Students stabbed and set alight Watch

Lilflipsy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by foxo)
I don't think it's particularly fair to describe a corpse as "lazy". It's hardly got the choice of being energetic.
I mean, when he is caught, not after he is executed.
t.w.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bassoonery)
Well not on its own, but this news adds to my growing feeling of embarrassment at the British attitude towards foreigners in general. My hope is that the deaths were not race-related and that the media's focus on the victims' French nationality is unnecessarily provocative, but on the face of it I feel the media are encouraging us to believe that their French nationality is relevant. I truly hope it is not.
Are you saying the media should have ignored the nationality of the victims? There is absolutely no reason for them to do so.

I have never felt any need to be blindly proud of my nationality, not having been born in England and having moved so many times I don't have many strong roots anywhere.
No-one's asking you to be proud, they're asking you to have a proper reason for being ashamed, like maybe if your country put a few million people in a gas chamber. The reason you gave, apparently something about the British xenophobia towards foreigners that this crime illustrates (how I have no idea), doesn't qualify as a reason at all. There is no reason to be ashamed to be British that has anything to do with this crime.
Lilflipsy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by t.w.)
Are you saying the media should have ignored the nationality of the victims? There is absolutely no reason for them to do so.

No-one's asking you to be proud, they're asking you to have a proper reason for being ashamed, like maybe if your country put a few million people in a gas chamber. The reason you gave, apparently something about the British xenophobia towards foreigners that this crime illustrates (how I have no idea), doesn't qualify as a reason at all. There is no reason to be ashamed to be British that has anything to do with this crime.
There should obviously be no shame about being British just because a murder has happened in London. (and we dont even know who is the killer yet).
s.e.r.e.n.e
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
More news articles:

French students murdered in 'frenzied attack' / CNN International

* Story Highlights
* Police: Victims were bound, stabbed multiple times in head, neck, torso, and back
* Firefighters found bodies in a burned-out apartment in south London
* Both were French students spending summer working at London's Imperial College

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Two French students who were found stabbed to death in a burned-out London apartment were the victims of a "frenzied, brutal, horrific attack," police said Thursday, as they appealed for information about the case.

Laurent Bonomo and Gabriel Ferez, both 23, were bound and stabbed multiple times in the head, neck, torso, and back, said Mick Duthie, a detective with London's Metropolitan Police.

Britain's Press Association reported that the students had been tied up and tortured, suffering up to 250 injuries -- facts the police could not confirm.

"The extent of the injuries are horrific," Duthie told a news conference. "Everyone working on this case, including myself, have been deeply shocked by what we've seen. I have never seen injuries like this throughout my career."

Firefighters found the students' bodies Sunday night after responding to a fire at Bonomo's rented room on a quiet cul-de-sac in south London, police said. They initially believed the men died in the fire, but a post-mortem exam showed they died of the stab wounds.

The fire was the result of an explosion, Duthie said, and the smell of accelerant permeated the area.

Bonomo and Ferez were students at Universite Blaise-Pascale in Clermont Ferrand, France. They had arrived in London in late May to do research at Imperial College and were planning to return to France at the end of July, Duthie said.

Both were graduate biochemistry students and had been studying DNA and the cleansing of protein within DNA, he said.

"Laurent and Gabriel had bright futures ahead of them and it is dreadful that their lives should end so soon," the college's rector, Roy Anderson, said in a statement.

Duthie said it was possible the men were the victims of mistaken identity, but he appealed to the public for any information.

"We cannot understand why these two young men were targeted," Duthie said.

Police were trying to locate a man seen running from the building shortly after the explosion, Duthie said. He said the students could have been killed by more than one person, but whoever stabbed them must have left the scene covered in blood.

"I wouldn't say this was a professional attack -- I would say it's a frenzied, brutal, horrific attack," Duthie said.

