Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    who cares how downing plays for england, he puts in good performances week in week out for the boro so thats what counts.

otherwise everybody would have been after milan baros after euro 2004 :laughing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anelka9)
    who cares how downing plays for england, he puts in good performances week in week out for the boro so thats what counts.

otherwise everybody would have been after milan baros after euro 2004 :laughing:
    exactly my point mate glad someone agrees!

ReputationRep:
    I still think Downing is being used a scapegoat for England, the fact we have Rooney and Defoe up front, the two shortest men in the history of football doesn't do much for Downings crosses

ReputationRep:
    Downing for me is one of those players who doesn't quite make the grade at international level. He's a great player for a team like Middlesbrough I think where he is the main man, or 'one of the stars' if you like. When your surrounded by players who have high profile reputations and get all the press, players like Downing seem to get lost and as a result never really perform. I can think of many other like him, Andy Johnson is another, and maybe even Defoe. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking when a player joins up with the England squad he should be no different to how he is for his club. It doesn't work like that in reality, the transition from club, especially from one outside the 'top four' makes life very hard for players. At the moment even Rooney is finding it difficult. Downing's just not right for England unfortunately for him imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FK)
    Downing for me is one of those players who doesn't quite make the grade at international level. He's a great player for a team like Middlesbrough I think where he is the main man, or 'one of the stars' if you like. When your surrounded by players who have high profile reputations and get all the press, players like Downing seem to get lost and as a result never really perform. I can think of many other like him, Andy Johnson is another, and maybe even Defoe. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking when a player joins up with the England squad he should be no different to how he is for his club. It doesn't work like that in reality, the transition from club, especially from one outside the 'top four' makes life very hard for players. At the moment even Rooney is finding it difficult. Downing's just not right for England unfortunately for him imo.
    yes exactly, good post. here at boro he is our best player by a mile and almost godlike. however he is not world class, and struggles to impress at international level, where this is the big 4 clique eg terry lampard coles rooney. downing doesnt really fit in, and shouldnt get too down. ye, hes ridiculously made a scapegoat too much of the time. rooney and defoe for downings crossing ability? it was a bit strange

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why Downing came in for criticism and it must stem from this whole big 4 clique thing. He was asked to play left wing, and he did that. His main strengths are his crossing ability. When he's being asked to cross balls to players who don't work off crosses, you have to ask what exactly was he selected for? Had we played Crouch or a more robust target man, you would have seen his ability.

Sure his set-pieces were weak at times, but did Lampard do any better?

I think Stewie is a great players but with the current players we have in the England setup, Young and Cole are probably the two better options on the left hand side.

ReputationRep:
    its amazing why ''world-class'' managers like capello etc cant see what the people above me have said. hmm.

ReputationRep:
    yes exactly lads. downing is a great player in the boro team, but he doesnt fit into the england team well. cole and young fit into the england set up easier. i reckon that if we bought joe cole, he would struggle to play well for us due to us playing a fast counter attacking game, whereas i think hes more used to a slower, passing game.

ReputationRep:
    mfc, i noticed wigan were a bit generous with their allocation we got given 4,000 tickets.

ReputationRep:
    aye mate read it earlier, go on sale tomora. al get myself down there this weekend and get some for me and however many mates are up for it! 15£ isnt bad as well! btw i reckon we'll bring maybe 3,000, doubt we'll sell the full allocation. btw mate dya know how many weve sold for pompey away on saturday?

ReputationRep:
    i think we're taking 498 + me and my dad

ReputationRep:
    lol thats not bad considering how far away it is sing all game as usual mate il be singing from in the boro somehow:P

ReputationRep:
    we took around 1200 in the end, which is brilliant. shame about the result though, liverpool game all over again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danmccolm)
    we took around 1200 in the end, which is brilliant. shame about the result though, liverpool game all over again.
    yeah on MOTD our end looked basically full which is fantastic and on radio tees a cud hear yous all through the match, until defoes second . yep liverpool all over again, last season all over again. its stupid now how many late goals we concede, and theyer costing us.

late goals this season so far:
    tottenham 1 late goal - 0 points lost
    liverpool 2 late goals - 3 points lost
    pompey 1 late goal - 1 point lost-

without late goals this season we would be on 10 points by now, and near the top. we need to cut it out urgently.

last season it was the same:

reading mackems both games west ham eg the list goes on!

what was the opinion of the boro fans in the ground after yesterday?

ReputationRep:
    They all thought we looked a bit limp in the second half, Alves looked poor. Everyone thought that we deserved to lose, simply because we were so poor in the second half. We were all over them in the first half, but in the second half, Pompey came out on fire. Hopefully we'll beat the mackems next week

ReputationRep:
    Good game... Good Game...

Your defence was great to start, and then just started to fall apart.

One positive from you was bringing O'Neil back home.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    what did you think of our support?

ReputationRep:
    Not bad at all. Could have been better, but it's better then most that have been to Fratton.

Noticed there were a few empty seats, but i might have been seeing things :eek:

Was it easy for you to park in Pompey?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there were a few empty seats, but that's because we live 300 miles away I didn't park in Pompey, I parked in Southampton and got the train from there.

ReputationRep:
    Smart move :yy:

300 miles is no excuse, Pompey fans mostly fill up away stands on away games :p:

Nevermind though, was a good game, unlucky for those who didn't make it.

Afonso Alves & Mido are going to be dangerous this season. No doubt.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 28, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.