UCL more likely to reject you if you apply to Oxbridge? Watch

rainbow drops
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
don't be ridiculous. oxford and cambridge reject around 3/4 people that get to the interview stage anyway, which would affect the majority of people applying to LSE and UCL for economics as well as oxbridge. therefore, LSE and UCL would be needlessly missing out on a lot of very capable candidates. it's complete rubbish and your tutor is an idiot.
Charlski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shyamp)
well i may be exaggerating the definately part, but majority of the time, applicants with those grades will be trying to get into oxbridge.

True, a lot will try, BUT most won't get in. LSE and UCL are NOT going to reject people simply on the basis that they're clever and therefore might have applied to Oxbridge. They WILL reject people on the basis that they don't meet the standards they'e looking for.
Mr M
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kathryn91919)
They could presume candidates have if they applied before October 15th - seems unfair though
In plenty of schools/colleges nationally, the entire cohort of students are encouraged to apply before October 15th regardless of where they are applying. This is simply to prevent the whole process dragging out over a number of months.

No University knows the other institutions to which you have applied. They only find out if you tell them. It is ridiculous to believe they would have be prejudiced anyway. They want to attract the best students they can!
whf555
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
And for all those who think other Unis don't know whether or not u applied to Oxbridge- u've simply got to stop and think again. I mean if you handed you application before oct 15th, you're either a medic or you applied to oxbridge.
There aren't many non oxbridge candidates( apart from the medics, dentists...etc who also have an early deadline) who will have completed their UCAS application by OCT 15th and i know i'm right there.
PeanutButterJellyTime
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i had sent my ucas of before 15th cos i had finished my application
nemnem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is LSE better than oxbridge for economics?
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Boring, this stupid rumor is always doing the rounds. Not worry your pretty little economist heads about it.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rainbow drops)
don't be ridiculous. oxford and cambridge reject around 3/4 people that get to the interview stage anyway, which would affect the majority of people applying to LSE and UCL for economics as well as oxbridge. therefore, LSE and UCL would be needlessly missing out on a lot of very capable candidates. it's complete rubbish and your tutor is an idiot.
Exactly and it's something I forgot to add. It's not as though everyone who applied to Oxford and Cambridge is accepted. Far from it. What's more, Universities over offer. The know that a significant number of applicants will reject them. They wouldn't want to be everyone's "first choice".
Charlski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by whf555)
And for all those who think other Unis don't know whether or not u applied to Oxbridge- u've simply got to stop and think again. I mean if you handed you application before oct 15th, you're either a medic or you applied to oxbridge.
There aren't many non oxbridge candidates( apart from the medics, dentists...etc who also have an early deadline) who will have completed their UCAS application by OCT 15th and i know i'm right there.

I sent mine off before the Oct. 15th deadline, and I'm neither.
TommehR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If this is true, how do you account for the hundreds, probably even thousands of Oxbridge rejects and offerees who are currently at UCL and LSE?
vivieneswi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
unreliable rumours. take me as an example, i apply to oxford and ucl.and the latter has already offered me a place in economics and statistics, but actually the point is my ps is nearly all about economics and some covers politics and philosophy because i apply to ppe in oxford,so it's obvious that they know i'm an oxbridge applicant. btw,i really have no idea how i made up my mind choosing those courses atm when comes to write a ps,but im over it!

as for lse, when its admission tutors came to our school i also questioned her that and she told me they know that situation. It's fine.
I_Am_Abbas
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not true - I certainly hope UCL saw me as oxbridge material and I got an open day offer.

UCL, like any university want the best applicants they can get, and offer several times more offers than they take in places BECAUSE they know many of the applicants they offer places will get into other universities
krisstassen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Your teacher is an idiot, with the greatest respect. It's very unprofessional of him/her to spread this misinformation.

There have always been rumours that the other top unis discriminate against Oxbridge applicants. It's usually made against Durham and Bristol, but also the top UoL institutions also. It's nonsense. They don't know whether or not you've applied to Oxbridge (they can assume that, if you applied before the Oxbridge deadline, then you have but this would be quite an assumption).

Despite what your teacher suggests, you don't place your uni choices in any order. Besides, I know of a few people who would have LSE as their top choice, regardless of their other choices. The truth is, university applications can be a lottery. They are popular and very oversbuscribed courses. Perhaps your schoolmates just didn't have that extra something? What works for one admissions tutor may not work for another. Don't forget that grades are only part of an application, there's the personal statement and references also.
majority of these teachers know nothing!..
my economics teacher said I had a low chance of getting into oxbridge as I had 3As and a B at A level..but I should be good enough to get into the other top unis...

i was like..i really dont think they care as long as you make the AAA grade...at least thats what i heard from other sources..
Madmax
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dont think there is any truth in this, it is all speculation.
I had an interview at Oxford and received an offer from UCL. But yet got rejected by Bristol. I applied early because of the Oxbridge deadline.
littleshambles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
[quote=whf555]
(Original post by River85)
Your teacher is an idiot, with the greatest respect. It's very unprofessional of him/her to spread this misinformation.

To be fair our teachers trying to help us. Had he not told me this, i may have applied to Oxbridge, i mean i feel i have the grades for it but i just didn't want to take the risk of getting disadvantaged simply beacuse i applied Oxbridge. and from where i look, i seem to have made the right decision! Very good candidates are getting rejected!
Yeah, but not because they applied to Oxbridge. You're actually thanking your teacher for discouraging you from applying to one of the best universities in the world that you had as good a chance of getting into as anyone else?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads