Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Where is better?
    Manchester
    40.36%
    London
    59.64%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonboyyork)
    Ok, but I don't think I said anything particularly inaccurate about Manchester? It might call itself multicultural, but nowhere can claim to be that without the cultures interacting. There is still a long way to go until cultures in the North integrate and are accepted.
    When I said it was homogenous, yes that's strong, but again, you won't blame me for saying that after living in London. It's hard for me to return to Yorkshire, it's odd walking down the street. I feel...quite a menacing atmosphere in the air, and as someone who is mixed race, I feel as though I should be careful with what I do or say. The North is just not somewhere I can be myself or feel at ease, I suppose that's why I find it dull.
    there is a lot of diversity in manchester, and I think it's quite accurate to say that the various cultures in manchester aren't fully integrated. but this isn't a criticism which can't be levelled at london also - brick lane? brixton? mill hill? how is brick lane much different from rusholme? there's ghettoisation of this sort in london as well. so if you're going to call manchester homogenous for that reason, you're going to have to say much of the same thing about london.

I've never experienced any kind of racial tension in manchester, I never experienced any racial tension with in my mixed-race relationship with my mixed-race ex-boyfriend, either. maybe in yorkshire, somewhere rural or very white, this might be the case, or somewhere like oldham - not so much in manchester, I don't think. I've never really seen/heard/experienced anything like that living here.

I think you've created a very negative impression of manchester, as somewhere small, close-minded, uninteresting and backwards - I think this is unaccurate, and unfair. london is certainly smaller and less diverse than somewhere like new york, that doesn't make london small or backwards just because it's lesser in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonboyyork)
    I think my choice (London) comes down to attitudes and mindset. I can't imagine Manchester offering the kinds of friends I have made in London, and the general openness that I've found here. I've visited Manchester, as I am originally from the North, and yes, it has a nice city centre, just as Birmingham and Newcastle do, with a bit of modern architecture and fancy bridges, but I left a little unimpressed by the place. It seems too small in comparison to London, and for Manchester to call itself multicultural is a joke - most Northern towns like to think they are, but the cultures rarely mix; the impression I got from living in the North was a coexistance rather than interaction.

It's so different here in London though, I love it more than I can describe. I go to an amazing university, a type of university I promise you would never find in the North, or in Manchester.

I've also never really taken to the whole chatting to your bus driver or co-passenger on the train. It's just petty small talk I've never felt I've needed. I kind of like being able to be undisturbed on the tube or whatever.This wasn't the case where I used to live.

I am surprised as to how many people prefer Manchester over London. London has everything going for it, it's so international and liberal, fashionable and famous over the world. When somebody says the word 'Manchester' I'm not really sure of what I think of, except for the city centre and its homogenous, boring population (like York).
    Lol I totally forgot about this thread! Thanks for reminding me Manchester lost

ReputationRep:
    nottingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    nottingham
    :hahaha:

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.