Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePenguinMafia)
    decent uni...

low grade requirements.
    might be low grade requirements for some courses, need BBB for my course but the majority of people on it achieved AAB or AAA including myself, so they had the option to go elsewhere and chose Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    I'm at university here I like the city. Hence why I chose it; people are friendly. You obviously get rough parts and crime but so does every major city. Shopping is good - although the Primark isn't all it's cracked up to be IMO. Nightlife is good! Apart from scally men... They are ridiculously chavvy and generally rude. I love how there is so much character, and I'm really glad I chose to come to university here.

ReputationRep:
    Eddie in Bottom's "Hooligans Island" sums it up perfectly:

"I HATE THIS ISLAND SOOO MUCH I WOULD RATHER BE IN LIVERPOOL!!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    People seem to forget that all the Southern residential areas (eg Childwall, Allerton, Aigburth, Calderstones) rather than the Northern ones (Norris Green, Walton, Anfield etc) are lovely, with pretty much zero crime, very few "chavs" and pleasant, well maintained houses - This is the entrance to my road for example

you live on the same road as two of my best friends wuvley grassendale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    you live on the same road as two of my best friends wuvley grassendale.
    Whoooo?!

A girl called Kimoso brings the place down - kick her out :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I guess I have a nostalgic version of Liverpool in my head

But I'm still proud of it - It is still the best city to grow up in and the people are still great.

I have been to many cities around the world and belive me there are a lot worse. There are few cities I could live in - only two shine out because they have a pulse, a warmth, and unbreakable fabric of strength that no matter what happens, the city will come bouncing back.

San Francisco and Liverpool.

Liverpool was smashed by corruption and under investment, San Francisco gets smashed by earthquakes - yet the people of these two places get on with it, seeing beyond what is in front of them, rising above it.

The capital of culture is the superficial substitute they created down at Albert dock - the real culture is that of Liverpool's indiginous polulous, the real people who give the city its beating heart.

You could sink the Albert Dock and the city wouldnt notice - it will still have that vibrant pulse, the music, the character, the heritage, the scars and will live on.

If you sunk the city and left the Albert dock -- you'd just have the dock ... poncey subsitute of a culture -a simulation of one - artificially created, like a kind of bad TV chefs recipe. It means nothing.

My Family came from Orrel Park - Rice Lane area, some of them are still there - Liverpudlians are a proud people - proud of being part of its stock.
    A stock that never devalues.

.....Oh, yeah! -- and it's got a great University. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people in shell suits walking round with car wheel trims under their arms squawking and screeching at each other! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c0sm1c)

.....Oh, yeah! -- and it's got a great University. :yep:
    I got in!!!!!!1one1111!!!!!1

:shifty:

ReputationRep:
    boiler suits
    dody hair cuts
    poverty
    thick accents
    nice city centre
    docks
    football

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickjoe18)
    might be low grade requirements for some courses, need BBB for my course but the majority of people on it achieved AAB or AAA including myself, so they had the option to go elsewhere and chose Liverpool
    what people have and what people say they have are two very different things

what liverpool says it requires and what it'll allow people to have when they jump in on clearing are two very different things

though yeah, there are a lot of very talented students going to study at liverpool. Mostly the locals, irish and the meds, but there are others who just clicked with the city when they came here.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's funny how everyone calling Liverpool a dump is from South (well, the majority) and they're stuck in the dark ages thinking everybody in Liverpool has a perm and a tracksuit. At a Liverpool v Chelsea match once, all the Southerners could do was "calm down calm down" - quite amusing really, thick Londoners.

(Original post by emmaec)
    That's the most ridiculous thing i've ever read in my life.
    You're right, that is ridiculous; I'd never go to Liverpool.

Liverpool heads list of the most deprived areas of England
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...nd-819718.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePenguinMafia)
    Btw, the only good parts of merseyside are outside of liverpool. That stretch from crosby to birkdale > Liverpool by quite a large margin
    Which is where I live, in the outskirts. In Rainhill near to St Helens. I live in some middle class village outside Liverpool. However we get the Huyton bad boys come round here :P

ReputationRep:
    inhabited by people with funny voices :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMed)
    Also, Huyton isnt part of Liverpool :P
    Tis knowsley lol. Just like Rainhill is part of St Helens... cough. They wish. I wish my village could just get independance.... We have a liverpool phone number and postcode and yet were in st helens politically. FREEEEDOOOOOOOOOOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW8_SW1_EC3)
    That's because you're a poor northerner. How the hell can you say the accent goes right through you?! The northern accent is harsh and sounds scummy and is barely understandable, the southern accent is how you are SUPPOSE to sound, have you ever heard someone of importance talking in your gibberish? London is one of the major cities in the entire world in terms of culture, education, art, music and business.

London has large Irish areas as well (not that that's an advantage or disadvantage).
    Lol, this is exactly why people from the south east of England have such a bad reputation everywhere other than the south east of England. Who is this person who decided how people are supposed to sound anyway? And why didn't they inform me too?!

Sorry, should that be how people are "SUPPOSE" to sound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I lived there for 10 years - I left this year and i'm quite glad I did. Where I lived & went to school was very deprived and I didn't see an improvement during those 10 years I was there and doubt there'll be any improvements any time soon. Anfield is a complete mess and they've left the place to rot, Huyton is a disaster as is Kensington where they've covered all of the empty houses with bright coloured boards with capital of culture slogans/images in the hope that it'll look less pathetic and depressing. All they've done is made the city centre look pretty, with new shops and bright posters - for the benefit of people who visit Liverpool not for people who live there. Meanwhile, they've completly ignored the areas outside of the city centre where liverpudlians actually live. So yeah, my interpretation is that it's a crap hole - but the majority of the locals are lovely =]
    haha, well said. They are complete spazholes! My nana lives in anfield so I go there at times, the place makes me want to top myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orionmoo)
    Tis knowsley lol. Just like Rainhill is part of St Helens... cough. They wish. I wish my village could just get independance.... We have a liverpool phone number and postcode and yet were in st helens politically. FREEEEDOOOOOOOOOOM
    Rainhill is St.Helens

ReputationRep:
    i think it's a fantastic city, but it's always REALLY windy when i go there :>.<:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.