Why Can't I Get a Job, grrrr.... Watch

AwesomelyPsycho
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EskimoJo)
Ohhhhh! I thought when you said you had a year until Uni that you meant you had a year off! That's why I've been linking you to full time stuff! Whoops, sorries!
I meant this thread, but they're probably full-time too. Just try Gumtree.
Keep trying! I've got a Sainsbury's interview on Tuesday!
Yay! Congrats!
Pamiyoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i just got a job, but i am worried, because i told them that i am going to be on a gap year, which i now think i defo will not be taking, should i just accept the job and work until i have to go to uni, findin temp work is really hard
jus-mi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Pamiyoo)
i just got a job, but i am worried, because i told them that i am going to be on a gap year, which i now think i defo will not be taking, should i just accept the job and work until i have to go to uni, findin temp work is really hard
of course!!! if i were yo9u i would continue with the job and then when it gets to sept/oct time then tell them you changed your mind
Pamiyoo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thank-you jus-mi
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm seriously miffed.

Been looking for a job for ages, had a couple of interviews, but I'm just getting nowhere.

Sent off loads of emails to various companies [all advertising at the time] and never got so much as an acknowledgement.

Even got turned down for a job at ONeill... A chuffing surf shop full of stoners.

Screw it, dole here I come:mad: :mad:
Concho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've applied at loads of places and I'm getting nowhere... it's only because I'm sixteen. As soon as I say that the peoples face drop. How are we supposed to get experience when no-one will take us on?
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Concho)
I've applied at loads of places and I'm getting nowhere... it's only because I'm sixteen. As soon as I say that the peoples face drop. How are we supposed to get experience when no-one will take us on?
Totally! It's like a vicious cycle!
Everyone asks for experience, but how are you supposed to get the stupid experience when they won't hire you because you don't have any!
Elondra
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have experience but no on wants me as I will go back to uni.Seriously debating scrapping my uni bit and dumbing down my cv.Will it work?
Sapphire_Eyes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've been looking for work since god knows!! I managed to get an xmas job last year 07/08 season but didnt get full contract so just been looking since then nearly had a job interview last week from my agency but the company pulled out so pfft typical.

Been everywhere looking for work. Oh well roll on Access in september!!
mkent
Report 10 years ago
Hi Guys,

I agree with a lot of the posts on here, the best way to secure a job is just to go out, visit a certain near you and just go around every single agency and company in the area, and give them all a copy of your cv, that is how I found my previous job.

I also found a website that was very useful for Interview tips.
plopSDCSDC
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
same position too lol except i think i've got some experience, but in terms of a paid job, i've never had one, and i'm gagging for some dollar this summer but been unsuccessful. On my cv i put that i had:

-Volunteered with my local oxfam for about 8/9 months and still there
- Weeks work experience in law
- weeks work experience in acocuntancy
- worked in a chinese restraunt

but non of these were paid, and i still can't get a job....lol sucks.
Sapphire_Eyes
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I might go back and do some volunter work in an admin experience since every job i look for wants admin experience and i cant find any retail work
kaytee.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
Totally! It's like a vicious cycle!
Everyone asks for experience, but how are you supposed to get the stupid experience when they won't hire you because you don't have any!
i agree! its stupid! then you tell them that you'll be going to university next year too and they'll probably reject you on that point
Escorcio
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.sepevents.co.uk/recruit.htm
AwesomelyPsycho
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by **MidnightMia**)
But some of you are getting interviews tho, right?
I think a few people are, myself not included
spider from mars
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree with what someone has already said - that maybe some of you might consider doing some volunteering. I know that plopSDCSDC has said that it hasn't really helped him, but I think it could make a difference in some cases. Volunteering in a charity shop for a few months or something would give you retail experience, and is easier to get than a paid job.

Also, if you're handing out your CV to places and getting nothing, maybe consider rewriting it? If it's not getting you interviews then it probably needs improving - even just making it look better, and phrasing things in a better way could have an effect.
annie147218
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate job searching. I pretty much gave up looking after searchig since about May time and when I just tried one last phone number 'just in case' i ended up getting a job at sainsbury's. Pain is that it's 5am -7am every day but only til september but i can get transferred to the branch in my uni place as well and will get better hours next holidays so I'll just stick it out for a month as it will be worth it in the long run, even if the hours are pretty dire at the moment! Plus I have no previous experience so I'll just take what I can get lol. Good luck to everyone else searching. I know how painful the whole searching is.
flump
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have any of you tried care work? It is usually really easy to get and very flexible, might not be your top choice for a job but it is a start.
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Any of you have waiting experience? (although not essential) Available 25th-27th? Londoners? yes?
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Or perhaps be paid to travel to France (flights, accommodation, meals provided) to be a babysitter/waiter/ess/housekeeper until mid-September with a mate? £200 per week each.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.56%
No - but I will (17)
5.38%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.33%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.73%

Watched Threads