA standing for: Minor Public School Im Afraid....i.e. one of those horribly crappy wannabe private schools.
Original Legend
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
im not beeing cheeky; however, some people on here may not have A*s but they could be lying
abrp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yea but tbh no one cares what someone here says they have. All that it does is mislead over people when they try to give them University advice and as a result the person who lies doesn't get anything whilst the people who help them just waste their time.
ElectricOceans
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JamieH)
im not beeing cheeky; however, some people on here may not have A*s but they could be lying
That could be true, but I don't see the point personally. People would only put them up to show what they have achieved not to fit in among the student room. If they have achieved them then congratulations to them but if they haven't whats the point of it?
Zygroth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by holla_at_ya)
well in all honesty, im pissed with myself, becuase I genuinely do think i deserved to do better, but its cuz my bogus subject choices....and of course not forgetting that OCR is the worst board....
You know...For some strange reason, I do believe your getting 2 As was because you don't have the knowledge in those 2 subjects to get A*s, rather than OCR being mean :rolleyes:
dumbdunc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Zygroth)
You know...For some strange reason, I do believe your getting 2 As was because you don't have the knowledge in those 2 subjects to get A*s, rather than OCR being mean :rolleyes:

The saying "A bad workman blames his tools" springs to mind!:rolleyes:

I KNOW I got my two As because I wasn't good enough at the subjects, I didn't even think I was good enough for an A to be honest! (lol and the mean exam board excuse wouldn't work anyway, they were in different boards :p: )
dumbdunc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by holla_at_ya)
well in all honesty, im pissed with myself, becuase I genuinely do think i deserved to do better, but its cuz my bogus subject choices....

Bogus subject choices? I was forced to do a modern language, I hated it but made the most of it. Then I chose a subject I expected a C/B in (art) and worked ridiculously hard to get an A, its called challenging yourself mate!
afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
http://www.gradeinfo.co.uk/
thankyou!!
thetoothfairy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

Well yes...maybe...but I was kind of expecting A*...I mean, im not tyring to sound cocky, but I took that history paper to town and raped and murdered it (or so i thought lol)

Latin....well, ye, i never really got it, and most days I just copied from my m8 Ed who sits next to me....so ye....but I think its strange that both my A's came in OCR, even though I've taken 3 different boards....oh well....God's will...
thetoothfairy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dumbdunc)
Bogus subject choices? I was forced to do a modern language, I hated it but made the most of it. Then I chose a subject I expected a C/B in (art) and worked ridiculously hard to get an A, its called challenging yourself mate!
lol I think its standard for most schools to make their students to a modern language....I had to do french, hated it, but as long as I got the A*, i honestly couldnt be pissed....

I know its my own fault for not getting the grades, but I know I would have got an A* if I had done spanish instead of either latin and history....Its annoying when ppl say, 'do what u like', and 'do what u enjoy'....I mean, I would hate to do spanish AND french, but if I would have got an A*, who gives a ****, you know?

I mean, now, for A level, I really get to do what I want, to a further extent than GCSE's....no crappy Eng Lit, French, History and Latin! lol

But whatever, I cant complain, I've still done OK, and all is in God's hands....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.2%
Leave (425)
20.8%

Watched Threads