Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by couture_kid)
    Becuase some (not all) of them are "brainwashed" by Fox TV
    Do you watch Family Guy, Futurama, the Simpsons or American Dad? If so the you too are brainwashed by fox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    The US has a damn good reason to be arrogant.
    I agree. They govern the world, not merely with their fists, but with their ingenuity and diligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    Do you watch Family Guy, Futurama, the Simpsons or American Dad? If so the you too are brainwashed by fox.
    I think he meant Fox News.

ReputationRep:
    Haha at the American love.

Get real!

Europe is a much greater place to live!

There is so much wrong with America you could fill the whole thread up.

ReputationRep:
    The US has a damn good reason to be arrogant.
    Maybe Dan, but it really isn't in the US best interest to be so...or have a president that acts that way.

I see the latest "anti-yank" thread has actually developed into intresting discussions, occasionally prodded on by ignorant comments from the "red jewel bad rep" set.....

Anyway, I feel some British TV programs are very good, otherwise I wouldn't TIVO them on BBCA.......

what else, what else.. oh... to all the sane brits...why do some people believe all these paranoid conspiracy theories about black helicopters being sent if you mouth off about the government....? And the paranoia about seeing a yank walking about with a generic flag t-shirt...... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    sorry, i meant Fox News. And no, i dont watch any of those programs actually, do you?

ReputationRep:
    The Americans lead the charge in technology, human rights(negotiably), military, economy, and are a political titan. They have a damn right to be proud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by couture_kid)
    sorry, i meant Fox News. And no, i dont watch any of those programs actually, do you?
    Just the Simpsons. The other three are quite stupid, and rely of plagiarising much of the Simpsons for themes, plots and humour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caspiantiger)
    Europe is a much greater place to live!
    Why?

(Original post by Caspiantiger)
    There is so much wrong with America you could fill the whole thread up.
    Every nation has its flaws, especially for a country as complex as the United States.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    Ok, I'm sure not all Americans are like this, but certainly the ones I've spoken to and read post made by online seem to flip at the slightest hint of any critism about their beloved government or way of life. They seem to genuinely believe that they have the best standard of living and that there are no poor people in their country. They also have this believe that is drummed into them from kids that they are the freest country in the world and every other country craves for freedom like America's.

Admittedly, there are some extremely intelligent and enlightened Americans who manage to see through the propaganda that they are force-fed in schools and TV, but a large amount seem to just live in fantacy when it comes to their views on the US's place in the world.

Their government also seems to believe their absolutely incapable of doing anything wrong. When any attrocity happens around the world, prehaps a natural disaster or something, the US government are always the first to condemn a country about their handling of the situation, yet they seem to forget entirely the complete mess-up New Orleans was. It amazes me how a government can completely to write of an entire city. New Orleans has been virtually abandoned by the government.

Your opinions?

Haha, just as expected, the neg reps are all coming in from people who are blatantly Yanks, pretty much proving my theory.
    Because they're all fat and stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClivePounds)
    Because they're all fat and stupid
    Bill Gates does not strike me as either fat or stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2026)
    Bill Gates doesn't strike me as being the average american.

American inequality is higher than in Europe, America has a bigger problem with racism than Europe - just look at all the people saying they won't vote for obama as he is black right now and America is incredibly obese and unhealthy - in certain regions of the USA child mortality is on a par with sub saharan africa - all because you can't have universal health care because the wealthy don't want to pay for it and because pharmacuetical companies lobby against it.

America is also the most hypocritical country currently in existence, primarily my reason for disliking it, abstract as 'it' may be, a country which purports to be free and to sponsor freedom yet creates dictators when it wishes, supplies illegal arms and allows torture. America has no moral authority left in the world any more .

ReputationRep:
    The Americans lead the charge in technology, human rights(negotiably), military, economy, and are a political titan. They have a damn right to be proud.
    Technology - Hmm...not so sure.
    Human rights - you're having a laugh.
    Economy - yup, though not for long.
    Military - well they do spend obscene amounts so it had better be good! And their clout in Asia is limited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2026)
    His sidekick, Steve Ballmer, most definitely is though. And he's the 'brains' behind Microsoft thesedays really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2026)
    Why?

Every nation has its flaws, especially for a country as complex as the United States.
    Just one issue. The average working week for an America is between 50 - 60 hours a week compared to Holland where it is 35 hours. I believe also that Holland has higher average earnings for its people.

America is just a big colossus, but definetly not the best palce to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Your language is becoming more American.

Your music is a pale imitation of ours.
    You're other statements debatabely have some truth, but that is the biggest load of ****e I've heard in a while. If anything, it's the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjpp)
    American inequality is higher than in Europe
    Yet greater overall wealth.

(Original post by jjpp)
    America has a bigger problem with racism than Europe - just look at all the people saying they won't vote for obama as he is black right now
    That's simply not true.

Firstly, you would have to define your use of the term 'Europe'. Do you mean merely Western Europe? Or the European Union? Or geopgraical Europe, which covers Ukraine, Armenia and etc? If you're referring to anything other than Western Europe, then your argument does not hold. Eastern Europe is infamous for it's intolerance.

Secondly, at least in the US someone like Obama has a realistic chance of becoming the Head of State. There has never been an equivalent in any country in Europe.

(Original post by jjpp)
    and America is incredibly obese and unhealthy
    Scotland is not too far off. Europe, generally, is catching up.

(Original post by jjpp)
    in certain regions of the USA child mortality is on a par with sub saharan africa - all because you can't have universal health care because the wealthy don't want to pay for it and because pharmacuetical companies lobby against it.
    It's not as if universal healthcare is a settled issue here in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2026)
    That alone is a rather dud argument in the face of greater inequality.

Compare median incomes in the USA and UK (I genuinely don't know, but I suspect it might be revealing).

Just because the super rich are richer in the USA than anywhere else says very little about the 'average' wealth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StraightDrive)
    Compare median incomes in the USA and UK (I genuinely don't know, but I suspect it might be revealing).

Just because the super rich are richer in the USA than anywhere else says very little about the 'average' wealth.
    Well income inequality is growing here in the UK, as is happening across Europe.

Plus, unemployment is lower in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2026)

That's simply not true.

Firstly, you would have to define your use of the term 'Europe'. Do you mean merely Western Europe? Or the European Union? Or geopgraical Europe, which covers Ukraine, Armenia and etc? If you're referring to anything other than Western Europe, then your argument does not hold. Eastern Europe is infamous for it's intolerance.

It's not as if universal healthcare is a settled issue here in Europe.
    I'm referrring to Western Europe which America is typically compared to.

America has greater overall wealth but it has incredible poverty that's the more important point - saying it has greater overall wealth means nothing other than that it is more exploitative. What kind of society has so much wealth and does so little to help its poor?

Universal healthcare is a settled issue in Europe - it exists! That's the point . The WHO ranks the USA as 37th in the world for healtcare , 37th for the richest country in the world! it's pathetic.

as for the United States education system once again pathetic.

you dodged my attack on foreign policy also.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.