David Milliband's Education (Vis-à-vis Oxford) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jbruner17)
A-Levels used to be ignored for Oxford's own examinations until fairly recently.

That's what I said about a million pages ago, but no one reads these things.

NO SCANDAL HERE, PEOPLE. HE GOT IN THROUGH THE ENTRANCE EXAM, WHICH WAS ABOLISHED IN 1995, WAY AFTER HE EVEN GOT HIS MA.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by timwaters2007)
When have I assassinated anybodys character? I only used Boris Johnson as an example of easy admittance because if anybody read the vast amounts of goofs he has committed, you might come to think how the bloody hell did he graduate primary, let alone university. However, you proved me wrong with your wiki know-how, and I accept I was wrong.

Also, I have never stated that oxbridge is exclusively elitist, just that elitism still exists in some areas.
Actually, I'll have you know that I read (the first few chapters of) his authorised biography. It's quite entertaining.
faber niger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Actually, I'll have you know that I read (the first few chapters of) his authorised biography. It's quite entertaining.
Boris is a buffoon, to quote the stereotype. I'm reading a book of his as preparation for my Classics degree, and he is mildly entertaining therein and offers surprisingly liberal viewpoints, but he's hardly got a writing flair. I can't comment on a biography, of course, though. He does, however, seem to have led quite a charmed life.

P.S. Why did you evade my question concerning your current study (if of course you are currently studying)?
anonymous1432
Badges: 7
Report 10 years ago
I was going to buy his autobiography, but decided against it. I might pop to the shop later and get it.

Sorry for offending your knowledge of Boris.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
Boris is a buffoon, to quote the stereotype. I'm reading a book of his as preparation for my Classics degree, and he is mildly entertaining therein and offers surprisingly liberal viewpoints, but he's hardly got a writing flair. I can't comment on a biography, of course, though. He does, however, seem to have led quite a charmed life.

P.S. Why did you evade my question concerning your current study (if of course you are currently studying)?
Boris is going to make London crash down to its knees (interprate that how you wish).

Profesh is a.....former student of Bristol, shall we say?
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jismith1989)
Oh, right. I studied Law at Bristol from 2005 to 2006, didn't like it, and dropped out. I may return to pursue a degree in English Literature, or I might undertake something more vocational; I've yet to decide either way.
faber niger
Rep:
?
(Original post by River85)
Profesh is a.....former student of Bristol, shall we say?
Oh okay. What did he study? Do you know how he did? I'm interested because he seems to act somewhat in a capacity of in loco parentis on TSR. :p:
faber niger
Rep:
?
Oh, right. I studied Law at Bristol from 2005 to 2006, didn't like it, and dropped out. I may return to pursue a degree in English Literature, or I might undertake something more vocational; I've yet to decide either way.
Ah, we have a reply from 'the man'. Okay, sounds good. What were you thinking of more vocational? Surely not plumbing? Do you mean something like Law again?

And, yes, I'm just inquisitive, with you being somewhat of a TSR celebrity and all.
grouchofer
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I've read some of this stuff...and all the tittle tattle about how hard it was to get As years ago...

Nope.....go into google and type "Miliband father"....then read all about David and Ed's father....therein lies the secret to this mystery. Yet another political idealist who wouldn't hack it down here on planet Earth.

Personally I reckon he was lazy in his late teens, hence his marks...good old Dad!!....shame he was given the Ministry of Education to run....perhaps that, and the string of ministers who have done the job, account for the shambles which it now is!!
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by grouchofer)
I've read some of this stuff...and all the tittle tattle about how hard it was to get As years ago...

Nope.....go into google and type "Miliband father"....then read all about David and Ed's father....therein lies the secret to this mystery. Yet another political idealist who wouldn't hack it down here on planet Earth.

Personally I reckon he was lazy in his late teens, hence his marks...good old Dad!!....shame he was given the Ministry of Education to run....perhaps that, and the string of ministers who have done the job, account for the shambles which it now is!!
There isn't a mystery. He passed the entrance exam and so was admitted, it's quite simple. Jumping at marxist ghosts I think.
El estudiante
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Why are most of you blindingly accepting what wikipedia says. Is it referenced? If not it's could quite easily be crap. Even if it is it still may not be true.
Well change it then :rolleyes:
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by El estudiante)
Well change it then :rolleyes:
Was it really worth bumping a three year old thread for this? Please don't bump old threads in the future.

Why is it my responsiblity to change it? If I edit Wikipedia I will only edit in topics I am knowledgeable in. As I know little about DM educational background (and knew even less three years ago) then I won't change it, will I? I was only making the point that, whilst wikiepdia can be very accurate, one mustn't believe everything we read especially if it's not refernced. I think that's what I meant, anyway, it was so long ago....

Anyway, thread locked.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.46%
No - but I will (38)
6.85%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.67%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (261)
47.03%

Watched Threads