89.29%
    No
    7.14%
    Can't say
    3.57%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nes)
    hey bob.
    which case study he will be doing depends upon which curriculam he chose when he registered for the exams, if he took the old 2000 curriculam, he will be doing tesco, whereas if he took the new 2008 curriculam, he will get another case study. the details are all there in www.edexcel.org.
    Thanks, that's very helpful information and should provide me with an idea how to proceed. He and his parents haven't been very impressed with the standard of teaching at his school, so I am helping to fill in the gaps and make sure he understands the fundamentals.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Roberts, If your friends son has enrolled for A'level in September 2008, he will not be doing Tesco Plc case. Instead he will be doing A'level under Specification 2008. For the new specification there is no Pre-seen case.

ReputationRep:
    Those who are writing AS exam under Specification 2008, will have two units. Unit 1-Developing Business Ideas and Unit 2a- Managing the Business. I will soon post my notes on the new specification.

ReputationRep:
    Hey strai8 can you post some Unit-2 notes? preferrably the ones with the marketing mix?

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys!
    can somone please help me with Some exam material for unit 2 and 3 please
    please send the material to [email protected]

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hi guys! im doing unit 2 and 3 june 2009 tesco plc case study edexcel! has anyone got any notes please on the nature and role of marketing especially marketing objectives or anything at all. it would be a great help thanks!

ReputationRep:
    hello why dont we start Question and Answers for unit 2 and 3 n did anyone else identify questions apart from the one that arabianleo posted...

the product range of tesco plc are food,non food, finance and telecommunication am i right?

ReputationRep:
    Mindmap on Non-financial Rewards
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Non_Financial_Rewards.pdf (290.2 KB, 143 views)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Strai8!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aayman_farzand)
    Thanks Strai8!
    wc aayman.

ReputationRep:
    heyy!!! so im doing unit 1+2+3... im redoing all my AS units and i DESPERATLY NEED HELP!!! im gonna look thru the forum when i wake up tomorro.. but any help wuld be goood!!
    thanks..

ReputationRep:
    Here is Unit 2 Production Notes. Attached

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strai8)
    Here is Unit 2 Production Notes. Attached
    :confused: i don't see the attachment.. >.<

thnx for all ur notes so far! they've been a great help

ReputationRep:
    is there anyone who has identified some good questions for unit 2 n 3?

ReputationRep:
    1. Define capital expenditure.

2. Analyse the extent to which market research will help them before opening up a branch in the global market.

3. Asses the extent to which "loyalty card scheme" could be successful for a firm like tesco.

4. Analyse the benefits and drawbacks of Tesco using community initiative as a means of promotion.

5. Evaluate the importance of social responsibility to a firm like Tesco.

6. Assess how tesco plc would set its marketing objectives in order to reach its goal of growth and development.

7. Assess the implications to suppliers of tesco for supplying goods for sale under the Tesco's own brand name.

8. Evaluate the possible effects on Tesco plc of operating a just in time stock control system.

9. Assess the importance of strong brand identity for Tesco.

10."Tesco plc also sells the branded products of other businesses such as hallmark cards Cadbury’s chocolates Heinz baked beans etc.." evaluate the extent to which this will effect the sales of products of tesco's own brand name.

11. Assess the likely benefits or drawbacks for a firm like tesco plc of "treating their suppliers in fair, honest and responsible way."

12. Decide upon the type of sampling that will be useful for tesco if they were to target the "cash rich time poor" segment of the population.

13. Analyse the way with which Tesco plc can set their marketing mix to remain the market leader.

14. Analyse the benefits of tesco plc of being the market leader in the UK grocery market.

15-analyse the extant to which market research will help tesco to increase their market share for the "non food" services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nes)
    1. Define capital expenditure.

2. Analyse the extent to which market research will help them before opening up a branch in the global market.

3. Asses the extent to which "loyalty card scheme" could be successful for a firm like tesco.

4. Analyse the benefits and drawbacks of Tesco using community initiative as a means of promotion.

5. Evaluate the importance of social responsibility to a firm like Tesco.

6. Assess how tesco plc would set its marketing objectives in order to reach its goal of growth and development.

7. Assess the implications to suppliers of tesco for supplying goods for sale under the Tesco's own brand name.

8. Evaluate the possible effects on Tesco plc of operating a just in time stock control system.

9. Assess the importance of strong brand identity for Tesco.

10."Tesco plc also sells the branded products of other businesses such as hallmark cards Cadbury’s chocolates Heinz baked beans etc.." evaluate the extent to which this will effect the sales of products of tesco's own brand name.

11. Assess the likely benefits or drawbacks for a firm like tesco plc of "treating their suppliers in fair, honest and responsible way."

12. Decide upon the type of sampling that will be useful for tesco if they were to target the "cash rich time poor" segment of the population.

13. Analyse the way with which Tesco plc can set their marketing mix to remain the market leader.

14. Analyse the benefits of tesco plc of being the market leader in the UK grocery market.

15-analyse the extant to which market research will help tesco to increase their market share for the "non food" services.
    Thnx Nes

ReputationRep:
    NES could u mark the questions?

ReputationRep:
    nope...um not thaaaat good..heheh..but we could do what we did for unit one and four.,, we could each take some questions answer them and post them up....

