D&D Religion's "Ask About Sikhism" Thread Watch

nothingspek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Also, if Sikh's believe in one God, the same God as Christians, why do they not worship in the same Church?
Akhoza
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nothingspek)
Why do Sikh men have the last name Singh and all women, have the last name Kaur?
The tenth Guru gave Sikh men the surname Singh (lion) and women Kaur (princess) to show equality and that we are all the same
g_star_raw_1989
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
Why do Sikh men have the last name Singh and all women, have the last name Kaur?
They were given to all Sikhs, to end the caste sysem and social diffences. As in India, one's surname revealed their social class; this freed people from the caste system, and asserted equality.

It also, signifys a womens independence from father and husband.

In addtion, it's now used as a middle name, rather than a surname.
Akhoza
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Also, if Sikh's believe in one God, the same God as Christians, why do they not worship in the same Church?
Sikhs believe there are many paths to God and they choose to worship God in their own way and accept other religions.
nothingspek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
They were given to all Sikhs, to end the caste sysem and social diffences. As in India, one's surname revealed their social class; this freed people from the caste system, and asserted equality.

It also, signifys a womens independence from father and husband.

In addtion, it's now used as a middle name, rather than a surname.
What's the 'Caste System'?
USingh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Because in Sikhism it is the Guru who tells us how to pray, we believe that the prayers we have been given- Gurbani is direct from God and is the way to merge with him.
We believe that since their is only ONE God, then everyone is praying to him, but perhaps haven't got the same thoughts about him.
Akhoza
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sikhism has no place for the caste system but it prevails in all religions in south asia including abrahamic faiths present there, its people who choose to follow culture rather than religion, abit more complicated that that too actually
_H_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MrGuillotine)
On a similar note, following on with the "gift from God" thing, I take it Sikhs have nine inch nails then? If not, why not?
http://www.realsikhism.com/faq/hairnail.html
USingh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
BTW, about the Kirpan, I'll just add that we are allowed to wear up to roughly 7 inches, not 3, as it really has to be around that size for it to be acceptable, if its not usable then its just being turned into a ritual.
As British law has decided its not to be seen as a threat it is allowed
Diaz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How comes there are some sikhs which share beliefs with Islam and other sikhs which share beliefs with hinduism?
g_star_raw_1989
Report 10 years ago
Like a social structure. Here, we have working, middle etc.....

However, in India they are much more pronounced and there are many diffrent levels of caste.

Its more a feature, of the Hindu religion, however was widespreadin India.

It would determine what job you did, where you lived and who you married.

It is less potent now, however, if you saw the series on BBC4 about Indian schools, you would have seen that colleges and Unis, in India have quotas. They have to accept students, of all castes, even if they don't wuite meet the grades.

Anyway, by giving all the same name, this caste system was removed from Sikh society, and allowed equality of oppurtunity.
2PointZero
Report 10 years ago
Regarding hair - does that also mean Sikhs arent allowed to trim/shave/cut their pubic hair at all - if so wouldnt that be slightly unhygienic.
nothingspek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
Like a social structure. Here, we have working, middle etc.....

However, in India they are much more pronounced and there are many diffrent levels of caste.

Its more a feature, of the Hindu religion, however was widespreadin India.

It would determine what job you did, where you lived and who you married.

It is less potent now, however, if you saw the series on BBC4 about Indian schools, you would have seen that colleges and Unis, in India have quotas. They have to accept students, of all castes, even if they don't wuite meet the grades.

Anyway, by giving all the same name, this caste system was removed from Sikh society, and allowed equality of oppurtunity.
So it's just like a hierarchy?
g_star_raw_1989
Report 10 years ago
According to Sikhs : God sit's in the Church, Mosque, Synagogue etc...
Akhoza
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why are you allowed to carry swords around in public?
I saw 3 sikhs in my local swimming baths with them, found it terrible.
I know many Sikhs who carry foot long kirpans, they are all baptised Sikhs and there has never been a case to my knowledge of a baptised Sikh attacking another man with his Kirpan (unless its within the Sikh community lol). In the Sikh temple the gurdwara there are Kirpans placed infront of the holy book infront of every single gurdwara i can think of and my grandparents house too has many kirpans, its an article of faith thats all.
g_star_raw_1989
Report 10 years ago
So it's just like a hierarchy?
Yes, one that dictates someones live, beyond their control. At least it used to.
USingh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BasiConcept)
How comes there are some sikhs which share beliefs with Islam and other sikhs which share beliefs with hinduism?
Sorry, I don't understand the question lol.
If they are following practices of other religions then they are not following Sikhism properly.
I don't want to go too much into politics here but there are certain elements within Panjab especially trying to mess with Sikhism for their own reasons, and are putting out alot of harmful propaganda. But its interesting to note that the majority of Religious sikhs outside of india, mainly UK and USA, are very much purists.
2PointZero
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Akhoza)
I know many Sikhs who carry foot long kirpans, they are all baptised Sikhs and there has never been a case to my knowledge of a baptised Sikh attacking another man with his Kirpan (unless its within the Sikh community lol). In the Sikh temple the gurdwara there are Kirpans placed infront of the holy book infront of every single gurdwara i can think of and my grandparents house too has many kirpans, its an article of faith thats all.
Im sure there was a few cases in Birmingham I think last year where the 'Kirpan' was used or at least people were threatened with them - whether it be between Sikhs or not
USingh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 2PointZero)
Regarding hair - does that also mean Sikhs arent allowed to trim/shave/cut their pubic hair at all - if so wouldnt that be slightly unhygienic.
its natural, how can a natural part of your body be unhygenic unless you don't look after it? Pubic hair is there for a reason, and its perfectly clean if you shower everyday :rolleyes:
Akhoza
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BasiConcept)
Sikhism itself shares beliefs in both religions like reincarnation in Hinduism, an orthodox view of only one God like Islam which is quoted in the scriptures as Allah, Ram etc. The scriptures themselves contain writings of Hindu and Muslim holy men showing that there are many paths to God and people who truely dwell on Gods name are following the right path regardless as what they tag themselves
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise