UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

* Dain Bramaged *
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
also, you know the non-cognitive section at the end? well you have 30minutes to do it but why is this? it doesn';t contribute to your score as far as i am aware so why time limit it??
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by * Dain Bramaged *)
also, you know the non-cognitive section at the end? well you have 30minutes to do it but why is this? it doesn';t contribute to your score as far as i am aware so why time limit it??
Did you just delete your post and post it again?

Maybe so people don't waste their time by deliberating over the questions painfully. Or perhaps they think faster answers are more truthful therefore giving a better 'personality sketch'. Not sure, really.
Myoclonic Jerk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wonder what happens if you just leave the whole section blank...
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
someone told me you get a calculator on the test on the side of the screen or soemthing? i dint see it on the practice tests..... do we definately have one?
IT says you get a handheld jobby when you arrive. Urgh I hate using calculators that aren't my own. The buttons are always in different places.
Holsy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
I wonder what happens if you just leave the whole section blank...
"Vapid personality" :wink2:
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just done a whole practice of the UKCAT and I am so going to slash my chances of med school because of it
For some reason, I always do abysmally on the Quantitative Reasoning section even though I've always been good at maths :confused:

i'm no superman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
Just done a whole practice of the UKCAT and I am so going to slash my chances of med school because of it
For some reason, I always do abysmally on the Quantitative Reasoning section even though I've always been good at maths :confused:

I just realised we're doing it on the same day, August 12th! Good luck! I still yet haven't done a whole practice of the UKCAT - just been using a book and doing a few questions from each section and just generally trying to familiarise myself with things. I'll save the practice test on the UKCAT website for a week or two before the exam because I don't want to run out of resources tehehe!

I'm very nervous. I can't believe I'll find out my UKCAT score before I get my AS results - sounds really scary! :p:
Iscariot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did the UKCAT today, I got 2760 with a breakdown of:

Verbal: 720
Quantitative: 810
Abstract: 610
Decision: 620

Not bad considering I had absolutely no idea on every single abstract question, I just DO NOT GET HOW THAT SECTION WORKS ugh... anyway, another box ticked for my UCAS form. The decision is still the trickiest section I think, quantitative was a doodle compared to last year's UKCAT I thought, or maybe I was just better prepared. A year older and a year wiser as they say. I'm pleased enough with it, hopefully Barts are too.
* Dain Bramaged *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
u did mazing on the quantitative section... what are your gcse/a levels?
what ya get in last years ukcat?
well done anyhow
Iscariot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
u did mazing on the quantitative section... what are your gcse/a levels?
what ya get in last years ukcat?
well done anyhow
I got 2490 on the UKCAT last year, I just did it as a practice run to see how it would go before my application this year since I wasn't that confident with it. The quantitative section is all about making sure you manage your time. I guessed an entire section of questions because I realised they were questions I'm not particularly good at and could easily end up spending 5 minutes trying to answer. That way I gave myself time to make sure I got all the other "easier" questions right.

I didn't do GCSEs because I came from Finland, and I have the "amazing" A-levels of CCU (failed physics). It's safe to say I wasn't a particularly interested student as a teenager. I'm predicted a 1st for my degree now. Late bloomer or something like that career advisers like to call it.
modini
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did it today

Got:

Verbal: 510
Quantitative: 630
Abstract: 560
Decision: 650

Total: 2350

You get given a calculator and a notepad before you enter if any1 was wondering.

I was shocked with the results because I thought I did well in verbal and abstract - apparently not.

And also though I did rubbish on quantitative and decision - apparently not as bad as the others.
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by modini)
I did it today

Got:

You get given a calculator and a notepad before you enter if any1 was wondering.

I was shocked with the results because I thought I did well in verbal and abstract - apparently not.

And also though I did rubbish on quantitative and decision - apparently not as bad as the others.
That's still a good result - in high 500s as an overall average Well done
modini
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
That's still a good result - in high 500s as an overall average Well done
Thanks
*Princess*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by modini)
I did it today

Got:

Snap! I did mine today
Verbal: 600
Quantitative: 660
Abstract: 630
Decision: 610

Total: 2500

Im just sooo glad its all over with, im so surprised cos i only answered 29 questions on quantitative but ended up scoring the highest on the section... weird

And seriously for all those worriers, just do the practice questions from the website and you will be fine. I spent about 2 hours last night preparing and I seem to have done fine lol (by my standards anyway) so don't ruin your summer holiday worrying/ don't waste money on these ridiculously overpriced courses that are like £200 for a few hours because universities advised against it and they haven't actually been proven to be useful!
Liar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Iscariot)
I got 2490 on the UKCAT last year, I just did it as a practice run to see how it would go before my application this year since I wasn't that confident with it. The quantitative section is all about making sure you manage your time. I guessed an entire section of questions because I realised they were questions I'm not particularly good at and could easily end up spending 5 minutes trying to answer. That way I gave myself time to make sure I got all the other "easier" questions right.

Ooo its interesting to see the improvement of someones score after a year as i will be taking the UKCAT again this year. I hope i can improve mine as much as you did. Well done, thats an excellent score
Holsy
Rep:
?
Well done modini, Princess and Iscariot for doing your UKCAT!:clap2:
Rennie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm so worried about my UKCAT it is unbelievable. It's tomorrow at 8:45 so at least it will be out of the way quickly but I don't know what I'll do if I score badly.

I've done practice ones but they don't give me any indication of how I've done with the ones on the UKCAT website. I also have a book which has explained the Abstract Reasoning which I really didn't understand how it worked. I think I get that now. I did critical thinking AS level a year ago and so I think the first section shouldn't be too bad for me...

Fingers crossed really. I don't want to do badly.
Holsy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rennie)
I'm so worried about my UKCAT it is unbelievable. It's tomorrow at 8:45 so at least it will be out of the way quickly but I don't know what I'll do if I score badly.

I've done practice ones but they don't give me any indication of how I've done with the ones on the UKCAT website. I also have a book which has explained the Abstract Reasoning which I really didn't understand how it worked.

I'll cross my fingers for you. Good luck!

Abstract Reasoning -

I'm not sure whether this is the right way of going about it, so I'd appreciate it someone could go through it as well.

I think it's A because the shapes are round, which are in A and not B and there are two shapes which is only found in A.

I get edgy when 'Neither' comes into play.
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
first define each group's attributes.

Group A
Circular objects
No preference over colour

Group B
Straight objects
Odd amount of objects in each box
No preference over colour

The Object
Circular
Black
Even amount

Therefore Group A imo
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rennie)

I've done practice ones but they don't give me any indication of how I've done with the ones on the UKCAT website. I also have a book which has explained the Abstract Reasoning which I really didn't understand how it worked. I think I get that now. I did critical thinking AS level a year ago and so I think the first section shouldn't be too bad for me...

Hey, don't worry too much. It's just one of those things that if you perform on the day or not. The less stressed and more focused you are the better you will perform. Try to relax and work as much as you can to gain confidence. I have my exam next week and haven't prepared much since a while ago. I too hate abstract reasoning!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (228)
39.31%
No - but I will (40)
6.9%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (271)
46.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise