New York, New York!! Watch

cynthiahxp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by veggie4life)
Thanks thats SO helpful !!

What are New Yorkers like towards the British?

Im staying in 7th avenue hote penn am I near any must see's lol?
Hmm, NYers represent such a diverse range of people so it's hard to say there's like one general opinion. The majority of them forget that London is not all of England, like for example when I went to Ox last summer they were like how was London, repeatedly. They expect everyone to have these really posh accents and act proper. But these are the less traveled less cultured people. I think there's just genuine curiousity in most since everyone likes British music/fashion. There's no hate or anything like that.

Hotel Penn is right across the street from Madison Sq Garden (it's a big sports/music arena). It's also next to the studios for a music television show called Fuse where they'll often have live bands (they had Death Cab for Cutie once) and if you ask I'm sure you could sit in on a show.
It's on 34th street so there's lots of stores and tourists, you can walk up to 42nd street Times Square very easily.

I really do strongly encourage you to go to Brooklyn though, there's less tourists and you'll get a real feel you know?

Only downer about coming here is that if you're under 21 you can't legally drink :mad: There are places that disregard this though lol
Amelorn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This may sound idiotic, but if you are a coin collector or wish to pick up silver jewelry, it's cheaper, as it isn't taxed with a VAT.

As someone who lives in New York, I'll tell you that the city (suburbanites like myself just call it "the city") loses its appeal quickly for those who commute and work in it daily. Take the New Years ball dropping. Few native New Yorkers go to that. WHo wants to stand for hours, freezing, with NO TOILET? Morons from out of state and naive foreigners.
A reversal of traveling is true, too. A visitor to London will be awed by the Tower of London, the palace, piccadilly square, Trafalgar square, Regent's park etc, but miss the poverty and other undesireable aspects.

I would highly advise you to visit the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) or the New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX. Visit the NYSE at 3pm or the NYMEX at any time. Visit on a weekday (trading days). At 3 p.m. on the NYSE, the last hour of trading begins...which is frenzied and frenetic...if you like that sort of thing. At the NYMEX, you would be amazed at how hyper and excited adult men (financiers) could be...especially if you visit the oil pit. That's excitement and raw energy.

Statue of liberty, Ellis Island, Empire State Building (once again tallest building in NYC), Chrysler building, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Fifth Avenue, Central Park, etc.

As for CHinese food, chinatown can be a mixed bag. SOme places are great, others suck. If you are willing to brave a 30 minute train ride to Long Island, I would tell you to visit the Orchid in Garden City. It's among the nation's finest Asian restaurants.

I would also advise visiting Coney Island. It's a far cry from it's heyday in pre-WWII times, but it's still worth visiting...for the rides and hot dogs. Stay away from Staten Island...it stinks. Literally.

Keep your eyes open on the subway....strange characters and such abound. Carry a wallet in your side pockets, not your back pockets. Try and leave passports in the hotel...LOCKED. Beware of street vendors selling knock-off crap. Try not to eat too much of our food. It will make you fat! Although you should eat at a diner once...just to see how much an American is expected to fit into his stomach! Beware of hookers....all too often they are cops.
davemhall88
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chase Me)
17 hours to China?! Where in China were you going and where did you fly from?
Heathrow to Beijing
Peter North
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
im in new york now, and its fecking awesome!!!!!!!
davemhall88
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Peter North)
im in new york now, and its fecking awesome!!!!!!!
awesome, glad you are enjoying it, its great - make sure to take lots of pictures
veggie4life
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
glad your having fun peter !

Where would everyone say THE best single place to shop is (for guys)
Edvics
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hoppin' in late here, but good luck if you decide to catch a baseball game. With this being the last year that both the Mets and Yankees are playing in their stadiums (new ones next year) tickets will be harder to come by ... esp. Yankees. If you can though, I highly suggest it ... see the house that Ruth built!

Central Park is great to take a tour through, and its right near the Museum of Natural History.

Little Italy really is little ... 2-3 blocks. If you go, definitely eat at Vincents and ask to sample their sauces before choosing your meal and they'll bring out bowls of sweet, mild and hot sauces with bread - great stuff!
Amelorn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Hmm...Abercrombie and Fitch is the most fashionable. PacSun, American Eagle, and such are also popular.
davemhall88
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Macy's or Century 21. I got loads of cheap shirts, t-shirts and jeans in both
veggie4life
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just found out i'm flying with AA and not British Airways. I want to cry in horror.
Dr.Funk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
New York, New York..

..42nd street..
the_victor
Report 10 years ago
Chinatown is neat, but watch your wallet. Friend got his pickpocketed and I saw a lady get her bag stolen all within the course of about an hour. New York was rated the friendliest city in the US, which is nice.

Edit: Also the stuff that the street vendors sell and claim to be "genuine", isn't. Just go to the store that they are standing infront of and you can usually get comparable prices for the real deal.
cynthiahxp
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by the_victor)
New York was rated the friendliest city in the US, which is nice. .
Not to be a downer, but I can't see how this is true. , guess it depends on perception. Wish it was though!

Anyone Brits on here in NY right now???
the_victor
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cynthiahxp)
Not to be a downer, but I can't see how this is true. , guess it depends on perception. Wish it was though!

Anyone Brits on here in NY right now???
Wasn't my opinion. I saw it on an Oprah show once. (no, being a male, I do not watch Oprah it was only on because I neglected to flick the channel, although it is a good show and nothing against those that do watch it). Ottawa is definately the most friendly city in North America. This fact has nothing to do with my close ties to it at all.
Edvics
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cynthiahxp)
I always find people in the city to be really friendly when I go in, and I'm in at least once a month. That's not to say I don't see the typical new york stuff (cabbies flipping people off, crazies on the subway, etc..), but whenever I've needed help with something I find people to be more accommodating than in the nyc metro 'burbs I live.
Johnni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just found out i'm flying with AA and not British Airways. I want to cry in horror.
AA ain't that bad, the times i been to NY i used them and they were fine, the food's terrible lol but that the only thing i feel.
Peter North
Rep:
?
well im back

brilliant holiday, new york is amazing!!

Flew with delta, thought they would be crappy, but they were better than anyone ive flown with before, and they were real cheap. The food was fine, two meals and snacks, loads of drinks too. I was satisified, and I eat a hell of a lot since I weight train. The in flight entertainment system was awesome - had a choice of over 20 latest movies, including I am legend etc

My apartment was right on timesquare, like 1min walk away at most - however, either the landlord or cleaner stole $500 from us (which landlord gave back to us (whether he stole it or not)). Other than the money being stolen, the apartment was great - and cheaper than hotels and most of the hostels I looked at. The guy who owned it was sound, any problems we could call him 24hours and he would sort it. If it was the cleaner who stole the money, it was really generous of him to give us the 500$ out of his own pocket.

Shopped a lot, saw a load of sights, cant go wrong

Someone recommened me in this thread to go to Woodbury Common for shopping - I did - it was worth it ($40 bus ticket however!) - over 220 stores, mostly designer, all cheap!!

Spent every last penny

Can't wait till I go again, just wish I spent more time in central park, only went there once and I loved it

If anyones interested, here's a video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ukpuzFOu53k

so yeh, new york is awesome!!

any questions?
Edvics
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Glad you enjoyed your trip! Where abouts in the uk are ya?
Peter North
Rep:
?
im from Wales in the UK
veggie4life
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
looks like you had an awesome time !!
What would you say are the top ten things to do ?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (365)
46.03%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (243)
30.64%
I don't have an opinion (185)
23.33%

Watched Threads