Turn on thread page Beta

Budgets. What is yours and why is mine so high? watch

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Well, I dunno, something along the lines of:

Cereal
    Peanut butter sandwich x2 (or cheese sandwich) (yum)
    Jaffa cakes/chocolate bar/yogurt
    Then a nice meal, usually consisting of some kind of meat, and atleast 2 veg.
    Then usually some icecream.

My dinner time meals include things like: Chicken breast in tomato and garlic sauce with rice and peas, Chicken curry with naan bread, spaghetti bolognaise, chicken/bacon pasta bakes, pizza with waffles, peas, brocoli, bacon hot pot (bacon, onion, potatos) etc..

I'm quite shocked you can manage with such little variety and such bare meals.
    You could live on what I do if you chose to

All those meals seem like too much effort for me, I just want to make something as simple as possible and be done with it

You sound like you can cook well though, come cook for me I would be very grateful for a change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimbolina)
    You could live on what I do if you chose to

All those meals seem like too much effort for me, I just want to make something as simple as possible and be done with it

You sound like you can cook well though, come cook for me I would be very grateful for a change
    They're really not any effort at all. They are generally a case of whacking them together and putting in the oven for 20 mins. I'm a pretty terrible cook and it still works for me.

Have a look at tesco.com under their recipie section. There are loads of really nice and cheap meals which would be far more filling than noodles.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    At uni it was something like:

Food - 30
    Travel - 15
    Phone - 6
    Toiletries - 5
    Books - 5
    Misc -10-30

per week
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I have Bran flakes for breakfast - 80p

Milk: 80p (I think)

Tuna sandwich: £1 bread and 4 tins of tuna at 32p

Noodles for tea: 7 packs at 17p each

Then I'll either snack on bran flakes or get some fruit for a £1

I think thats less than £7 so yeah, thats how I do it

You eat exactly the same thing every day?

I hope you're taking some very good supplements.

(Original post by la fille danse)
    You eat exactly the same thing every day?

I hope you're taking some very good supplements.
    Do you mean like vitamin tablets? I used to have some vitamin tablets that claimed to be everything I needed all in one tablet. I don't know if they are actually good though!

Yep same thing every day

ReputationRep:
    I'm **** at budgeting, I really really am. I'll have £365 a month to live off at uni this year (plus an extra £79 if needs be), so £90-£110 a week.

Weekly:

Food: £20-£30
    Phone: £9
    Transport: £5-8 (depending if I go home for the weekend, but then I don't have to buy food for 2 days)
    Going out: £20-£60 (inc. taxis/drink/food afterwards)
    Toiletries/household stuff: £7
    Other: £10

Ugggh, didn't work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    cigarettes are hugely expensive I'd say.
    yep, smoke roll ups instead, they're cheaper and better!:woo:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Do you mean like vitamin tablets? I used to have some vitamin tablets that claimed to be everything I needed all in one tablet. I don't know if they are actually good though!

Yep same thing every day
    Yes, your diet is very unhealthy

Yes, your diet is very unhealthy
    Why unhealthy? Not like I'm eating chocolate and cakes etc. So surely not that bad?

ReputationRep:
    Why unhealthy? Not like I'm eating chocolate and cakes etc. So surely not that bad?
    You're not getting many vitamins or iron.

Although you have a sandwich and some noodles, I doubt theres much in the way of complex carbohydrates. I don't see how that fuels you for the day.

I think if I had that to survive on, I would feel incredibly tired and shakey, possibly a little sick. I wouldn't have the energy to function properly.

They're really not any effort at all. They are generally a case of whacking them together and putting in the oven for 20 mins. I'm a pretty terrible cook and it still works for me.

Have a look at tesco.com under their recipie section. There are loads of really nice and cheap meals which would be far more filling than noodles.
    Ah right, cheers.

You're not getting many vitamins or iron.

Although you have a sandwich and some noodles, I doubt theres much in the way of complex carbohydrates. I don't see how that fuels you for the day.

