Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    People put too much emphasis on this Commander In Chief aspect. There's a reason the president has hundreds of military advisers and a secretary of defense.

You all make it sound like Obama and McCain will be loading up and going to war themselves....
    I think you agree with me you've just read the wrong part. I was arguing that McCain having military experience doesn't really make him any way more prepared to be commander in chief than Obama, contrary to what some people think.

If you read up you'll find that I agree with you on that advisors thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 122025278)
    I think you agree with me you've just read the wrong part. I was arguing that McCain having military experience doesn't really make him any way more prepared to be commander in chief than Obama, contrary to what some people think.

If you read up you'll find that I agree with you on that advisors thing
    Yeah sorry mate I wasn't responding to you in particular, I just noticed a huge conversation about it and decided to contribute without actually reading anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sumac Trebla)
    LMFAO. Because you British- well you lot are just so much more capable of choosing someone to run America THAN THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY LIVE THERE. Stupid British moron. You messed up your own country, no one will ever allow you do it to another. Ha, you don't even think for yourselves no more- bunch of nanny-state, infantile idiots.

As for McCain, he'll win because he is what America and the world needs right now, no matter what the loony left or the liberal media think. If we want to actually win the war against Islamic terrorism and sort out the global energy and economic crisis, then the Mac is just the man to do it and to do it by putting the boot instead of pussy-footing around and talking yet doing nothing (like Europe, like Congress etc etc).
    Meh at least people listen to Britain, no-one listens to Ireland because its such an insignificant country, no offensive XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by --Dan--)
    Meh at least people listen to Britain, no-one listens to Ireland because its such an insignificant country, no offensive XD
    Nobody listens to Britain...are you nuts? The country is falling apart at the most basic levels- why would anybody listen to them? In Ireland we keep to ourselves and don't expect anybody to listen because we usually don't say anything...unless we're threatened.

The EU tried to bite off our sovereignty. We bit back like we always do and they'll never damn forget it, nor will any pro-EU leader/member state. When we have something to say, people listen. We're quiet until provoked and then people should take notice or else. As for Britain, they voice of that country is more a boring drone...kind of like Gordon's Brown's voice...only worse.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't vote for McCain or Obama.

I do think that McCain will win though, he made a very smart move selecting Sarah Palin as his running mate. As for the reasons, I think the majority of them have already been mentioned. I think he is a good candidate to clean up the mess that George Bush has made.

ReputationRep:
    Because the software that has been engineered for the electronic voting systems has been created by Republican owned companies.

That's what I've heard at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lampshade)
    Because the software that has been engineered for the electronic voting systems has been created by Republican owned companies.

That's what I've heard at least.
    That's a clever, funny answer :laughing: Rep shall be had yes.

ReputationRep:
    I think also there might be votes from the black ppl for the McCain because they are afraid that if Obama is president that they will assassinate him and there is no point in voting for him if in the end he will die a horrid death. As as soon as he is president the next question will be, when is he going to get killed? I know this is an awful thing to say but myself being black that is a very common topic that is covered when talking about Obama.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -steph-)
    for the Macain
    Where do I start with this one?

ReputationRep:
    Let's start at the very beginning? I hear it's a very good place to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeana)
    Let's start at the very beginning? I hear it's a very good place to start.
    True.

The -steph-, his name is McCain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maze.e)
    I'm not a Macain supporter but have been following the American presidential race mainly out of boredom of our own politics, I wanted to start a discussion to why you think Macain will probably win despite him and his vice president not being the best choice for the country in my opinion.
    I think Rudy Giuliani put it best. Lets pretend that you are hiring for the most important job in the world. You have two résumés in front of you. Lets say you never heard of either applicant for the job and had to hire them based on the qualifications. So you have the résumé of some guy named McCain and someone named Obama. Without ever meeting either one, just based on their qualifications, setting aside any kind of hype, I think most sane people would pick the McCain résumé as the man they wanted to hire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I think Rudy Giuliani put it best. Lets pretend that you are hiring for the most important job in the world. You have two résumés in front of you. Lets say you never heard of either applicant for the job and had to hire them based on the qualifications. So you have the résumé of some guy named McCain and someone named Obama. Without ever meeting either one, just based on their qualifications, setting aside any kind of hype, I think most sane people would pick the McCain résumé as the man they wanted to hire.
    Say you're oursourcing some of the duties for your company. There are two small companies bidding for the job.

One is Obama/Biden, the other is McCain/Palin.

It's all swings and roundabouts - both sides have enough combined experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    If you were hiring in the US, you would need to consider race as well.

Affirmative action!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    If you were hiring in the US, you would need to consider race as well.

Affirmative action!!!
    Very funny

I think Obama's race brings him far more votes than it loses. There are a lot of white people who feel guilty, but they really shouldn't. No American alive today ever was a slave or a slave owner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franpgb)
    As the world's gone mad

McCain has been strong recently, whilst Obama less so. It is still fairly even, though I do see McCain becoming President if it carries on like this. Hopefully it won't - I would rather a Democrat win rather than a Republican - especially one like McCain.
    McCain is "not a real conservative", that's why he had to pick Palin as his VP choice. Otherwise the republican base would just stay home on election day. By picking Sarah Palin, the base is finally excited about the thought of a McCain presidency. Your last sentence is pretty ridiculous, you make it sound like McCain ISN'T perceived as the most left wing republican in US politics. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -steph-)
    I think also there might be votes from the black ppl for the Macain because they are afraid that if Obama is president that they will assassinate him and there is no point in voting for him if in the end he will die a horrid death. As as soon as he is president the next question will be, when is he going to get killed? I know this is an awful thing to say but myself being black that is a very common topic that is covered when talking about Obama.
    Are you serious?

ReputationRep:
    Forget why McCain is going to win. The question is why is Sarah Pahlin so hot? :yep:

ReputationRep:
    My mum thinks that despite all the obama hype etc when it comes down to it after all the bells and whistles are gone and its up to the individual to actually CHOOSE someone.. they'll pick mc cain.. i feel that sometimes the americans themselves get swept up in all the hype the elections bring.. but time will tell ey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sumac Trebla)
    Nobody listens to Britain...are you nuts? The country is falling apart at the most basic levels- why would anybody listen to them? In Ireland we keep to ourselves and don't expect anybody to listen because we usually don't say anything...unless we're threatened.

The EU tried to bite off our sovereignty. We bit back like we always do and they'll never damn forget it, nor will any pro-EU leader/member state. When we have something to say, people listen. We're quiet until provoked and then people should take notice or else. As for Britain, they voice of that country is more a boring drone...kind of like Gordon's Brown's voice...only worse.

It seems odd that you can balance being such an Irish patriot/nationalist with such anti-EU sentiments. The European Union has invested in Ireland to the tune of around €55 billion euros. Perhaps, if you feel that the EU member states should have no say in your affairs, you wouldn't mind giving them their money back?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.