He said the room had been broken into six days before the fire, and police were investigating whether the incidents were connected.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/eu...udents.killed/

British police seek witnesses in killings of French students in London / AP

LONDON: Police appealed Thursday for witnesses to help solve the deaths of two French students stabbed dozens of times in the head and neck before being set on fire in their southeast London apartment.

Laurent Bonomo, 23, was stabbed nearly 200 times, while his friend Gabriel Ferez, also 23, suffered nearly 50 stab wounds, authorities said while speaking on condition of anonymity in line with police policy. Investigators believe an accelerant was used, possibly in an attempt to destroy evidence, Britain's Press Association reported.

Neither student had a criminal record.

"I have never seen injuries inflicted to bodies like this before," Detective Chief Inspector Mick Duthie told reporters at a news conference.

Authorities appealed for witnesses in the attack, which took place late Sunday. Authorities found the bodies after responding to reports of an explosion and fire, but only learned how the students died after the post-mortem examination results were delivered Wednesday.

"We are here today because I don't know why these boys were killed or who killed them," Duthie said. "I do believe, however, that those responsible must have been bloodstained when they left."

London has been gripped in recent weeks by a series of stabbing cases involving young people, leading to much soul searching about what has gone wrong with city's troubled youth. But the case of the French students is unique because the pair are foreigners and because of the brutality of the crime.

For a major capital, London has a low murder rate. Police say there were 159 homicides from April 2007 to the same month this year, about a third the number of New York, which is similar in size.

Authorities declined to speculate what might be behind the crime before further toxicology and other tests were completed.

The students were in the second year of a three-year Master's degree in bioengineering in France and had been selected to take part in a three-month research project into DNA at London's Imperial College. They were within weeks of returning home.

"Laurent and Gabriel had bright futures ahead of them, and it is dreadful that their lives should end so soon," Imperial College Rector Sir Roy Anderson said. "I would also like to offer my support to the Imperial community as we mourn the loss of two young members."

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...h-Students.php
foxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lilflipsy)
I mean, when he is caught, not after he is executed.
He was caught, and he has been executed.
sdt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
What's the betting the perpetrator was black in the new cross area?
Unlikely, 196 stabbings is not characteristic of that kind of crime. Pure psycho killings in this case.
Sprout_hair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This is when i think capital punishment is NOT wrong!
kaytee.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rei)
****ing hell that is some barbaric ****, 243 times to the head neck and chest.. I think justice in this case would be torture, then letting them burn alive..
i say bring back the death penalty. might sound harsh but we dont need people like that roaming the streets.
Gimperial
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Erm, I'm sure if they catch the guy he won't be roaming the streets any time soon...

The types of posts I see on this board
josepharthur
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Death strikes Imperial. Who's next, Cambridge?
CHAMON
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by foxo)
His response was to someone who said something along the lines of "This is why I would never live in London".
Ah, I shall read the whole thread before I jump in. Thanks
HCD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by josepharthur)
Death strikes Imperial. Who's next, Cambridge?
Given your status, I'll assume you already knew that this thread existed.
glow stick
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
disgusting.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For a major capital, London has a low murder rate. Police say there were 159 homicides from April 2007 to the same month this year, about a third the number of New York, which is similar in size.
Thought London had overtaken NY in murder terms
HCD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fusion)
Thought London had overtaken NY in murder terms
Apparently not; the IHT is a pretty reliable source. More reliable than our press this side of the pond, at any rate! :p:
welshprincess
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I read about this earlier.
Absolutely disgusting.
I don't know how any human being could be capable of doing something so vile and horrible. I really hope they find out who did this and i hope justice is served. Their families in France must be going through hell
HCD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is anyone up for joining a new society at Imperial? It would be called JusticeSoc. Our activities would be undisclosed, and our funding dubious. :ninja:
feroz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by kaytee.)
i say bring back the death penalty. might sound harsh but we dont need people like that roaming the streets.
IMO, life in solitary is much, much harder than death.
AussieKat
Report 10 years ago
What is this world coming to? Poor guys x
LaurenFah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Terrible news.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads