Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't someone just lock this

ReputationRep:
    The MOBO also recognizes and awards homophobia. This is another reason why it should be stopped.

ReputationRep:
    oops my bad i thought u sed 1990's not 1900's i apologise

ReputationRep:
    When are the MOBOs anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie1989)
    whether it was popularised in the early 90's or not doesnt mean anythin. ''black'' music such as motown and northern and southern soul was actually popularised in the 50's-60's , unless u someone forget that stevie wonder , aretha franklin and the stupremes, ETC are black too. black music in the early 90's mainly was euro dance, rhythm is dancer for instance, and although i love that song it isnt black music
    I said 1900s, not 1990s. There is a difference.

EDIT: Fair enough, you just noticed that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i am a duck)
    Why doesn't someone just lock this

why? this is a debate. I'm not being abusive.

ReputationRep:
    it'd a stupid debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i am a duck)
    it'd a stupid debate.
    in your opinion.

so because YOU THINK it's stupid , it should locked for everyone else?
    what planet are you on?

ReputationRep:
    Max trollage.

ReputationRep:
    homophobia is a good point but u cant blame ''black'' music for that.

although regae, on the other hand, you can. we just did that for a couple of weeks just gone and its crazy how bad it is. i saw somehtin on tv yesterday morning about it actually about elephant man in particular saying "kill the black man" and then saying he isnt as homophobic now in his lyrics because it means he looses money in ticket sale, not because its wrong?

anyway yea so u cant blame the mobo's for homophobia, but everything else i agree with you about

ReputationRep:
    yes we can't blame black music for it, I agree.

MOBO gave awards to artists that sang about murdering gay people. That's not right imo, we live in 21st century.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    Max trollage.
    who's he?

ReputationRep:
    ah didnt think about that. didnt nme put pete dohety up for male of the year though. that could be seen just as badly. i think all music awards need to think more before they give out awards and also who they invite onto the show

ReputationRep:
    NME bum Pete Doherty.

ReputationRep:
    sorry i spelt his name wrong. and ye they do but does anyone know why :s i think hes over rated just like amy winehouse is, ill probably get slated for that!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, *trying very hard to comprehend Mr. President's pov*, even though I entirely disagree with it, I guess your chagrin comes from the fact that it is entitled Music of Black Origin. You think this is a racist title. I disagree. You would not have a problem if it was called: MOBSH - Music of Blues, Soul, Hip-Hop. Or something similiar, right? But blues, soul and hip-hop are music of black origin, therefore 'black origin' is a term to encompass all of the previous stated music genres. I could understand your discomfort if the awards were Music of Black People, or Music Made by Black People, but it is not about the artists and acts themselves, it is about the music genre.

Music of 'black origin' is just used as an umbrella term to include R'n'B, soul, blues, hip-hop etc so on and so forth, because these genres are mainly of black origin. You could just as easily say that indie pop is music of white origin (disregarding afro-beat influences etc). It is not music of white people, it is of origin.

The music genre does not = racial segregation. eg. Eminem dominating in music genres of black origin. Lightspeed Champion, Kele Okereke dominating in a music genre traditionally seen as "white".

You are misunderstanding the term 'black origin' and the fact that it denotes the traditional genre of music in the competition rather the current artists of the music.

EDIT: I think measures have been established now in regards to the homophobic lyrics of some particular artists. eg. Beanie Man was not allowed to perform gigs in the UK I think, whilst he would be espousing homophobic sentiments in his lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    No, you've got my support there. 100% agree with you, I don't like either of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stony Steve Lemon)
    NME bum Pete Doherty.
    with good reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie1989)
    ah didnt think about that. didnt nme put pete dohety up for male of the year though. that could be seen just as badly. i think all music awards need to think more before they give out awards and also who they invite onto the show

Hmm, well yes to a certain extent I agree with u, but you have to be careful to avoide censorship. I mean, I agree with you that PDoherty is overrated and is some stupid idol for NME 13 year olds, but my objection to his NME presence and accolades is not because his is a drug addict but rather because his output of music has been v low and not all that great recently. If he was truly a musical genius and also a drug addict, I would not have a problem with him being recognised by the music industry. Personally, this is why Winehouse's troubles are less of an inhibition I think to me, and widespread events, recognising her achievements because she is such a good talent.

Doesn't matter when the NME think though. They are a joke. I mean, they made Pete Doherty the coolest man alive when his musical output was nowt but slurring and he spent all his time with a needle in his arm. At least now he has put out a few good Babyshambles EPs.

ReputationRep:
    Pete Doherty should be in jail and not picking up awards at these stupid ceremonies.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.