I think if I had that to survive on, I would feel incredibly tired and shakey, possibly a little sick. I wouldn't have the energy to function properly.
    Maybe I could eat some bananas then?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I could eat some bananas then?
    Yeah that'd be a good start. It'd also be good if you got some green veg in there too. Frozen peas and brocoli are pretty cheap. Brocoli just takes 5 mins in boiling water and peas 2 mins. That'd make your diet much more balanced, and you'd probably feel better for it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, as my mum pointed out yesterday - me budgeting at the minute would be a little pointless, given that I don't have any idea what my income will be. (Loan + Maintenance Grant *just* covers my accomodation) I'll get a bit from my parents each month but I'm not sure how much. I've gor some saved so it should last me a while...

How much are people allowing themselves overall each month?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    No vegetables, next to no protein, no complex carbohydrates, loads of salt (in the noodles). You should be eating different things every day so that you get you all the nutrients you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quadruple_twist)
    I'm **** at budgeting, I really really am. I'll have £365 a month to live off at uni this year (plus an extra £79 if needs be), so £90-£110 a week.

Weekly:

Food: £20-£30
    Phone: £9
    Transport: £5-8 (depending if I go home for the weekend, but then I don't have to buy food for 2 days)
    Going out: £20-£60 (inc. taxis/drink/food afterwards)
    Toiletries/household stuff: £7
    Other: £10

Ugggh, didn't work
    Going out budget is not controlled enough. Must be more strict with yourself.

No vegetables, next to no protein, no complex carbohydrates, loads of salt (in the noodles). You should be eating different things every day so that you get you all the nutrients you need.
    I know but I'm only at uni for another 2 years, so maybe I can eat properly when I have more money! Do you have a better suggestion on what I could buy with £10?

ReputationRep:
    Well.. £10 a week, so lets say £40 a month? That's about the amount I spend on my shopping to feed myself and my girlfriend for 2 weeks. So at an estimate, I'd say it would feed you for almost a month? I'll show you a few examples from one of my shopping lists from Tescos:

Warbutons Medium Sliced Bread: £1.34
    Tescos Plain 2 Naan Bread: £0.73
    Tesco Value 2 Baguette: £0.50
    Baking Potatos 4 pack: £0.72
    Onions: £0.15 each
    6 Pints of Milk: £2.12
    Tesco 8 Unsmoked Bacon: £2.38
    Quorn Mince 300g: £1.50
    Birds Eye Curry: £0.98 each
    Tescos Pizzas: 2 for £2.50
    Tesco Value Spaghetti 500g: £0.23
    Tesco Broccoli 1kg: £0.87 (Lasts for ages)
    Birds Eye Potato Waffles: £1.74
    Branston Beans 5 tins: £1.40
    Tesco Peanut Butter: £0.80
    Tesco Pasta Sauce: £0.70
    Tropicana: £1.61
    Tescos Conchigili Pasta Shells 1kg: £1.24
    Tescos Mild Cheddar: £1.47

The above comes to around £22, and many of those items would last you a few weeks and would be one off purchases. You can make a fair few meals, and I haven't even TRIED to scrimp by choosing cheaper brands. Granted, there are probably a few things missing like cereal, ketchup, cheese that kind of stuff, but you kind of get the idea

From the above, you could make:

Bacon Hot Pot
    Spaghetti Bolognaise
    Beans on Toast
    Pasta Bakes
    Pizza, waffles, brocoli and peas
    Curry and Naan bread
    Pasta with beans and cheese
    Cheese on toast
    Peanut butter sandwhiches
    Naan bread with pasta sauce and melted cheese.

Loads

ReputationRep:
    At the risk of sounding like a boring mother, how can some of you budget so lowly for food?! What are you living on? Cereal?

ReputationRep:
    Your phone is pretty high if that is per week. You can get a contract phone with unlimited txts and 800 minutes for like 30£ a month. Give up smoking.
    You budget will change each week. You might be ill for a week, not use your phone, go out, spend less on shopping, no misc etc and that saves u money. On the other hand you might have a birthday for a mate, go out one night, smoke 2 packs, spend ur 40£ going out. And get home, and eat some of your food. Budget as you go along. If you cant afford to go out one time with mates cause u need to cut back, dont be ashamed.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.