I want to get a dog, advise me on which breed. (Please.) Watch

nuttygirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
why don't you go to the blue cross/battersea dogs home/somewhere and have a chat to someone there?
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Personally, I'd steer clear of pedigree dogs. Vet bills are extortionate and the exercise they need goes beyond. Also, they dont live as long as mutts and tend to encounter far more health problems.
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Antonia87)
Personally, I'd steer clear of pedigree dogs. Vet bills are extortionate and the exercise they need goes beyond. Also, they dont live as long as mutts and tend to encounter far more health problems.
What do you suggest I do then? Get a mongrel and hope it turns out the way I want it to?
nuttygirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Misogynist)
What do you suggest I do then? Get a mongrel and hope it turns out the way I want it to?
Why don't you go to a rescue place? You can train the dog, just because they're pedigree doesn't mean they're obedient. My boxer's much more stubburn than the doby cross
WoWZa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like that one!
Hey dude! Sup?
Misogynist
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoWZa)
Hey dude! Sup?
Not much
WoWZa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not much
Get a labrador. They are playful, loyal and fun to be with.
Antonia87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nick_the_big)

i dont know how its called!
That would be an Alsatian. Beautiful dogs.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
(Original post by imtired)
You should get a cat.
I already have two
nuttygirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Seriously though, don't get a dog. If you really, really want to, and it doesn't sound like you do, talk to someone in a rescue centre
Misogynist
Rep:
?
(Original post by nuttygirl)
Seriously though, don't get a dog. If you really, really want to, and it doesn't sound like you do, talk to someone in a rescue centre
Why should I call a rescue center? Do you mean I should call the Samaritans? I'm not crazy you know. I'm not suicidal. I'm not suicidal. I'm not sui..
nuttygirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why should I call a rescue center? Do you mean I should call the Samaritans? I'm not crazy you know. I'm not suicidal. I'm not suicidal. I'm not sui..
An animal rescue centre, like the blue cross.
Misogynist
Rep:
?
(Original post by nuttygirl)
An animal rescue centre, like the blue cross.
I don't want a dog that's been rescued though. I'd like an unrescued dog.
nuttygirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why? And even if you don't get a dog from there they can give you advice.
Antonia87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can train ANY dog regardless of breed, regardless of whether its pedigree or not, to how you want it to be. A pedigree isnt BORN tough and protecting, you still have to train it.
I'm just saying a pedigree dog is very high maintenance and a lot of time and money has to be invested in it. Even just buying a pedigree will set you back probably several hundred pounds.
Sarahl89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Please don't get a dog, OP.

Go to battersea / another dogs home & take a look round - you'll see plenty of staffies, german sheppards etc.. and this is because so many people have the attitude you seem to have towards dog handling - the nice idea of getting a nice obedient companion to also look scary & protect them :|.
The reality is quite different, these breeds are prone to being aggresive - which, trust me, really isn't what you want. People can't cope with these dogs in reality so they get abandoned to the dogs home - its not fair on the animal.
Also these aggresive breeds can be quite taken by small fluffy things - really not the best thing to bring into the house with your two persian cats.

When i saw your first post i was going to suggest going to your local dogs home & adopting a dog from there (Not a doberman, german sheppard, or any of the aggresive breeds suggested - they are SO unpredictable, and with no experience, i doubt you'd be able to handle them very well - it'd end up a danger to yourself and other people.)

But now i really think you should definately NOT get a dog. Stick with the cats, please, cause it simply isn't fair on the dog. they do need at least 2 walks a day, and they need a proper routine, and someone with the time and patience to spend with the dog training it - it doesnt seem like it would suit your busy lifestyle, nor your attitude towards keeping a pet. If you do get a dog, it will be a very selfish decision IMO.
Sarahl89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you actually trolling? Some of your opinions seem quite unbelieveable to me. I really truly hope you're not serious by some of the stuff you've said.
bansheeee*
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
"Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die"
Misogynist
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sarahl89)
Are you actually trolling? Some of your opinions seem quite unbelieveable to me. I really truly hope you're not serious by some of the stuff you've said.
No, I'm pretty much not trolling. The only things which I've said which could be construed as ridiculous would be not taking my dog out for four hour walks. I think that's quite reasonable. I don't get that much time a day for me to waste four hours walking a dog around. I don't think I'd find it too pleasurable.

I love the Akita though. I want one of those.
Antonia87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What would be the difference? Its still a dog. Only by adopting a rescued dog you'd be, well, rescuing it. So many dogs ad puppies are abused and abandoned each year, I really think you should consider it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.6%
No - but I will (103)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (638)
47.79%

Watched Threads