Turn on thread page Beta

UK National Blood Service doesn't accept non-heterosexual blood. Homophobia? watch

• View Poll Results: Should practising Homosexuals be allowed to donate blood? (Public Poll)
    Yes - provided they've not had unprotected sex in the last three months
    49.19%
    No -Not at all.
    50.81%

ReputationRep:
    I, personally, would gladly accept the blood of a gay man, especially if I was going to die without it.

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't there an answer which is simply "Yes". I mean, it is perfectly ok for heterosexual men to give blood even if they have had sex in the last three month (unprotected I mean). Nowadays, the homosexual community is a lot more careful than the straight one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    I, personally, would gladly accept the blood of a gay man, especially if I was going to die without it.
    Yes if that were the case most of us would, but we have a choice between a homosexual and a hetrosexual here now? I would choose the safest bet statisically as we have the choice.

ReputationRep:
    Well then, perhaps that's a different poll - maybe NOBODY should give blood if they've had unprotected sex in the last three months?

But the statistics can't be argued with -

Anal intercourse carries a greater risk of transmission

and a high proportion of gay men have anal intercourse - so are more likely to transmit it. I think it's reasonable to have *SOME* restriction on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaywil)
    maybe NOBODY should give blood if they've had unprotected sex in the last three months?
    Would that include people in long term relationships as well?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    Yes if that were the case most of us would, but we have a choice between a homosexual and a hetrosexual here now? I would choose the safest bet statisically as we have the choice.
    I wouldn't care. Straight people do heroin, and sex with people with AIDs. Straight people could have AIDs from their parents.

It's the same risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    I suppose it would have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    you see the difficulty in making reforms to the rules which are fair?
    I wasn't seriously suggesting that, just highlighting the issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    I sex with people with AIDs. Straight people could have AIDs from their parents.

It's the same risk.
    Sorry -sorry.....
    But HIV ISNT Aids.

you can't get AIDS from your parents, you get HIV from your parents.

maybe im being anal over terms (excuse the pun) But I think it's important that people understand the difference between HIV and Aids

HIV is passed from person to person.
    Aids isn't
    HIV CAN lead people to have AIDS. but not everyone with HIV has AIDS. nor will they DEFINITELY contract AIDS.

(that's a very loose definition, but if you need more explanation - google!)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry -sorry.....
    But HIV ISNT Aids.

you can't get AIDS from your parents, you get HIV from your parents.

maybe im being anal over terms (excuse the pun) But I think it's important that people understand the difference between HIV and Aids

HIV is passed from person to person.
    Aids isn't
    HIV CAN lead people to have AIDS. but not everyone with HIV has AIDS. nor will they DEFINITELY contract AIDS.

(that's a very loose definition, but if you need more explanation - google!)
    You have a point, I apologise.
    However, I don't care. If they're all screened, I don't have a problem. Maybe a kind of donor card could be given out, like if you put your name on a register you're happy to recieve blood from gay men who have been screened.

ReputationRep:
    But screenings can sometimes give false-positives and false-negatives, so why take the risk in the first place? NBS doesnt want to take that risk.

I think the number of people in the world with HIV is what 45,000?

ReputationRep:
    It's a suggestion my friend made.... that people could have a card which confirms their HIV status.

Brilliant! what a great system.
    the other guy could see when you were last tested and then take the risk then (it will ALWAYS be a risk - because the guy you're about to have sex with may have been tested yesterday - but then may have immediately gone out and had an orgy and become infected) but obbviously it's a lesser risk

Unfortunately, such a system would encourage the spread of OTHER infectious diseases.... Unless the card covered all STIs?!

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather have the blood of a loving careful gay couple than some chav who likes to shag as many girls as possible every night he goes clubbing though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I'd rather have the blood of a loving careful gay couple than some chav who likes to shag as many girls as possible every night he goes clubbing though.
    That chav is very unlikely to go to a blood bank really though. I also know that a lot of gay people happen to be in the art community, and on average I would be wary given what now counts as art...

ReputationRep:
    That chav is very unlikely to go to a blood bank really though. I also know that a lot of gay people happen to be in the art community, and on average I would be wary given what now counts as art...
    Yes but the fact that these chavs can still donate blood I have an issue with. No doubt I could have sex with may be one or two different girls once a week, in all 'three main acts' unprotected and still be able to give blood. The rise in STIs and accidental pregnancies amongst heterosexual youngsters suggests contraception isn't being used properly, if at all.

ReputationRep:
    Before you post.... Please remember that ALL Blood is screened for HIV.
    and that MORE straight people in the UK have HIV than Gay men.
    I don't think the screening could be perfect and the second bit is just funny, erm maybe there's more straight men in total?

ReputationRep:
    It's pure homophobia because absolutely anyone having unprotected sex stands a chance of contracting HIV or having it and it not being detected for a few weeks etc because it's not only gay people that get HIV.:rolleyes: It's ridiculous.:mad:
    If that's what they believe they have idiots working for them to not realise that.
    Grrrr :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by only nihilism)
    I don't think the screening could be perfect and the second bit is just funny, erm maybe there's more straight men in total? All that bumming is doing nothing for your brain.
    It's 0.0001% Accurate.
    and, I didn't say that there weren't more straight men in total?

I don't appreciate the suggestion that being gay effects my mental capacity - thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It's 0.0001% Accurate.
    and, I didn't say that there weren't more straight men in total?

I don't appreciate the suggestion that being gay effects my mental capacity - thanks.
    I'm guessing you pulled that statistic out your arse (pun not intended), and when you think about the amount of blood moved that probably equates to some kids getting it eventually.

Good because I said that it wasn't lolz.

ReputationRep:
    that is the figure that's quoted on blood with has been donated.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.