Turn on thread page Beta

Synaesthesia watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I dont think i have this at all
    q-do u dream in the same way at night?

and.....lol, I make mindmaps. Which I draw out and allign colours to words, underline them- different sizes shapes to words- but also in this test I did really well in...i was using my hands in air in the exam room to remember where it was all written and the following the lines of the mind map, remembering shapes etc . I know thats not the same but thats me attempting to associate. When i do a mindmap well and rehearse it- so i know what each things stands 4--- i do better in exams. So do you find its an advantage to you accademically?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oatsandhoney)
    How weird and difficult would it be to organise your day and plan ahead anything if you couldn't see it in spatial form!
    Erm. Not very?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/prog..._summary.shtml

if u wana see if you have it

I did it- i got nothing- i got the number 2 in the first section and for all teh rest i scored 0, most people score something lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yazoo)
    I dont think i have this at all
    q-do u dream in the same way at night?
    What do you mean? Do you mean in the same way as people without syn, or do we have syn in our dreams?
    I recently learned that when I'm listening to music in a dream, it's still the same colour as it is when I'm awake. I suppose that's a good thing though...having completely different colours for the same song would confuse me.

(Original post by yazoo)
    So do you find its an advantage to you accademically?
    I'd say so. I like to think that spelling is one of my strengths and I can spot when something is spelled wrong, as the letters are the wrong colours for the word. For example, when someone spells "necessary" as "neccessary", I know the latter is wrong because there's too much green in the word. C is a green letter, you see

ReputationRep:
    C is yellow silly *obviously* :P

I love my synesthesia... I associate letters and words, numbers, shapes, days of the week/month, names, chords and keys, weather... anything with a sequence all with particular colours. I don't think any of my friends have it... and my mum thinks its weird (she does understand though from vairous tv documentaries).

Richard Feynman is a synesthete and so is Schubert (he saw the key of F as green like me!)

ReputationRep:
    I read the Wikipedia thing and maybe I have the type that says you think of years eg. 1940 is further away in distance than 1960

ReputationRep:
    fascianted
    lol thanks
    xx

(Original post by C274)
    What do you mean? Do you mean in the same way as people without syn, or do we have syn in our dreams?
    I recently learned that when I'm listening to music in a dream, it's still the same colour as it is when I'm awake. I suppose that's a good thing though...having completely different colours for the same song would confuse me.

I'd say so. I like to think that spelling is one of my strengths and I can spot when something is spelled wrong, as the letters are the wrong colours for the word. For example, when someone spells "necessary" as "neccessary", I know the latter is wrong because there's too much green in the word. C is a green letter, you see

ReputationRep:
    I had syn in a dream
    It was smell -> colour syn and it's the first time I've had that type in a dream. A woman told me to smell lavender and it smelled grey. Thing is, when I'm awake, it's nowhere near as strong as my other types on synaesthesia but in the dream it was really really strong.
    I've had sound -> colour syn in dreams before and the songs were just the same colour as they are when I'm awake.

(Original post by thistlesandwich)
    C is yellow silly *obviously* :P

I love my synesthesia... I associate letters and words, numbers, shapes, days of the week/month, names, chords and keys, weather... anything with a sequence all with particular colours. I don't think any of my friends have it... and my mum thinks its weird (she does understand though from vairous tv documentaries).

Richard Feynman is a synesthete and so is Schubert (he saw the key of F as green like me!)

You're doing it wrong :p: F is white!
    Pharrell Williams is a synaesthete too. Oh aye.

ReputationRep:
    Mine is crossed with a little bit of Asperger's, which makes for an interesting combination. I make sense of concepts spatially, as opposed to just numbers and words, and manipulate various structures to develop those concepts in the same way one might build Lego; I study theology, so for example, the Trinity is usually deep red, while the Church is magenta, whereas the "rail" like structure I move things around on is always hazed flourescent green. It sounds very odd but is quite natural to me, of course, and I can't say I thought it was unusual until only a few years ago when I went through a battery of education tests. I simply figured everyone saw ideas the way I did and never sought to question it.

The main advantages I can see having discussed it with others are a heightened speed in making sense of those concepts and a fairly formidable organisational ability.

ReputationRep:
    OMG how cool! Today, I was talking about this "condition" in my psychology class. It's very interesting. My teacher was saying how synaesthesia can be an evolutionary trait, and could be a possible explanation of how language came to be. With this said, I think everyone has a bit of the "condition" in themselves, however it's not as powerful as those who are actually diagnosed with synaesthesia.

