Worst games you've purchased in your life Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jackathon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Glutamic Acid)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (GBA) -- Repetitive. Dull.
Was that the one that was RPG-like? I love that game hahahaha.
The Order of the Phoenix was very poor, but I can't help but buy them because they're Harry Potter. :cool:
Jackathon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by RightSaidJames)
The Gameboy Color version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was surprisingly good, they'd made it into a fully-developed RPG, really challenging and complex.
Maybe that was the one, but I'm sure it was the Chamber one because you had to go look for Rat Tonic in the basement of the leaky cauldron!
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Any game adapted from a film/cartoon show.
Plenty of good film -> game adaptations. Countless excellent Star Wars games, Chronicles of Riddick, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and others I can't think of.
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jackathon)
Maybe that was the one, but I'm sure it was the Chamber one because you had to go look for Rat Tonic in the basement of the leaky cauldron!
I guess there were at least two of them then! In mine you had to get all the supplies and make your way across the lake by boat. Actually, I still have it, might fire it up on a slow day!
omicronlyrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Planto)
Plenty of good film -> game adaptations. Countless excellent Star Wars games, Chronicles of Riddick, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and others I can't think of.
Goldeneye!
Planto
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by olileauk)
Goldeneye!
Yes! Also, the Aliens vs. Predator games.
netprime
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Two Worlds.

Horrible game, we only got it cause a friend over-hyped it. Awful grahpics, gameplay, storyline everything. Not to mention the scripting..

"Ah, forsooth! The grass tis be greener on thy side, how now brown cow."

Not quite like that but you get the picture.

£33 too... :mad:
Olie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Robot Wars for GBC a long time ago, obviously you don't expect much from a gameboy game but this one absolutely dire and barely playable.

Worst PC game I bought was a game called Castle Strike, it looked great but turned out to be a crap version of age of empires.
Dalimyr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Planto)
Yes! Also, the Aliens vs. Predator games.
Just to point out, that's not really a film-game adaptation in the usual sense - most film-game adaptations just take the story of a film and try to fit a game around it, often to a very strict deadline (i.e. the film's release date) and (possibly just as a result of the deadline, to be fair) to extremely poor standards. AvP, on the other hand, took concepts from two film franchises, stuck them together and made a game out of it in 1999, without the deadline to meet (all four Alien films and both Predator films were released by 1997) and without any story linking the two franchises to make a carbon-copy of. This actually turned out to be rather successful, hence they went with a game-film adaptation by releasing the Alien vs Predator film in 2004...which actually did follow the trend of being really poor :p:
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by olileauk)
Goldeneye!
Goldeneye I'll admit was an exception.
Planto
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dalimyr)
Just to point out, that's not really a film-game adaptation in the usual sense - most film-game adaptations just take the story of a film and try to fit a game around it, often to a very strict deadline (i.e. the film's release date) and (possibly just as a result of the deadline, to be fair) to extremely poor standards. AvP, on the other hand, took concepts from two film franchises, stuck them together and made a game out of it in 1999, without the deadline to meet (all four Alien films and both Predator films were released by 1997) and without any story linking the two franchises to make a carbon-copy of. This actually turned out to be rather successful, hence they went with a game-film adaptation by releasing the Alien vs Predator film in 2004...which actually did follow the trend of being really poor :p:
?

It's still a film to game adaptation. It's not just taking "concepts" at all, because it takes all the relevant licensing from the films. I don't really see what you're getting at. See, what you're listing as differences between this and other game adaptations of film are mistakes that led to them being bad. If epic ****ups are the official criteria for something being a film-to-game adaptation then of course they're all going to be bad. That's akin to saying that young people are all violent yobs and, when confronted with pleasant young people, saying they don't count because they're "not really proper youths because they don't fight and shoplift".

Its originality and imagination in working with the licenses is what makes it a good film -> game adaptation. You can't discount it because of the very reason it's a valid example.

Do you see what I'm saying here? Your "differences" (carbon copied stories / tight commercial deadlines) are not criteria of film-to-game adaptations, they are simply common mistakes. You're not gonna find examples of good film-game adaptations if you basically state that they must be bad in order to classify as one.
kitkatcait
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Charlurr)
FINAL FANTASY X-2.

Without a doubt.

Eugugghghguhg, just thinking about it saddens me.
I totally agree. I played FFX and loved it; X-2 was just a cheap cash-in and totally wrecked all the characters I'd come to like, particularly Rikku. Plus, the battle system was annoying and to get the 'good' ending you had to collect every single item in the entire game, then press certain buttons during particular cut scenes.

...But don't quote me on those win conditions, because I played the game for 15 minutes and never looked at it again. It was awful. Just plain awful.
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
FIFA 05, scored a goal from the half-way line, took it back
Carl Sagan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Assassin's Creed
Rascalov
Report 10 years ago
Age of Conan. I played World of Warcraft a little bit and thought it was OK, so I tried Age of Conan and found it was a big mess of **** with lots of bugs Plus a Pirate in game pissed on me!
Emmanuel321
Report 10 years ago
Need for Speed Carbon - PS2 at the time -- absolutely terrible..
gozatron
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Diddy kong racing nintendo ds

Crappy try to make another Mario Kart
Colesy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gozatron)
Diddy kong racing nintendo ds

Crappy try to make another Mario Kart
N64 version was class though.
noggins
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I found Burnout 3 pretty dissapointing.. i know it got near perfect scores from all the critics, but it just wasn't entertaining at all for me. All the tracks/modes felt so empty and pointless. Like there was no progression for the player involved. Oh and some of the worst choice of music i've ever heard in my life. Makes you yearn for the days of catchy 16-bit game music, or even 8 bit!
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
rome total war - gods how boring, im a general i kill things not a bloody accountant
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads