Turn on thread page Beta

Why do some athiests believe that Jesus did exist? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In a futile attempt to show consideration for the other side of the argument, duh. >_>
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by NEVERYOUMIND)
    in what circumstances would you die for someone who's not your boyfriend/girlfriend, close friend or family member? i think the only circumstances would be if you thought that particular individual was someone you were convinced was God.
    Well you are incorrect. Just look at history. Socrates, for example, had the chance to escape from his gruesome death of drinking hemlock, but he chose death over escape due to reasons totally unconnected from religion or God - an allegiance to the State was one of them.

Maybe this will make it clearer. People martyred themselves in the name of Christianity. At the same time (around 200ish), people martyred themselves in the name of ancient sun Gods. Or in the name of the 'miracle' of Mohammed writing the Koran.

(Original post by NEVERYOUMIND)
    And its not luck that a major religion is based on jesus and not any of the many other people claiming to be the messiah.
    Well it probably is partly down to luck, actually. :yep:

You have a rather unsophisticated foundation for your faith to be honest. If you engaged in bit of proper theological discourse, you will probably find yourself being ripped to shreds.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus' abilities were exaggerated
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mr Snips)
    Jesus' abilities were exaggerated
    hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    Ok so quite a few people believe that Jesus existed but question whether he was the son of God. I'm not sure if you believing that Jesus existed means that you believe what is written in the bible. But if you do then you would be able to see that the coming of Jesus was foretold in the Old testament. Jesus came to fulfil the laws that were already in place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syzygy7)
    You are brainwashed. Yes there was evidence for a man called Jesus, but did he perform miracles? No.

I am an atheist and I believe there was a man called Jesus sometime around 2000 years ago, but not some miracle making person or anything like that.
    So what type of person is the Jesus you believe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Gene_Genie)
    Give me one good reason why I should believe he was God in human flesh. I am/was a Catholic but am SERIOUSLY doubtful, would almost say atheist now. That's what a Catholic education does to you.....
    I don't know how knowledgable you are of the bible or whether you hold it in high regard but the coming of Jesus had been foretold in the Old testament. You need to understand the full purpose of the coming of Jesus and what he came to accomplish. When God was communicating to people of the Old testament they were disobedient to the laws of God so Jesus had to come to communicate these laws to the people in a way that they could understand which was in flesh. What/how did the leaders of your faith communicate this to you? What did you understand previously about the whole concept of Christ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    It is not a fact that Jesus was God in human flesh. So dont treat it like it is. The existence of Jesus has been widely accepted by historians, scholars and researchers, but there's no evidence to suggest he was God in human flesh.
    Did you mean to say "it is not the fact that Jesus existed. So don't treat it like it is. The existence of Jesus has been widely accepted by historians, scholars and researchers, but there's no evidence to suggest he was God in human flesh."

If that's not what you meant then I don't really understand your point. If it is what you meant then I would say that it's based on faith. There are many things that people find hard to comprehend but they still believe in it. Take Love for example. There is not exactly any real evidence to prove that true love exists but people still believe in it. How is one supposed to measure true love?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesusisreal)
    Did you mean to say "it is not the fact that Jesus existed. So don't treat it like it is. The existence of Jesus has been widely accepted by historians, scholars and researchers, but there's no evidence to suggest he was God in human flesh."

If that's not what you meant then I don't really understand your point. If it is what you meant then I would say that it's based on faith. There are many things that people find hard to comprehend but they still believe in it. Take Love for example. There is not exactly any real evidence to prove that true love exists but people still believe in it. How is one supposed to measure true love?
    No, I meant to say that it is not a fact that Jesus was God in human flesh. Exactly what I said originally.
    God is not fact. I believe in God but I would never, ever say that his existence is factual. So if God is not factual how can you assume that Jesus being his Son is factual?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frodz)
    Why the distinction? They clearly need no proof that what said guy is saying is true, so why do they need proof about the guy in the first place?

Clearly this is true as there is no proof that the guy, as claimed in the bible, did exist. Millions of people in far-off lands were converted to Christianity without ever seeing a scrap of "evidence" past the bible.......
    I know plenty of people from other places came to believe in him without ever seeing him themselves, but there had to be some sort of way to get it to catch on in the first place. It's one thing to gather a larger following once it's already been established, but you can't do it without a leader to begin with. That's just illogical.

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of historical evidence that proves it. He might not have been the miracle man he is believed to be, but I'm sure he had a lot of people following him for a major reason.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether he existed or not, but it doesn't really make that much difference to my personal beliefs (or lack thereof) whether he did or he didn't. It's a moot point.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this thread still going?

ANSWER: Many people accept that someone called Jesus probably lived around 2000 years ago and had an early following by those who believed him to be the messiah, which has developed into modern day Christianity.

However, while they might accept Jesus as a historical figure, an atheist would dispute that Jesus was the "son of God"...

Can we finish this thread now? It's been going all day.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus almost definitely existed, it's just some people don't follow his views.
    Christianity, Judaism, Islam and even Hinduism acknowledge his existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talk_ape)
    transformers??

love it
    yeh me too. Cant wait till Revenge of the fallen.

ReputationRep:
    did galileo exist? did herod antipas exist for the same matter a human being did exist, or why the **** would they count time from/around his birthday

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.