Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So your gran gets approx £30 a week for you from child benefit+working families tax credits, and at the moment she is giving you £22.50. That leaves her £7.50 for the rest of your expense of living in that household. That is so little. Gas, electricity, water, council tax, and food have all just gone up considerably in price making everyone feel the crunch a bit more. Even before these recent price rises I would like to see you affor d even just food (breakfast and dinner) to even a meagre standard of eating on £7.50 let alone a small contribution towards all the utilities you use (gas, electric etc). You have to remember as well, that if she is living off her pension, the value of the amount of money she gets goes down every year. Say she is guaranteed £80 a week from the government in state pension, every year that rises at less than the rate of inflation making her effectively more stretched for cash each year.

You are ridiculous complaining about buying your own stuff an clothes at the age of 18. Use your EMA for your bus pass, get a packed lunch, and bloody grow up. And as for your sister £30 a week is well enough for her if she has limited outgoings. Even is she has to buy school things and clothes. You are going to be in for a shock at uni.

PS. Get some respect for your grandmother who has to put up with an arse of a ungrateful grandchild like yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    oh come on.. he isn't exactly spoint is he, he just dosn't manage his money well, £3 a day for food? why not get a packlunch, and i swear you can get free school meals if you're on child tax credit, and also don't under 18 year olds qualify for free travel?

if i were you i'd tell you grandma to buy you a bike, and make you a pack lunch
    noo he isn't spoint..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lincs_b)
    Child benefit for the eldest child is only £17.50 p/w.
    Exactly, so the OP's grandmother is ~£20 out of pocket, per month, and he/she is ungrateful! :confused: :eek:

£20 a month out of her earning is not all that bad.

Thats what its there for.

Most of you are saying all all her pension is hers (in a sense it is) but if she was working would all her earnings be hers and not a penny go to me. I think not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Most of you are saying all all her pension is hers (in a sense it is) but if she was working would all her earnings be hers and not a penny go to me. I think not.
    If she was earning, she'd be earning a damn sight more than she does through her pension. At 18, you should be ashamed that you're such a lazy arse that you'd rather take money from a pensioner than actually sacrifice your holiday and use the money you're given by the government for what it's actually for.

ReputationRep:

I'm confused to what you mean?
    Pensions are paid by contributions so she'll have already worked for her money.

ReputationRep:

Get a job yourself instead of trying to scrounge her hard EARNED ££££....

you really don't seem worth it, burning a whole in her money when you're obviously very ungrateful.

ReputationRep:

it's her money though, you're 18 she no longer has to be your guardian. She earnt her pension, it's HERS you freak. It's not there for you to help yourself! Earn your own ****ing money.

If i could get a job, which i am looking for i would happily earn my way.

Thanks for the well...some good posts.

ReputationRep:

People calling you on your bad behaviour doesn't make their posts any less 'good'. Just because you don't like hearing what a brat you are, doesn't make it any less true. Everyone is capable of getting a job, supermarkets and other retail stores are hiring all the time.

No, no they're not. Not at all

ReputationRep:

Oh christ it isn't hard.

ReputationRep:

N0 PROBLEM!!

ReputationRep:
    ps i don't think this deserves to be Anon it's hardly a "personal problem"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lincs_b)
    Child benefit can pay for anything think rent, food, clothing it all adds up. Your EMA is meant to pay for your travelling to and from school and food as well as books.
    You sound like a spoilt brat, I was thrown out at 16 and unable to support myself whilst I got an education. You should think yourself lucky not go on the holiday and apologise to your nan.

Exactly, i lived alone from the age of 16 aswell as its not easy to pay the bills. Infact its a struggle to survive. You should always have respect for your grandmother dont disrespect her like that. Im sure shes not doing that to be nasty.

ReputationRep:

Right.. I've tried to be polite, but this is ridiculous.

Her money is precisely that: her money. If £20/week is such a pittance for her to be spending on you (which it's not, considering it's coming out of a pension) then it shouldn't be too difficult for you to earn yourself. So get your own job - it's not that hard, if you're not too picky.

And what on earth do you mean by "in a sense it is [hers]" - of course it's hers! :confused: Pensions aren't plucked from the money tree y'know - she would have paid into a pension fund over her lifetime in order to get it. :rolleyes: And even if she were still earning money, she'd have every right not to give any of it to you.

*sigh*

I don't understand how you can be so ungrateful, I really don't.

ReputationRep:

pension is a lot less than if she was earning a wage. She should chuck you out and see how you cope by yourself, then maybe you ll understand, rather than expecting everything to be handed to you on a silver plate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolilady---O)
    noo he isn't spoint..
    last time i checked, you were spoilt when you got everything you wanted..

ReputationRep:
    Theres no such word as SPOINT :cool:

oh forget it.........

ReputationRep:
    Leave him alone, he's explained it all, and is looking for a job! :mad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.