ReputationRep:
    hi guys
    i will be apearing in all the 5 papers, 1,2,3,4,6 this time and i know its very tough but i have no other option left :P

anyway, i have answered a question please read below and give me any suggestions and improvements that i need to add up.......thanxxxxxx

Q: Analyse the extent to which market research will help Tesco PLC, before opening a new branch in the global world?

Market research is all about gathering consumer needs and wants, information about the moving of goods and services in the market and finding out the consumer views and suggestions about a particular thing that is aimed at them.
    Tesco PLC exists in a market full of hungry rivals and competitors. In order to grow or launch any new store, it has to conduct a mix of marketing research to be able to make right decision about its new location, keeping in mind the competitors in the surrounding.
    For Tesco PLC to be sure about its new location, it must first carry out a survey in the location which it has aimed to target i.e. it must collect primary data before any analysis or decision about the launch could take place. Tesco PLC must find different ways in which field research could be carried out, different questionnaires and sampling methods would also help in this matter.
    The benefits of these research methods would help Tesco PLC in a number of ways,data collected through primary research will help reduce or minimize any risks of failure, it can help provide a link with people who have been interviewed and will help create awareness among the people about the launch of the new stores, this can further help and add up to the image of Tesco PLC and may earn customer loyalty even before the launch of the new stores.
    Apart from many advantages that Tesco PLC can enjoy, there is a possibility that data collected through market research is maleficent and the outcome of which could be opposite to that is predicted, this reason to this would be inadequate and inefficient marketing research.
    Nevertheless, it would be worth advantageous for Tesco PLC to carry out an effective marketing research and minimize all the risks of failures and clear its doubts or any misconceptions about the particular area being targeted. In this way Tesco PLC can be sure and confident about its launch into the new market.

this is the second qestion i attempted for paper 2 :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z for all)
    hi guys
    i will be apearing in all the 5 papers, 1,2,3,4,6 this time and i know its very tough but i have no other option left :P

anyway, i have answered a question please read below and give me any suggestions and improvements that i need to add up.......thanxxxxxx

Q: Analyse the extent to which market research will help Tesco PLC, before opening a new branch in the global world?

Market research is all about gathering consumer needs and wants, information about the moving of goods and services in the market and finding out the consumer views and suggestions about a particular thing that is aimed at them.
    Tesco PLC exists in a market full of hungry rivals and competitors. In order to grow or launch any new store, it has to conduct a mix of marketing research to be able to make right decision about its new location, keeping in mind the competitors in the surrounding.
    For Tesco PLC to be sure about its new location, it must first carry out a survey in the location which it has aimed to target i.e. it must collect primary data before any analysis or decision about the launch could take place. Tesco PLC must find different ways in which field research could be carried out, different questionnaires and sampling methods would also help in this matter.
    The benefits of these research methods would help Tesco PLC in a number of ways,data collected through primary research will help reduce or minimize any risks of failure, it can help provide a link with people who have been interviewed and will help create awareness among the people about the launch of the new stores, this can further help and add up to the image of Tesco PLC and may earn customer loyalty even before the launch of the new stores.
    Apart from many advantages that Tesco PLC can enjoy, there is a possibility that data collected through market research is maleficent and the outcome of which could be opposite to that is predicted, this reason to this would be inadequate and inefficient marketing research.
    Nevertheless, it would be worth advantageous for Tesco PLC to carry out an effective marketing research and minimize all the risks of failures and clear its doubts or any misconceptions about the particular area being targeted. In this way Tesco PLC can be sure and confident about its launch into the new market.

this is the second qestion i attempted for paper 2 :P

hey there....i just wrote the same answer skipping level one and two.

MY ANSWER STARTS STRAIGHT AWAY FROM LEVEL 3

when opening up in a new locatin,it is very important for tesco plc to eb able to weigh the chances of success in the new market, and for that they will need to know the exact needs and demands of the consumers from that region. this is best done through market research, which, if carried out, will also help them create certain amount of awareness amongst the consumers of that region about tesco. in addition to that, with the help of a proper market research they willl also be able to know about the existing groceries stores in that region and decide before hand, the level of competition they may face if they were to open their own stores. once this is done, and they have made thier decision to go on with the plan, they will need ot be able to find out the best location for their stores, wich again will be based on certain market research.,
    however, inorder to ensure the accuracy of the information they gather, tesco will have to employ efficient and trained employees to carry out the research, this could be both difficult and expenisve.Furthermore the usual unpredictive nature of the customers will mean that this market research will have to be carried out at a continuous basis, or they might find themselves in difficuilty when they finally finish their store projects and then realise that the market demand have changed.this further adds up to the expenses. however even then facts remain that the infomation gathered have chanceS of being bias and there fore, could be quite risky to base that big a decision upon.

considering all facts, tesco plc would probably do better with a market research before deciding upon wheter or not to open up in a new location, as even if its an expensive process, being the current market leader, tesco may have enough available fund to invest for such purposes. besides, if the venture were to be a succes the return they get may be even more. also, any knowledge they have about the new market they decide to enter will keep them in a better and more confident position then being totally clueless, and therefore minise the risk of failure to certain extent.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2010

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.