Turn on thread page Beta

Should underachievers be barred from attending uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laith)
    Science is regarded much more widely and is more academic than things like English, History and Human Geography. These subjects require a fraction of the intelligence of that involved in Maths, Physics, Biology or Chemistry. Witten was obviously extremely clever and he transferred realtively early in his uni career, but there are exceptions to every trend. As a scientisit I would be much more confident walking into a History exam and just regurgitating facts than in a science exam that requires a degree of thought.
    I wasn't particularly annoyed with you until this point. However, I would like to point out that History and English Lit. require a lot more thought and it is in fact Science A levels (perhaps with the exception of Maths) that requires regurgitation.
    Biology is simply memorization, Chemistry too but with a bit more understanding needed. Philosophy, however...Well. Requires thought.

ReputationRep:
    haha, oh how this topic has pushed through some entertainment now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laith)
    I associated feminism with you as a male. Get some testosterone into your bloodstream. Oh wait, you probably don't even know what it is.
    Well done. :rolleyes:

Do you want a sticker?

ReputationRep:
    I havent read the entire thread but the only way to get into uni is to work hard at college or sixth form and get the grades required for whatever you want to study. I always remember what I was told at college and that is this:

"A university place is a priviledge and not a right".

ReputationRep:
    Laith, you are a tool. I could write a discourse on the need for ensuring the breadth of the academy, but then I'd I have to put up with even more underlining and italicising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I havent read the entire thread but the only way to get into uni is to work hard at college or sixth form and get the grades required for whatever you want to study. I always remember what I was told at college and that is this:

A university place is a priviledge and not a right".
    Or, you know, if you have a passion for your subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicideCommando)
    I meant things like, death of a member of the family etc.
    Tbh, A-Levels aren't that hard, and you don't need to work excessively to get good grades. Good grades being C+ IMO, cos that's about 50%

There are courses, such as drama, which rely on auditions etc, and that's fine.
    To clarify, I'm saying that A-Levels aren't a good measure for some courses, and that actually, in some areas, like drama, people who are genuinely good at it might not be able to gain 'good' A-Levels. I'm not sold on the idea that anyone can pass an A-Level by work actually. I think it's true of GCSEs, but at A-Level aptitude kicks in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Or, you know, if you have a passion for your subject?
    Quite. Otherwise its just a waste of tax payers money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Quite. Otherwise its just a waste of tax payers money.
    Exactly; but I was just saying that working hard at A-Level isn't the only way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Exactly; but I was just saying that working hard at A-Level isn't the only way.
    I never actually did A levels and I got into uni . Because I was a mature student I did an access course which gave me the right entry qualifications for uni.

Although I understand that grades don't necessarily reflect a person's ability or circumstances but if we are accepting the OPs line of approach then we should all consently agree that the OP should be barred from attending uni.

OP - When did you get your rejections?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laith)
    Science is regarded much more widely and is more academic than things like English, History and Human Geography. These subjects require a fraction of the intelligence of that involved in Maths, Physics, Biology or Chemistry. Witten was obviously extremely clever and he transferred realtively early in his uni career, but there are exceptions to every trend. As a scientisit I would be much more confident walking into a History exam and just regurgitating facts than in a science exam that requires a degree of thought.
    If you had any idea of what university-level exams involve, you wouldn't be making such a ridiculous sweeping statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    I wasn't particularly annoyed with you until this point. However, I would like to point out that History and English Lit. require a lot more thought and it is in fact Science A levels (perhaps with the exception of Maths) that requires regurgitation.
    Biology is simply memorization, Chemistry too but with a bit more understanding needed. Philosophy, however...Well. Requires thought.
    Firstly, we were talking about degree level for the vast majority of the discussion. 1. Biology requires ALOT of understanding underpinning memorisation, for example, how a kidney creates a concentration gradient of salts. Pretty difficult. 2. Chemistry requires alot of understanding e.g. on the most basic level why do metals donate electron(s)? ANS: because this is the easiest way to have a full outermost energy-shell 3. Physics? 4. Maths, yeah is awesome and I agree with you on this point 5. Philosophy is common sense and you can't get a damn answer wrong.

P.S I can guarantee most of the people arguing with me are females. They generally like the arty-farty subjects more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    If you had any idea of what university-level exams involve, you wouldn't be making such a ridiculous sweeping statement.
    I doubt he cares. He's still in Year 5 drinking milk from plastic cartons.

ReputationRep:
    holy COWWWWWWWWW, 6 pages in one 1 hour ?

this forum is too fast

ReputationRep:
    You know, we all moan about some of vidachicks threads but you have to admit that TSR would be a duller place without her. Less frustrating yes, but certainly duller...

ReputationRep:
    When you actually break down how much the Government is paying for each person to go to university even with tuition fees, we hardly get a bad deal, especially compared to other countries and as they will only increase I doubt they would be free anyways.

And A Level grades are not always a good indicator of suitability to higher education or the ability to do a job. Do A Levels predict who will be a good nurse, for example? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Laith, shut up. It doesn't matter what degree you do as long as you're passionate about it. Any degree can get you most jobs.
    LMAO YOURE THE DUMBASS WHO JUST DISSED MEDIA STUDENTS

HYPOCRITE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anabolicator)
    LMAO YOURE THE DUMBASS WHO JUST DISSED MEDIA STUDENTS

HYPOCRITE
    Er, no I didn't. That was one example in my argument that people at second rate unis doing second rate degrees shouldn't receive equal funding to those at good unis doing good degrees. By all means, go and do media, but don't force mummy and daddy's pockets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Er, no I didn't. That was one example in my argument that people at second rate unis doing second rate degrees shouldn't receive equal funding to those at good unis doing good degrees. By all means, go and do media, but don't force mummy and daddy's pockets.
    Tut tut.....

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.