Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by lala)
    Who made you the expert on Mancunian United fans? Wasnt aware that was your area of expertise! I am one and he doesnt bother me at all. I think theres perhaps an element of the whole supporting thing that you miss out on if you dont support a local team (and by the way, I wouldnt have thought Arsenal are the nearest team to Croydon, did you used to live in North London or something?) but the tirades about the need to support the nearest team to you are daft. Speaking as a United fan from Manchester, I dont have a problem with people who love to watch and support United but are on the other side of the world. There are some who would disagree with me but the fact is you can't generalise us like that without being wrong.
    Danmushman - isn't Crystal Palace nearer to Croydon than Arsenal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Who made you the expert on Mancunian United fans? Wasnt aware that was your area of expertise! I am one and he doesnt bother me at all. I think theres perhaps an element of the whole supporting thing that you miss out on if you dont support a local team (and by the way, I wouldnt have thought Arsenal are the nearest team to Croydon, did you used to live in North London or something?) but the tirades about the need to support the nearest team to you are daft. Speaking as a United fan from Manchester, I dont have a problem with people who love to watch and support United but are on the other side of the world. There are some who would disagree with me but the fact is you can't generalise us like that without being wrong.
    I did live in North London.
    I think a lot of real united fans would have no time for the people who don't bother going to matches. I have no problem with fans from around the world supporting european teams, because there is no 'local' team, but if you live in the UK and have 5 premisership teams within 20 miles, then there's no reason to support a team 500 miles away. To add to this, I have cousins in Malaysia who support united, and even they've been to games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Danmushman - isn't Crystal Palace nearer to Croydon than Arsenal?
    yes it is, so were wimbledon. But I was born and lived in N london.

(Original post by DanMushMan)
    I did live in North London.
    I think a lot of real united fans would have no time for the people who don't bother going to matches. I have no problem with fans from around the world supporting european teams, because there is no 'local' team, but if you live in the UK and have 5 premisership teams within 20 miles, then there's no reason to support a team 500 miles away. To add to this, I have cousins in Malaysia who support united, and even they've been to games.
    As I said, its difficult to generalise- some Manc United fans agree with me, some take an attitude about as sensible as yours. Either way, what you said wasn't correct.
    I do find the whole 'local team' thing a tad ridiculous as you might have noticed- its not like theres a legal obligation to support the team nearest to you, and the arguments are all pretty easily countered, but I dont suppose we'll agree on that. I read what you said about where you lived on the Arsenal thread, I dont know London geography well but it would be interesting to know if Arsenal actually were the nearest team to you. It also depends on whom you include in terms of teams- I bet theres a pub side nearer to where you're from then Arsenal, why didnt you support them? As far as I'm concerned, team choice is a personal thing and none of the 'local' arguments survive close consideration. That said, I think you probably miss out on some of the experience of local fans if you arent one, but I dont see any reason to criticise people who feel an allegiance to a team they dont happen to live close to.
    lala

ReputationRep:
    It's not like local teams are made up of local players anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    It's not like local teams are made up of local players anyway.
    Some are. Like Dulwich Hamlet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    As I said, its difficult to generalise- some Manc United fans agree with me, some take an attitude about as sensible as yours. Either way, what you said wasn't correct.
    I do find the whole 'local team' thing a tad ridiculous as you might have noticed- its not like theres a legal obligation to support the team nearest to you, and the arguments are all pretty easily countered, but I dont suppose we'll agree on that. I read what you said about where you lived on the Arsenal thread, I dont know London geography well but it would be interesting to know if Arsenal actually were the nearest team to you. It also depends on whom you include in terms of teams- I bet theres a pub side nearer to where you're from then Arsenal, why didnt you support them? As far as I'm concerned, team choice is a personal thing and none of the 'local' arguments survive close consideration. That said, I think you probably miss out on some of the experience of local fans if you arent one, but I dont see any reason to criticise people who feel an allegiance to a team they dont happen to live close to.
    lala
    Its a bit rich to complain that you can't make it to games because they're too far away and its too expensive to get there if you've chosen to support a team on the other side of the country. You don't have to support the team which is the closest one to you (tho it was spurs or the gooners), but the only reason anyone would chose to support man u if they lived in london is that they're successful. There's no other reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BABYGUY)
    you will find a big division. there are geeks, and their are the cooler, normal people, with personlity's aswell as brains.
    Do you think they are more likely to offer a place to someone who is clearly not a geek?

ReputationRep:
    Its a bit rich to complain that you can't make it to games because they're too far away and its too expensive to get there if you've chosen to support a team on the other side of the country. You don't have to support the team which is the closest one to you (tho it was spurs or the gooners), but the only reason anyone would chose to support man u if they lived in london is that they're successful. There's no other reason.
    Its nice to see you two at it again.

Haha Blackburn.

ReputationRep:
    Family tradition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goat)
    Do you think they are more likely to offer a place to someone who is clearly not a geek?
    Sorry it looks like the post has changed topic slightly now.

Not trying to interupt!

(Original post by Goat)
    Sorry it looks like the post has changed topic slightly now.

Not trying to interupt!

Did you know I started the thread? Really pleased with myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Family tradition?
    ok, but the other guy who supports united said it had nothing to do with that.

