Turn on thread page Beta

What makes you proud to be British? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    I support the Kurds having an independent state where Kurds live, i.e. Anatolia and parts of northern Iraq.
    Salam,

Hmm, intresting I disagree but i might make a thread one day and babble about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruwayda Mustafah)
    Salam,

Hmm, intresting I disagree but i might make a thread one day and babble about this.
    To tell you the truth I don't know much about but the Kurds have been struggling for a long time to get their own state and I can sympathise with them greatly for personal reasons.

ReputationRep:
    To tell you the truth I don't know much about but the Kurds have been struggling for a long time to get their own state and I can sympathise with them greatly for personal reasons.
    Salam,

I think many people sympathise with them but that’s a different issue, they have been tortured and great injustices have been done to them however I don’t believe this is sufficient justification to say they deserve a state in Anatolia.

ReputationRep:
    Ye good olde music.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not patriotic, but hell heres a list anyway (bearing in mind that theres a list at least double this size in things i'm not proud of)

NHS
    history
    sense of humour
    pubs and the associated social side of them
    secularity
    queues
    countryside
    higher education system (leaving out the fees)
    music (muuuuse)

ReputationRep:
    our sense of humour, democracy, winston churchill.... everything.
    rule britannia! :toofunny:

although our queueing habits are hilarious, and i hate the way we're so lenient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marriedgirl)
    I don't understand how this makes you proud and not disgusted.
    We are a very small country, yet we made the largest Empire ever. We changed the lives of millions, many for the better.

(Original post by tazarooni89)
    Sure, but they don't mind turning non-Britons into slaves
    Why do people make statements like that?

We outlawed slavery in 1807, made slavery illegal in 1833 and freed all remaining slaves around the Empire in 1834.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugelr)
    Why do people make statements like that?

We outlawed slavery in 1807, made slavery illegal in 1833 and freed all remaining slaves around the Empire in 1834.
    It doesn't matter when slavery was outlawed, the fact is that as some point or another, the British used to make slaves of non-British people. As a result, I find this song slightly ironic.

If Germany started singing patriotic songs along the lines of "Germans will never be subject to racism" I would find that slightly odd, considering their previous Nazi regime, albeit that racism is now illegal there.

ReputationRep:
    I love being British for being able to slack off and do nothing whilst people don't have any problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL5aBB1ZPtE

ReputationRep:
    Why do some members keep saying "salem"......
    ??

And to all those who try and denegrate britian for its past: GTFO. Most of these countries have gone BACKWARDS due to their own inability to even look after themselves. Oh so easy to blame the british. Maybe we should have left them in their little tribes :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Depends who you ask... I would have expected that response from someone with the Irish flag in their userbar <.<
    Well obviously. Being from a country that has been 'colonised' by Britain and therefore been changed forever I find it hard to understand how people can say so flippantly that it's such a good thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle89)
    Im not really proud of Britain at all. Its looking a bit **** at the moment really isnt it?
    I do still have my inbuilt Scots Patriotism though (God knows why, but its nice when you go to france and they're just delighted you're scottish instead of english - not that i go to france much lol)
    So you take pride in being able to appease the french.

Great

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously. Being from a country that has been 'colonised' by Britain and therefore been changed forever I find it hard to understand how people can say so flippantly that it's such a good thing!
    The Empire was good and bad for different people. For Ireland it was not so excellent.

ReputationRep:
    I know ireland extremely well, and I can say that there is NOTHING more hypocritical than an irish person.

You watch and follow our football,
    You speak our language
    You watch our TV
    You import our stuff,
    You read our newspapers

The list goes on. Sure ireland had a rough past, but you have taken the best of what you want but still complain.

No one in your country even likes speaking irish ROFL. Whats even funnier is the fact that for years you have been giving all immigrants (who bolstered your economy btw :P) hell, but now your economy has all but collapsed, you are all planning on buggering off round the world again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    It doesn't matter when slavery was outlawed, the fact is that as some point or another, the British used to make slaves of non-British people.
    We also didn't have laws against murder at one point. Did that make liberating Nazi death camps ironic?

The Empire was good and bad for different people. For Ireland it was not so excellent.
    If it wasn't for the British, Ireland would have still been a bog with some huts in 1922.

ReputationRep:
    WW2, the enlightenment, the industrial revolution.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing! we raped, pilaged and tortured our way to control 3/4 of the world, we get involved in stupid wars like iraq and the falklands - what is the point of fighting for 1000 people? in my opinion patriotism just spawns racism and further world wars, isn't it what hitler used as propaganda to entice the germans to "make germany great" I have absolutely no pride in being british whatsoever!

ReputationRep:
    our armed forces and moral stance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry J)
    Nothing! we raped, pilaged and tortured our way to control 3/4 of the world, we get involved in stupid wars like iraq and the falklands - what is the point of fighting for 1000 people? in my opinion patriotism just spawns racism and further world wars, isn't it what hitler used as propaganda to entice the germans to "make germany great" I have absolutely no pride in being british whatsoever!
    stupid wars like the falklands? oh shut up

whats the point in fighting for 1000 people? well for a start they wanted to be british, and we were defending our islands, what would you like? argentina to walk all over the uk because they wanted to divert attention from their economy and let them get away with it 'for the sake of 1000 people'? please, thats pathetic

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.