ReputationRep:
    Ang|ophi|e, I believe that too.

ReputationRep:
    i've got synesthesia, i have the spatial kind "In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, and/or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be "farther away" than 1990), or may have a (three-dimensional) view of a year as a map (clockwise or counterclockwise)." (from Wikipedia) and then also colors for numbers as well as for some words - but this isn't as 'strong' as my spatial-thingy

i always imagine the week is an ellipse with saturday and sunday being half of it (the biggest 'blocks') and then monday -> friday are smaller (of which wednesday is the widest) weird. And then my numberline goes like a zig-zag from 0 to 10 (this is where it turns "back" till twenty from where it turns around again making a zig-zag shape :P)

for years everything under 1900 is just a 'blur' or really dense (?) but from 1900 -> 1990 its a dense slightly upwards sloping line of years. From 1990 -> 2000 it goes straight up/vertically (probably because i was born 1990..?) and from 2000-> its horizontal

Of the number-color thing my two's are always blue, three's are yellow, fours are green and five's are red. sevens are purple and eights are black. ten's are red. other than that i don't think i have colors for more numbers, some letters like A's are green, B's and G's are yellow - that's about it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    I taste things, although I've never quite established what I'm responding to - mainly sounds, I think, because music sometimes triggers it, and sound effects (a car chase on TV just tasted like bacon...) - although sometimes I know I'm responding to written words, often along very literal-minded lines ("come in" tastes of cumin, "advice" tastes of lettuce...)
    How about "seamen"?

ReputationRep:
    I would love to have synaesthesia. It would be awesome to see music as vivid colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exocet)
    I get your smell thing. Think it's because smells are really closely related to memory. You can use this to your advantage by wearing particular perfumes on exam days if this helps. (Obv you'd have to spray your revision books with it or something.)

In the past year my memory has just totally deteriorated but I used to find it really useful "seeing" pages in my mind I'd seen before. Do you find colour-coding helps?

And I too, have trouble with faces...

Nicely coincidental there!
    just wondering but what do you mean you have trouble with faces? i think i might be on the same wave length with you if it's what i'm thinking of, but i've never found anyonoe else with it so tis probs not lol

oh, and yeh monday wednesday & friday are TOTALLY the odd days
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiiindroplets)

just wondering but what do you mean you have trouble with faces? i think i might be on the same wave length with you if it's what i'm thinking of, but i've never found anyonoe else with it so tis probs not lol

oh, and yeh monday wednesday & friday are TOTALLY the odd days
    xx
    Just I find it hard to picture faces. Even faces of people close to me like my parents.
    And I find it hard to recognise people's faces. (I have to go by hair or clothes.)

(Original post by Exocet)
    And I find it hard to recognise people's faces. (I have to go by hair or clothes.)
    Although this has nothing to do with synaesthesia, at least in my case, I'm the same. Throughout school I identified people by their coats and bags. :p: I could remember their faces within about a month but the coats and bags were more important.

ReputationRep:
    Is synaethesia a condition? Or is it just part of the natural human condition?

I just don't think a lot these sorts of things can be so easily defined. Everyone's brain chemistry is different, and I'm sure most people occasionally experience unusual things going on with their senses. It just depends to what extent this happens.

Although people don't talk about it often, pretty much everyone experiences hallucinations of some sort with surprising regularity. By that I don't mean they see fairies or think the world has suddenly turned rose tinted or anything, but its incredibly common to see fleeting colours and objects appear larger or smaller than they are. Visual distortions are quite common, and many people 'feel' sounds etc. And generally its the kind of thing people experience to a greater extent on drugs with a mainly psychedelic effect.

I don't know I hope I haven't offended anyone who believes otherwise, but I just think many 'conditions' are a symptom of a society that loves to obsess over health and individuality and don't actually exist in the sense that one can be diagnosed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techy)
    Is synaethesia a condition? Or is it just part of the natural human condition?

I think it's probably just all part of the spectrum of normality.
    The brain is pretty complex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamsam)
    I would love to have synaesthesia. It would be awesome to see music as vivid colour.
    Most of the time I listen to music it's nice to see the colours but when I listen to heavy/death metal, the colours are evil and intense. It's like someone has dumped me into a vat of black and red paint which is flashing. :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.