ReputationRep:
    The other guy hates his family. He will go against tradition, particularly since much of the tradition was established in Bangladesh and is impractical in his home of England.
    Don't talk about me when you don't know jack about me. And as for the Rio thing, the FA did not charge him for 'wilfully' missing a test. Now put yourself in Rio's shoes, would you not feel hard done by if you got a ban? Especially after the FA said they don't believe he meant to miss the test? The purpose of the test was to clear him for the Turkey game. He missed the test, so he was punished by being banned for the Turkey game. If they believe he wilfully missed the test, a long-term ban is in the question. If not, which they don't, a ban would be very harsh for a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    The other guy hates his family. He will go against tradition, particularly since much of the tradition was established in Bangladesh and is impractical in his home of England.
    Don't talk about me when you don't know jack about me. And as for the Rio thing, the FA did not charge him for 'wilfully' missing a test. Now put yourself in Rio's shoes, would you not feel hard done by if you got a ban? Especially after the FA said they don't believe he meant to miss the test? The purpose of the test was to clear him for the Turkey game. He missed the test, so he was punished by being banned for the Turkey game. If they believe he wilfully missed the test, a long-term ban is in the question. If not, which they don't, a ban would be very harsh for a mistake.
    I think you said your mum was a liverpool supporter, thats all I was basing it on.
    The FA have charged Rio with 'refusing' to take a test. What is the difference between 'refusing' and 'wilfully refusing' a test?? The only difference is that the latter charge leads to an automatic 2 yr ban, whilst the former leads to a bad of upto 2 years.
    Noone will ever know whether Rio took drugs or not, but he missed the test and is guilty of that. Thats a very serious offence, and in a sport like athletics he would've already been suspended, and for a very long time. He has absolutely no excuse for missing the test, none at all. If they don't give him a lengthy ban, and with UEFA and FIFA watchin I think they will, then it will set a dangerous precendent. People will just 'forget' about tests and take them when they want; they'll use the 'Rio' defence.
    Missing the Turkey game was not a real punishment, he'll get what's coming to him, and soon hopefully (as long as united stop stalling). As long as the FA stand up and be counted, I'll have no complaint. Anyway, the form he's in at the moment, it'll be doing you a favour if he's given a lengthy ban.

ReputationRep:
    I think you said your mum was a liverpool supporter, thats all I was basing it on.
    The FA have charged Rio with 'refusing' to take a test. What is the difference between 'refusing' and 'wilfully refusing' a test?? The only difference is that the latter charge leads to an automatic 2 yr ban, whilst the former leads to a bad of upto 2 years.
    Noone will ever know whether Rio took drugs or not, but he missed the test and is guilty of that. Thats a very serious offence, and in a sport like athletics he would've already been suspended, and for a very long time. He has absolutely no excuse for missing the test, none at all. If they don't give him a lengthy ban, and with UEFA and FIFA watchin I think they will, then it will set a dangerous precendent. People will just 'forget' about tests and take them when they want; they'll use the 'Rio' defence.
    Missing the Turkey game was not a real punishment, he'll get what's coming to him, and soon hopefully (as long as united stop stalling). As long as the FA stand up and be counted, I'll have no complaint. Anyway, the form he's in at the moment, it'll be doing you a favour if he's given a lengthy ban.
    He was not charged with refusing, but with failing to take the test. Two different things. Rio should be punished in some way, so that people know the FA are serious, but the lax nature of drug testing in the English game means that players in all four leagues can afford to take drugs because the chances of being tested are so small. I've heard it's as small as two players from each team in two games across a match weekend. In Italy, for example, every game has players tested. There's less of a complacency and drug culture over there. So yes Rio needs a good spanking but the FA needs a look at the way it polices drug use.
    As for his form, he did have a mare yesterday! Young Wesley is on his way back so we're alright in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    He was not charged with refusing, but with failing to take the test. Two different things. Rio should be punished in some way, so that people know the FA are serious, but the lax nature of drug testing in the English game means that players in all four leagues can afford to take drugs because the chances of being tested are so small. I've heard it's as small as two players from each team in two games across a match weekend. In Italy, for example, every game has players tested. There's less of a complacency and drug culture over there. So yes Rio needs a good spanking but the FA needs a look at the way it polices drug use.
    As for his form, he did have a mare yesterday! Young Wesley is on his way back so we're alright in that respect.
    you need to check your facts, he was charged with:
    'the failure or refusal by a player to submit to drug testing as required by a competent official'

ReputationRep:
    you need to check your facts, he was charged with:
    'the failure or refusal by a player to submit to drug testing as required by a competent official'
    Failure is in there is it not?

ReputationRep:
    Failure is in there is it not?
    yep, but more importantly refusal is, so saying that he wasn't charged with refusal is false.

ReputationRep:
    Don't talk about me when you don't know jack about me.
    Actually the suggestion about family tradition was not a suggestion of your own reasons for supporting. As you say, I know very little of your personal circumstance. The comment was meant as a general response to Dan, who said that 'the only reason anyone would chose to support man u if they lived in london is that they're successful. There's no other reason.' -Which I contradicted.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.