Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I Have Still Not Dineit Yet And The School Is Not Sure When We Will Do It
rupertj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think you can still do the paper, or can you?

I'm into the Olympiad by the way (year 11).
k8ht67`
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i would guess you couldn't do it as the answers are posted on their website so i don't think you are going to be doing it.
Ray_Han
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Kangaroo
adil12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm in Year 10 and I gt a score of 103 so through to the Olympiad
Revolution is my Name
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Damn them. why have my stupid school not told me my result yet? arrrgggghhh
k8ht67`
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my school hasn't either. I don't really want to though because i don't think i got the best in the year and i hate not being the best at anything
edgood93
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i scored 110 on the test, and i am entered into the olympiad
Revolution is my Name
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Revolution is my Name)
Damn them. why have my stupid school not told me my result yet? arrrgggghhh
scotch that, I'm through to the olympiad.
k8ht67`
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
just scraped through to the olympiad, 90 and i am a year 10. And last year i failed completely got like 37 or something.
rupertj
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by k8ht67`)
just scraped through to the olympiad, 90 and i am a year 10. And last year i failed completely got like 37 or something.
That just shows that the Maths CHallenge is not the best way of picking Olympians; it produces inconsistency. I got 70-something last year, but over 100 this year. But on practice papers for the olympiad, I do better than a lot of people I know or have heard of getting more than me in the maths challenge.
Revolution is my Name
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rupertj)
That just shows that the Maths CHallenge is not the best way of picking Olympians; it produces inconsistency. I got 70-something last year, but over 100 this year. But on practice papers for the olympiad, I do better than a lot of people I know or have heard of getting more than me in the maths challenge.
what's the marking like for the Olympiad, and grade boundaries?
rupertj
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This should explain the marking system. There are six questions, requiring rigorous solutions, and making ambiguous points in your working loses you marks.

Here is a past paper for year 11's.

Here are the solutions. (The pages are mixed up between different papers, just look for 'Maclaurin'.

This shows you the score distribution last year. Being in year 11, you want to look at the bottom graph. Note that 500 students participate.

I hear that a merit requires only something like 15/60, while a distinction requires around 30/60 most years. Coming in the top 50 gets you some sort of special prize and requires roughly 40/60, which, after some practice, I am finding doable. Beyond that, the top *something* people across all three year groups (mainly years 10 and 11), who probably get something like 45-50/60 or more, are invited to a training camp, which is meant to prepare them to do more of this sort of stuff in the years to come and to eventually be in the UK team.
k8ht67`
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
did anyone do any of the olympiads today. I did the hamilton paper and got the solutions to questions 1,2,4 i think
rupertj
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did maclaurin, answering 1, 2, and 3. That's all i could manage...
k8ht67`
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did maclaurin, answering 1, 2, and 3. That's all i could manage...
is it decent doing 3, i don't really have clue. I know i am not the greatest as i scraped in to be honest, i only got 90 on the first one and i needed 90 to do the hamilton
rupertj
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
According to the instructions on the paper, getting 2 questions done is impressive. However, I was expecting 50/60 or more, I just don't know what happened to me when I actually did it.
k8ht67`
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
According to the instructions on the paper, getting 2 questions done is impressive. However, I was expecting 50/60 or more, I just don't know what happened to me when I actually did it.
I am pretty happy now that i know that. I am sorry to hear that but everyone has their bad days, and good days like me
the.truth.hurt.me<3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
LOL! You guys are all really clever...I only got through to the Kangaroo...and I messed up the paper 'coz I read the questions all wrong! Dayyym! X
k8ht67`
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by the.truth.hurt.me<3)
LOL! You guys are all really clever...I only got through to the Kangaroo...and I messed up the paper 'coz I read the questions all wrong! Dayyym! X
Well, to be honest getting through to the Kangaroo is good. Only 4 people out of 60 in my school got through to a follow on round. So you must be pretty intelligent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (16)
29.63%
No - I got the required grades (30)
55.56%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (8)
14.81%

Watched Threads