F1 wins to determine champion! Watch

shyopstv
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by teshla^^)
Hope Kimi wins 7 races and claims the championship halfway through the season.....that will really liven up the sport -_- Tbh the bbc article about this made alot of good points.Why are they messing with a formula that has delivered two of the most exciting and open seasons in recent times.I agree with the point that a winner should be rewarded,but they should of just changed the points so that 2nd place gets 7 points.
But as I argued earlier, the last two seasons would have been equally exciting, if not moreso under the new system. Also, the last two seasons were not exciting because of the points system, 2007 was exciting because Hamilton blew a massive chance of winning the championship gifting it to the complete outsider and 2008 was exciting because it rained at the end of the final race and Hamilton got overtaken by Vettel meaning that he then had to overtake Glock who was only ahead of him in the first place because of the rain. Hamilton really should have been able to wreck the excitement in those seasons by winning both of those championships very easily.
jumpinglunch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by shyopstv)
But as I argued earlier, the last two seasons would have been equally exciting, if not moreso under the new system. Also, the last two seasons were not exciting because of the points system, 2007 was exciting because Hamilton blew a massive chance of winning the championship gifting it to the complete outsider and 2008 was exciting because it rained at the end of the final race and Hamilton got overtaken by Vettel meaning that he then had to overtake Glock who was only ahead of him in the first place because of the rain. Hamilton really should have been able to wreck the excitement in those seasons by winning both of those championships very easily.
Ok valid point, but what happens if the first half of this season is heavily dominated by one team/driver....then you find yourself in a situation where the championship has already been decided,and there is no point in sustaining interest in the season =/
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A good point was made to me yesterday.

It's possible that you can win the WDC by winning 2 races and not finishing any others...
Emsybean
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)

It's possible that you can win the WDC by winning 2 races and not finishing any others...
:eek3:

That's shocking...is that with the points system or the new one?
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Emsybean)
:eek3:

That's shocking...is that with the points system or the new one?
This new system of rewarding flash in the pan driving.
Emsybean
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This new system of rewarding flash in the pan driving.
I think you've just swayed me - damn Bernie...
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Emsybean)
I think you've just swayed me - damn Bernie...
Yeah, most people are hoping he keels over sometime soon. Or at least gets committed for mental health issues...
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm excited yet still sceptical. I think more points for the grand prix winner would have been better and maybe fairer. If this system does not work it will leave the FIA with even more egg on there faces.
what_apples
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

That would be a pretty extreme situation though; where every other race has a different winner.

You could equally say that with the old points system you could become champion without ever winning a race, possibly (not done the maths) without ever being on the podium. Because of this, your point doesn't really sway me one way or the other.
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by what_apples)
That would be a pretty extreme situation though; where every other race has a different winner.

You could equally say that with the old points system you could become champion without ever winning a race, possibly (not done the maths) without ever being on the podium. Because of this, your point doesn't really sway me one way or the other.
Oh yeah, it's the most extreme circumstance, but you'd still have to be consistent with the old points rules all season. This is literally, win 2, DNF the rest.

Depends how you see a league championship.

If you feel that winning races is more important, then yes, this season is great.
If you feel that season long consistancy is more important, then it's rubbish.

I'm more towards consistancy.

Edit: I'm not really trying to swing you either way. I'm just complaining about it. Makes no difference to me what other people think of this rule, hell, makes no difference what I think. In the end, I'm still going to watch F1. Hopefully we'll have a good season, that's all I want really.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 01zaporozhets)
Firstly - hi Steve, fancy finding you here of all places?!

Secondly - haha, I've been having exactly the same argument on my facebook status, it's me for the new system against every other person against. You should clearly get over there and tell them they all have **** for brains :p:
Allo Dmitri. I think I been on here for coming up to 5 years now I personally think we should wait and see what happens with regards to the new system.

As for what someone said - yes you can win the title with 2 wins and x DNFs. when was the last time someone had two wins and x DNFs and the rest of the races were won by different people?
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by El Stevo)
Allo Dmitri. I think I been on here for coming up to 5 years now I personally think we should wait and see what happens with regards to the new system.

As for what someone said - yes you can win the title with 2 wins and x DNFs. when was the last time someone had two wins and x DNFs and the rest of the races were won by different people?
Probably never! I don't think it'll be anything like that tbh, it's just a bizarre thought that you could be champion like this.
castroneves
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by El Stevo)

Pironi would have won in 82 under pretty much those circumstances if this system was in place then.
PoisonDonna
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
All this chat of winning 2 and DNFing the rest is a lot more realistic this season too. Seeing as the pecking order is being shuffled a bit, we could see more drivers/teams winning races [2007 was the dullest season ever with only McMerc or Ferrari winning a race...] so say like driver won a couple of races each... it really could happen.

AAAAAAAAH.
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by castroneves)
Pironi would have won in 82 under pretty much those circumstances if this system was in place then.
:eek:

I really hope this doesn't happen. I don't think it will... It's potentailly possible that a guy with 20 points could beat a guy with 154! :woo:
Untitled258
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PoisonDonna)
All this chat of winning 2 and DNFing the rest is a lot more realistic this season too. Seeing as the pecking order is being shuffled a bit, we could see more drivers/teams winning races [2007 was the dullest season ever with only McMerc or Ferrari winning a race...] so say like driver won a couple of races each... it really could happen.

AAAAAAAAH.
Bearnie was saying, from what i read on the bbc website that button/rbrawn could win the championship, if they keep up there pace and win the first 3 races, then not do so great in the rest, they would still have a good chance of winning.

I would love button to with the WDC, but through the points system, not like that, that would be a cop out.

Alonso dosnt like it from the sounds of it, i tend to agree with him on issues i have noticed in the past.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/03/1...-rule-changes/

I like Hamiltons "i have no opinion" it sums him up, no personality PR machine that dosnt want to cause controversy or go against the FIA. I guess he may have an opinion if he had a car that was quick though.

Its like Lauda said, the only personality Lewis has is the pussy cat lass girlfriend he has.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

AAAAAAAAH.
castroneves
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I disagree that 2007 was a dull season, was alot better than many previous years, and for the first time in a very long time, someone came from a good distance back to take the title. While its nice to have more than two teams winning races, Id rather it was that way than have tonnes of different winners and every one of them being a procession...
thomasp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

AAAAAAAAH.
I'd say that's more than feasible - 5 teams, each driver winning 2 races. Brawn, Ferrari, BMW, Renault and McLaren if they sort their act out could all challenge for wins. Maybe even throw Red Bull into the mix on some tracks.

All we need are some first-corner bumps to send those wide front wings flying, a few KERS failures and handful of engines that don't quite last three races and you've got yourself 8 or 9 different winners. And then throw in a bit of weather into the mix.
Eien
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can see Bernie's argument about drivers all striving to win and creating the extra incentive, but I believe consistency and reliability as a driver and team are also significant, and should be recognised by having points that contribute to a championship win. However, F1 has had many such 'points systems' and it will be interesting to see how it pans out - back in 1988 there was another system where Senna won because only the best eleven scores counted, and he had more wins, whereas Prost actually scored more points overall. I think it may be something quickly removed like the one lap qualifying if it proves detrimental. What I don't agree with is the budget cuts, which will change the face of F1 considerably, and not in a good way.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (133)
18.4%
No (439)
60.72%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.89%

Watched Threads