The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
underachievers annoy me too, a girl in my history who got a D has just been offered a place at Druham for history, i have now idea how and she said she "wasnt shocked" and just assumed theyd take her, she is not an impressive person by any means. WHAT IS MORE ANNOYING is my history teacher willingly predicted her a b when she got a low d and it was a long uphill struggle for him to predict me a b when i was 2 marks off.
Reply 101
yes they really annoy me., 2cool4 school . i also hate people who think Cs are good. I despise getting Bs!!
Reply 102
Everyone should just care about their own results.:rolleyes:
Reply 103
Some posters on this thread will have difficulty entering a room let alone a university as their over-inflated egoes will surely get in the way??
What gives people the right to label people underachievers? Should students who don't get straight A's bow to the superior intelligence of the high achievers ?
I try very hard yet have a mental block when it comes to exams. My AS results were disappointing to say the least - but I bet I tried as hard as some of the posters on here who are preaching from their ivory towers. Get a life - Don't cry just because you'd rather die than get a C -have a little understanding of how hard some people have to work just to get the C that some people seem to so despise.
Can I just say, as the OP, that I used the word underachievers because it seemed best suited
IE people who are capable of getting more, but get less and still won't eat humble pie.

I will back to the hilt anyone who worked as hard for their C as I did my A.

I am not arrogant, those who neg repped me. I do have pride in my results, but I worked very hard for that.

My point is that the real arrogant ones are those who, like my friend on CDD today, tell me they're going to earn twice as much as me and laugh at me when they have nicer cars. This is despite me never giving them anything but help, support, notes, and a shoulder on AS results day.
Reply 105
Edessa
Some posters on this thread will have difficulty entering a room let alone a university as their over-inflated egoes will surely get in the way??
What gives people the right to label people underachievers? Should students who don't get straight A's bow to the superior intelligence of the high achievers ?
I try very hard yet have a mental block when it comes to exams. My AS results were disappointing to say the least - but I bet I tried as hard as some of the posters on here who are preaching from their ivory towers. Get a life - Don't cry just because you'd rather die than get a C -have a little understanding of how hard some people have to work just to get the C that some people seem to so despise.

i think you've taken this thread the wrong way. Everyone has different levels of what they can achieve. Underachieving is not working towards or even trying to live up to the potential someone can. By you working hard for your results doesn't mean your an underachiever and those ''who can't stand to get C's'' are not trying to be condescending - For them a C in a particular subject would be them 'underachieving' whereas a C for some maybe an 'A' for others. if you catch my drift...
Reply 106
I don't think the OP was criticizing so called 'underachievers', more ranting about the fact they don't get praised even though they get better grades. Frankly, it is annoying when you have to tell people (who've spent most of their education smoking behind the bikeshed) how well they've done when they've got Ds and Es and they just sneer at you and say "Well, you were obviously going to get all As weren't you, you don't even have to try".
I understand OP's frustration, but look on the bright side: that's a few less people to compete with for university places!
Reply 107
fantasystar38
My point is that the real arrogant ones are those who, like my friend on CDD today, tell me they're going to earn twice as much as me and laugh at me when they have nicer cars. This is despite me never giving them anything but help, support, notes, and a shoulder on AS results day.

:frown: I think you need a better set of friends... For the support you put in, at least you deserve people who don't put you down like that, or at least, who shut up when they've got nothing good to say.
Let people get on with what they want. I went through a rough time, did nothing and got crap grades, but due to encouragement form friends ect I managed to turn it around. If I'd just had a load of people like you telling me that I'm underachieving and lazy, then I would have given up completely.
I myself am a tremendous underachiever, going for days without doing any work at home or school - I think I have a problem with concentration, or maybe I'm just plain lazy. Luckily I managed to scrape CCCU at AS, and will hopefully bring that up with some retakes. But everyone has their own **** going down, and if someone isn't achieving their potential then don't begrudge them for getting some attention while your churning out the the A grades - they're probably getting enough from an earful from their parents/teachers/whatever, and anyway you've got to where you want to be - the recognition will come with the PhD...:wink:
Reply 110
Im looking at going back to uni, did a-levels 10 years ago.
It was very good going if someone got all A's when doing 3 a-levels, & it was usually the same sort of people, basically very good at retaining information & presenting stuff, but not very creative.

If someone has put the effort in, & done their best, how can they have underachieved?
Not everyone is good at exams, people are going through different things while at college etc

Latest

Trending

Trending