Stargate. Watch

theredsox
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jace Falco)
This is how I kept up, despite the treacherous Sky+ not recording any of it.

:awesome: Usertitle! Set your sights for the sun :yep:
Well recognised! Though it's not really the most obscure usertitle in the world.

I shall investigate this link of yours. It seems full of promise.
LukeatForest
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Atlantis, whilst being very watchable, has declined ever since they brought the Asurans/Replicators into the show. The Wraith story was going alright but they messed about with it, killing off some excellent characters in the process (Weir and Beckett most notably). Still watch it religiously, but the whole retrovirus and Hoffman virus nonsense has convoluted the show to such an extent that it's no surprise to see it being pulled. Stargate Universe, well, I don't know what to think. They managed to pull another O'Neill out of the bag with Sheppard, but whether they'll find the same iconic figure again to really glue the show together, whilst complimenting him (and it really does need to be a him) with the right blend of characters, I don't know. And a ship carrying forever onwards through the Galaxy, inert, seems a little odd to me.

But we'll see. SGA was better than SG1 for a while, at least in my opinion. If it could have stuck with the Wraith and discovered some civilisations that weren't Neanderthal, 16th Century Europeans, it might even have been among the best sci-fi creations ever. As it was, so many could have beens. It's a shame that we won't see any more of Ronon - a great character for all his simplicity.
Jace Falco
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LukeatForest)
They managed to pull another O'Neill out of the bag with Sheppard, but whether they'll find the same iconic figure again to really glue the show together, whilst complimenting him (and it really does need to be a him) with the right blend of characters, I don't know. And a ship carrying forever onwards through the Galaxy, inert, seems a little odd to me.
Don't know what you've been reading. The idea is that the ship is an Ancient ship programmed to travel through a new galaxy, 'seeding' it with gates. So, it will go to a planet, plant a gate and a DHD there, and then fly off to another planet. The idea is that an SGC team gates onto it and then can't get back, so they use it as an opportunity to explore this new galaxy and its planets - although, obviously they only have a few hours for every planet before they must get back on the ship.

Come on, iconic characters are ten a penny. Either way, this is meant to be something quite different from the other two, so it's hard to know what to expect.

Neanderthal, 16th Century Europeans
:curious:
LukeatForest
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jace Falco)
Don't know what you've been reading. The idea is that the ship is an Ancient ship programmed to travel through a new galaxy, 'seeding' it with gates. So, it will go to a planet, plant a gate and a DHD there, and then fly off to another planet. The idea is that an SGC team gates onto it and then can't get back, so they use it as an opportunity to explore this new galaxy and its planets - although, obviously they only have a few hours for every planet before they must get back on the ship.
Which is exactly what I thought it was, but I don't really care enough at the moment to say anything serious about it. It's just going to be a big, moving Atlantis, with all the same sorts of things as Stargate and Atlantis. If you watch all of SG1 and SGA, you'll see that the two series share a lot of similar episodes. An imagination is necessary to make this work, something a little different. Not that it won't whet my appetite sufficiently if it doesn't do anything different, I'd just like to see a change. And I'd also like an answer - Furlings; where; when; why?

Come on, iconic characters are ten a penny. Either way, this is meant to be something quite different from the other two, so it's hard to know what to expect.
Rubbish iconic characters are ten a penny. SGA messed up early on with Ford and didn't really get me going much with Tayla either. That's not to say the casting was wrong, but it took until Ronon to really get the blend going. A lot of folk on Gateworld are already a bit sceptical (in the negative) about SGU and I'm starting to side with them - I'm not sure at all. I'd rather they have SGA a bit of a reboot, allowed the Wraith to have a bit of a comeback, killed Tayla's baby off and just got it on again. With a new, angry Tayla seeking mega-revenge for her baby's death. In a nutshell, LukeatForest's plan to revive the Stargate Franchise!

:curious:
Stupid, oldie worldie European-looking villages with no streetlights, no technology and some stupid inhabitants. The Stargate archetype; funny how civilisations with access to the most profound technology of all - the Stargate - can be both intellectually backward and socially welcoming. They need to bring in some more aliems and shizzle.
Jace Falco
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LukeatForest)
Which is exactly what I thought it was, but I don't really care enough at the moment to say anything serious about it. It's just going to be a big, moving Atlantis, with all the same sorts of things as Stargate and Atlantis. If you watch all of SG1 and SGA, you'll see that the two series share a lot of similar episodes. An imagination is necessary to make this work, something a little different. Not that it won't whet my appetite sufficiently if it doesn't do anything different, I'd just like to see a change. And I'd also like an answer - Furlings; where; when; why?
So it's not an inert ship...

The Stargate people have said that they plan to take this in a different direction - Atlantis is a clear spin-off from SG-1, and they want to do something different. It remains to be seen how successful this plan will be.

Rubbish iconic characters are ten a penny. SGA messed up early on with Ford and didn't really get me going much with Tayla either. That's not to say the casting was wrong, but it took until Ronon to really get the blend going. A lot of folk on Gateworld are already a bit sceptical (in the negative) about SGU and I'm starting to side with them - I'm not sure at all. I'd rather they have SGA a bit of a reboot, allowed the Wraith to have a bit of a comeback, killed Tayla's baby off and just got it on again. With a new, angry Tayla seeking mega-revenge for her baby's death. In a nutshell, LukeatForest's plan to revive the Stargate Franchise!
Well, nobody can say just yet about what the characters are like. As I've said, they're trying to throw off some of the constraints of the prior two, so they've got a chance to formulate characters in a different way. That said, looking at the characters listed on Wiki, some familiar patterns do begin to make themselves apparent.

Stupid, oldie worldie European-looking villages with no streetlights, no technology and some stupid inhabitants. The Stargate archetype; funny how civilisations with access to the most profound technology of all - the Stargate - can be both intellectually backward and socially welcoming. They need to bring in some more aliems and shizzle.
I know what you meant; I was merely questioning your use of 'Neanderthal' and '16th Century' together.
Big_C.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just watched the last episode of atlantis, was ok enjoyable but not great
Swifter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hope they get new writers for the new series.
Jace Falco
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Stargate Universe? Nope. Writers from both SG-1 and Atlantis.
pumpkin7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
me and my fiance always watch atlantis, though last week it didn't record for some reason. our sky box has been playinmg up lately. does anyone know when the last episode is on or have we missed it? we've got nothing else showing on the sky planner.
Jace Falco
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dunno. Try surfthechannel.com
Big_C.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
piggymoo great for stargate
StarbucK
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can't believe I only just found out Don Davis aka General George Hammond died....bugger.
Swifter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah , they named the new daedalus class ship after him.
big-boss-91
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you spelt frak wrong, and continuum was good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads