Turn on thread page Beta

So. 3 things you dislike about college or 6th form. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Three things I dislike about sixth formers:

a) students who are only there to get the EMA and really do not care about studying at all

b) students who are loud, ill mannered and disruptive and force me to police rather than teach. This is becoming an increasing phenomena is sixth forms.

c) students who have a considerable mismatch between their confidence levels and their ability levels because they arrive under the misapprehension that a clutch of GCSE grade A or A*'s makes them some kind of genius.

ReputationRep:
    whats all this common room stuff about :s is it just private schools that have them? sounds like harry potter to me :O i go to a state sixthform college and we just sit around in a benched area or cafe in frees....

anyway my hates are...
    1. 1 hour 20 min lessons... they draaaag
    2. general studies being put in my free... last! ON A FRIDAY!!
    3. sooo much work

other than that tis all good..... still confused about the common rooms?? random

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellpastmybedtime)

a) students who are only there to get the EMA and really do not care about studying at all

b) students who are loud, ill mannered and disruptive and force me to police rather than teach. This is becoming an increasing phenomena is sixth forms.

c) students who have a considerable mismatch between their confidence levels and their ability levels because they arrive under the misapprehension that a clutch of GCSE grade A or A*'s makes them some kind of genius.

you're a teacher:zomg::woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellpastmybedtime)

Are you a teacher? I reckon if you have to deal with idiots like that you should come and teach in a grammar school sixthform or a private school - that way you wouldn't have to deal with people just being there for EMA, because literally everyone there is there to learn and if they weren't then they'd just get kicked out. At my school people aren't "ill-mannered and disruptive" 'cos they'd get absolutely killed for it if they were :rolleyes:
    And people at my school are the kind of people who have complete crises in confidence even though they got really high As in AS levels...there are a few who are a bit cocky but everyone gets so scared by the "YOU NEED OVER 90% FOR YOUR As TO BE GOOD ENOUGH" and "REMEMBER WE PUT YOUR UMS ON YOUR REFERENCES" that they throw at us all the time that they soon snap out of it.

Basically, we're not all the same as the generic 'raised-under-new-labour' breed of ASBO-holding, happy-slapping 'Yoof'. Some of us are bloody hard-working and ambitious so if you don't like the other lot, leave them and come and help us lot who actually want it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    Are you a teacher? I reckon if you have to deal with idiots like that you should come and teach in a grammar school sixthform or a private school - that way you wouldn't have to deal with people just being there for EMA, because literally everyone there is there to learn and if they weren't then they'd just get kicked out. At my school people aren't "ill-mannered and disruptive" 'cos they'd get absolutely killed for it if they were :rolleyes:
    And people at my school are the kind of people who have complete crises in confidence even though they got really high As in AS levels...there are a few who are a bit cocky but everyone gets so scared by the "YOU NEED OVER 90% FOR YOUR As TO BE GOOD ENOUGH" and "REMEMBER WE PUT YOUR UMS ON YOUR REFERENCES" that they throw at us all the time that they soon snap out of it.

Basically, we're not all the same as the generic 'raised-under-new-labour' breed of ASBO-holding, happy-slapping 'Yoof'. Some of us are bloody hard-working and ambitious so if you don't like the other lot, leave them and come and help us lot who actually want it
    Um not all state school people are scum - don't tar us all with the same brush

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rach L)
    Um not all state school people are scum - don't tar us all with the same brush
    ???
    Read the last bit of my post
    "we're not all..."
    The bit about grammar/private schools is just to her cos she's complaining about sixth formers in general so she'd have less problems.
    the last bit is a general...don't say all sixth formers are lazy/arrogant/loud/rude etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)

Amen

ReputationRep:
    -Not really anything to do with the sixth form, but the buses are getting ridiculous now! They cost alot to ride, and they are totally unreliable. I was 20 minutes late for Biology because 2 buses didn't turn up and the 3rd one was 10 minutes late. Also there were 3 buses worth of people all trying to cram themselves onto one!

-1 hour 20 minute lessons. They go so slow.

