Turn on thread page Beta

Is it really unsafe walking on your own? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    so will I, but not by playing the victim and preparing to get stabbed!
    The whole point I'm trying to make in this thread is that you need never be put in the situation where you could become a victim. If you make yourself a hard target then no one is going to have the opportunity to attack you or will bother making the effort to. There are plenty of other sheep out there with their heads up their asses, who they could pick off. Only the most determined attacker would strike and obviously if they were that determined there must be some underlying reason for it i.e. you know each other and there's a grudge.

Geoff Thompson is a world renowned martial artist, he's been a nightclub bouncer for years, he's trained Chuck Norris in Las Vegas, he's competent in boxing, karate, wrestling and god knows what else. He's a leading figure at the British Combat Association. John 'Lofty' Wiseman spent something like 26 years in the SAS and was the chief survival instructor, he also helped set up the Delta Force in America. Both of those men, who are complete experts in killing and maiming people, avoid trouble at all costs. If you asked them for a fight, they would say no.

It's just not worth it, why risk loosing your life or your liberty if you have the opportunity to get away or if you have the opportunity to avoid being put in that situation in the first place, by taking the measures both these men espouse in their self defence books, and some of which I've repeated in this thread both from my own personal experience and their advice. I'm not saying be a victim, if it comes down to it, fight for your life, kill or maim the *******s if you can. But surely avoiding the situation all together is the better alternative? that's what am trying to achieve with the advice I'm giving in this thread.

I'll repeat the quote again '90% of self defence is avoiding trouble in the first place and 10% is being able to deal with situations when they occur.'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.