Jimmocrates
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gregorian IV)
how would you get that?
I think more along the lines of "why would you want that"

The resident jobs i see in this area are still only band 6 (Arrow Parke), and the though of living at work sounds nasty.

On call at present is only a week every few months, and that's bad enough.
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jimmocrates)
I think more along the lines of "why would you want that"

The resident jobs i see in this area are still only band 6 (Arrow Parke), and the though of living at work sounds nasty.

On call at present is only a week every few months, and that's bad enough.
Ah I wouldn't do it for band 6 (actually don't know if I'd do for band 7 lol). Was going to ask - did you start your diploma as soon as you could or are you waiting?
pharmgirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fblade)
I was talking about people who pay for their items. In reality, most people don't pay, they are exempt from paying. For, example, on a Friday we had a 230-something exempt prescriptions and 31 paid. So £ (31*7.10) ~ £220. If a pharmacist gets paid 30k, that is about £125 per day.

Th rest of the money goes to the owner.
I havent been on here for a while but once again I am absolutely shocked at the ignorance shown by people. You seriously think that the prescription charge goes to the pharmacist????? Its an NHS charge, a TAX! The pharmacist get an 80p dispensing fee per prescription. As for the gentleman who thinks that he should have been sold a ventolin inhaler at an airport with no prescription record, no empty container and no evidence that he was on it. Its illegal. He could have been struck off. End of.
pharmgirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And for those that think its low paid....not as bad as vets who start on £21,000. I am having to stay on te pharm register once I qualify as a vet just to pay my debts and mortgage.
pharmgirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by -Emmz-)
Ha. There is so much wrong with this I don't know where to start. Sell you drugs like a shop keeper? Well shop keepers should be selling drugs unless they are general sales lists so obviously pharmacists must have something over a shop keeper in order to sell you pharmacy only medicines. But hmmm yes pharmacists train for 5 years to learn how to work a till and run a shop ... of course they do.

Well of course it's not manned by doctors :rolleyes: talk about stating the obvious. There is so much more to hospital pharmacy than the dispensary. I like how you stated that after asking what hospital pharmacy actually was!

There's a lot of ignorance about what pharmacists do ...
/
Yes Emmz who is this ****? Hospital pharmacy extra income for the hospital. Its an internal supply does he think they sell hair nets there or something? Hospital pharmacy is mostly consultancy based anyway now with MT05 techs running the actual dispensary. And as for income, since when are NHS hospitals income generating??????? Although pharmacists in hospitals do compile formularies that will reduce the drugs bill and release NHS cash for more sick people who would otherwise have gone without treatment. Better stop now or he might have another asthma attack cos he forgot to pack his inhaler and it was all the pharmacists fault.
Jimmocrates
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by -Emmz-)
Ah I wouldn't do it for band 6 (actually don't know if I'd do for band 7 lol). Was going to ask - did you start your diploma as soon as you could or are you waiting?
I'm starting my diploma in september, so i havent left a gap. I kind of wish I had a bit more time, but I am looking forward to getting back to uni.

Its also best to get it out of the way asap.
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But you've been qualified a year haven't you? I have the possible option (depending on how many people want to do it) to start in January. Don't know if it's too soon though cause I'll only have been qualified 5 months.
tedbear
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pharmgirl)
And for those that think its low paid....not as bad as vets who start on £21,000. I am having to stay on te pharm register once I qualify as a vet just to pay my debts and mortgage.
But don't Vets have a higher pay ceiling? (I'm not an authority, just something I read. :p: )
D a v e
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gren1TI)
If you look at the entry requirements and difficulty to get into the courses, the order from hardest to the least hard goes medicine, dentistry, pharmacy.
hmm, at some unis dentistry is much harder to get into than medicine - take Dundee for example, AAAAA at higher for dentistry and AAABB at higher for medicine
TigerSwift
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is that not because dentists are all going private now and getting paid a bujillion pounds and year? Don't quote me on this but its what came to mind.

paying for check ups *narrows eyes and shakes fist*
member9876
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what is this new dentistry contract all about?
member9876
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just been looking at medics pay in training years and it seems they make £1200 after tax,NI and student loan. How much would a pharm pre-reg make then.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by member9876)
Just been looking at medics pay in training years and it seems they make £1200 after tax,NI and student loan. How much would a pharm pre-reg make then.
On basic pay, but most junior doctors get 'banding' on top
member9876
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what's that mean blissy?

I heard most contracts are unbanded.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
where/how did you hear that? All the junior doctors I know have 40-50% banding.
member9876
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
on new media medicine as well as this site.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by member9876)
on new media medicine as well as this site.
Hmmm the new media ones look like mainly old posts? Perhaps people make a lot of noise when they're disgruntled but don't do the same in celebration when they find out their wage is going to be OK?
member9876
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so how much are you saying they make?

well Helenia was saying £1200 aswell.
dr junior
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Seriously ive i had enough so many people are saying pharmacy is not looking or going to be lloooking for the future outlook. quite frankly i agree, the repputation they have is pants to the amount of work they do and amount of studying they de. the pay quite reflects this as they arnt vauled as much. I like the proffession but what u like dosnt relly bring bread home majority of the time, u gotta to be realistic. maybe its time to quit Uni all together and go to a full time in telesales or sumthing!!!!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (378)
37.31%
No - but I will (77)
7.6%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (487)
48.08%

Watched Threads