-My timetable, I don't like it. I have really long frees in the middle of the day, meaning I can't go home, cause it's not worth it by the time i've got back to college. Other people have great timetables where they aren't in till like 11:30 on certain days. And I know someone who comes in 8:50-11:10 and then has the rest of the day off.

ReputationRep:
    - Still get detentions.
    - Not allowed out at break or free periods.
    - Common Room too packed/run down.
    - Dress code very strict.
    - No help what so ever for ucas.
    - Teaching disorganised.
    - Head of sixth has no time for us.
    - Buses running late thus missing lessons or part of them.
    - Have to apply to be let out during free periods.
    - Stupid General Studies.
    - Have to go to form.

Most of all, I feel more treated like a child now then I ever have been and I hate it!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    Errrrrrm. Things I dislike..

1. The fact that in the cafe, and commonroom, you have to get there really quickly, otherwise, all the chairs are taken, and you are forced to stand up and eat.
    2.The amount of homework, which is good for me in the long-run, but I get too much in my opinion, and I prefer to make notes myself, and I don't seem to have enough time in a day.
    3. Nothing to do in the free's as of yet, but that'll soon be taken up by work. ^^. Oh and exams in January, how much pressure is there ! ? =O

ReputationRep:
    1 - the common room had a quarter taken away to be used as an office
    2 - the way we had to wait often till the end of the day for our lesson
    3 - the gulf between yar 12 and 13

ReputationRep:
    general studies
    general studies
    general studies

whats the point?

ReputationRep:
    Im actually enjoying sixth form well compared to yr 11 anyways..

ReputationRep:
    -There's no where to go during break and lunch as the canteen/common room is overcrowded. Not too bad now, but what will happen when it starts raining every day?
    -I have to actually think about what to wear every day. I never thought I'd want to go back to wearing uniform, but let's face it, it was easier when everyone just wore the same and it dind't matter what you looked like.
    -I have to do key skills...:

But it was actually pretty hard thinking of three things. So far I'm enjoying it way more than school!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sine)
    Im actually enjoying sixth form well compared to yr 11 anyways..

Oh Miss optimist:p: Yes we know it's way better than year 11 however there has to be some negatives:p:

ReputationRep:
    1) it's really small
    2) loads of my friends left to college and i didn't go and i should have so feel bad about that the whole time
    3)no new people, boys or anything

4)lessons are like 4 people large...so weird.. makes me really depressed and i feel quite claustrohpobic/restricted

just can't wait till gap year/uni.. is this bad? am i wasting away these last 2 years of my childhood?

can someone reply to this tell me if i'm being silly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluelou)
    1) it's really small
    2) loads of my friends left to college and i didn't go and i should have so feel bad about that the whole time
    3)no new people, boys or anything

4)lessons are like 4 people large...so weird.. makes me really depressed and i feel quite claustrohpobic/restricted

just can't wait till gap year/uni.. is this bad? am i wasting away these last 2 years of my childhood?

can someone reply to this tell me if i'm being silly
    May I ask why you feel claustrophobic with only 4 people in a class:confused:

No..just try not to let it get to you. get on with your work so in the end it is worth it all when you get good grades Plus it's not a waste as you need A Levels to get into uni which is what I'm presuming you want to do from what you said.

Good Luck with it and remember to try and take it easy.

ReputationRep:
    -Chavs...those boys with the dodgy haircuts and acting all 'gangster' and thuggish
    -Sleazy **** girls....complimenting those chavs and screaming their head off each second
    -Everything apart from actual sexual intercourse..goes on in the corridors/classrooms. Goodness forbid what goes on in the toilets..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsi101)
    Oh Miss optimist:p: Yes we know it's way better than year 11 however there has to be some negatives:p:
    Lol ive already stated the negatives in a previous post...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junoreacter)
    -Chavs...those boys with the dodgy haircuts and acting all 'gangster' and thuggish
    -Sleazy **** girls....complimenting those chavs and screaming their head off each second
    -Everything apart from actual sexual intercourse..goes on in the corridors/classrooms. Goodness forbid what goes on in the toilets..
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.