Eton college has closed because of swine flu! Watch

aeiou81
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by jy9626)
Yes, that's it.
So Eton kids must have worked hard to get into Eton, which provides an excellent education and sends most of their students to Oxbridge and other top universities.
Getting into schools that give such education is always hard, due to the competitiveness.
No, they must have worked OKishly having got into Eton.

Yes, due to the competitiveness, but not academic competition. Financial competition.
ArcadiaHouse
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
For an atheist you sure know your bible. Were you a christian? (I was since from when I was born, but then I decided to think for myself, now I'm agnostic )
I was baptised. I'm meant to be Catholic. :o: But as Oscar Wilde said, "I intend to die a Catholic, though I could never live as one."
n0c0ntr0l
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
I was baptised. I'm meant to be Catholic. :o: But as Oscar Wilde said, "I intend to die a Catholic, though I could never live as one."
Wow, you are almost exactly like me. Only difference was I was protestant. Still baptised, still no intention of living as a christian till death is close (though always lurking). But my mother said that once a christian always one (what a good insurance policy)
pink_princess89
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
The inverted snobbery of some people is repulsive. It smacks of envy and insecurity. If someone was rejoicing about a comprehensive being shut saying all those chavs do is collect asbos and hot wire cars they would be condemned (rightly so). This obsession in this country with censuring the priveleged or intelligent rather than inspiring to better your own circumstances is shameful. I went to state school and I'm ashamed to be associated with people who seem to be riddled with class prejudice. Going to public school, being middle-class, speaking nicely etc does not make you infinitely better than others nor does it make you any worse. Grow up!
ArcadiaHouse
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
Wow, you are almost exactly like me. Only difference was I was protestant. Still baptised, still no intention of living as a christian till death is close (though always lurking). But my mother said that once a christian always one (what a good insurance policy)
See, my parents would go mad if they knew that I believed there was no God. And our family was originally Irish so you can imagine. :p: But it'd be pretty gutting to go through your life saying "There is no God" only to have your ass sent to hell for eternity by the Big Man when you die, if there is one. *sigh*

Anyway, I think Eton College should man up, just like all the other closed schools. :p:
n0c0ntr0l
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
See, my parents would go mad if they knew that I believed there was no God. And our family was originally Irish so you can imagine. :p: But it'd be pretty gutting to go through your life saying "There is no God" only to have your ass sent to hell for eternity by the Big Man when you die, if there is one. *sigh*

Anyway, I think Eton College should man up, just like all the other closed schools. :p:
Same, I would be outcasted. They do suspect though.
Oh and Eton don't know the definition of man up. They prove it on the rugby fields time and time again.
Crimsonchilli
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by aeiou81)
No, they must have worked OKishly having got into Eton.

Yes, due to the competitiveness, but not academic competition. Financial competition.
eugh shut up with pretending you know what your talking about.
You still have to be extremely talented to get into Eton, ESPECIALLY for sixth form. I applied for Harrow (similar to Eton) and was willing to pay, but got rejected (waiting list) because my grades were not good enough, even though im predicted 6A*'s 2A's and a B at GCSE.

And yeah, no ****, obviously money is also a big factor. How the hell is someone on minimum wage going to afford a £28,000 a year school ?
The answer to that is they cant, unless they are extremely TALENTED and get offered a bursary.
fubsadoo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by pink_princess89)
The inverted snobbery of some people is repulsive. It smacks of envy and insecurity. If someone was rejoicing about a comprehensive being shut saying all those chavs do is collect asbos and hot wire cars they would be condemned (rightly so). This obsession in this country with censuring the priveleged or intelligent rather than inspiring to better your own circumstances is shameful. I went to state school and I'm ashamed to be associated with people who seem to be riddled with class prejudice. Going to public school, being middle-class, speaking nicely etc does not make you infinitely better than others nor does it make you any worse. Grow up!
This.
Nora-FNE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I LOLed at this when I heard it on the radio!

It is HILARIOUS!

:rofl: :rofl:
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by pink_princess89)
/agree
Completely true - ragging on people better off than yourself is no better than ragging on those who are worse off.
*Lola_Stars*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
I don't find it particuarly hilarious still quite shocking though!

For someone who said that they couldn't stand TSR a few weeks ago, you certainly appear to like it now lol :p:
:p:

I realised that Chat and GD is where it's at!

(Spent too much time on H&R before!)

:yep:
aeiou81
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Crimsonchilli)
eugh shut up with pretending you know what your talking about.
You still have to be extremely talented to get into Eton, ESPECIALLY for sixth form. I applied for Harrow (similar to Eton) and was willing to pay, but got rejected (waiting list) because my grades were not good enough, even though im predicted 6A*'s 2A's and a B at GCSE.

And yeah, no ****, obviously money is also a big factor. How the hell is someone on minimum wage going to afford a £28,000 a year school ?
The answer to that is they cant, unless they are extremely TALENTED and get offered a bursary.
The entrance procedure for Eton:
At 11, sit a reasoning test (if reasoning tests are anything to go by, this won't be that challenging), have an interview and send your report. +deposit.
At 13, sit the Common Entrance Exam - having looked at the syllabus for a range of subjects for this, it's nothing special. Instead of an intelligence exam, it tests on content and students can be tutored easily. Also, Eton is allowed to set its own pass mark and admit students to its discretion. +money to secure place

If you want a bursary, yes you have to be very talented to go there because they won't want to pay the fees of someone who won't do well for the school. But most people don't get bursaries.

Finally, look at Prince Harry: took A-Levels in art, history of art and georgaphy - left with a B in art and a D in geography and dropped history of art. Plus there's this. Talented? I think not.
Crimsonchilli
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
At 11, sit a reasoning test (if reasoning tests are anything to go by, this won't be that challenging), have an interview and send your report. +deposit.
At 13, sit the Common Entrance Exam - having looked at the syllabus for a range of subjects for this, it's nothing special. Instead of an intelligence exam, it tests on content and students can be tutored easily. Also, Eton is allowed to set its own pass mark and admit students to its discretion. +money to secure place

If you want a bursary, yes you have to be very talented to go there because they won't want to pay the fees of someone who won't do well for the school. But most people don't get bursaries.

Finally, look at Prince Harry: took A-Levels in maths, art history, biology and geography - left with a B in art history and a D in geography. Talented? I think not.
the entrance requirements for Oxbridge are AAA, but that far from guarantees you a place. Same here.

And as for prince harry, well i think its kind of obvious, hes PRINCE harry for godsake. He could get in anywhere he wants. Im not saying i agree with it, but do you honestly think anywhere would be like, oh no, prince harry only got B's, where not going to have him.
aeiou81
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Crimsonchilli)
the entrance requirements for Oxbridge are AAA, but that far from guarantees you a place. Same here.

And as for prince harry, well i think its kind of obvious, hes PRINCE harry for godsake. He could get in anywhere he wants. Im not saying i agree with it, but do you honestly think anywhere would be like, oh no, prince harry only got B's, where not going to have him.
This is what I oppose! I'm perfectly happy for people to privately educate their children; I just hate the way people think throwing money at things is the right way to go, when there are talented people out there (not only academics - also sportspeople, artists, entrepreneurs etc) who get displaced because they haven't got the multimillion pounds, the title and the estate-the-size-of-a-county.

As for the thread, I am laughing at Eton (as I posted earlier) but not because I hate them but because for all the money that school has, it's still not immune :woo:
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
lolz its funny because rich people deserve bad things to happen to them!

Grow up, people.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lachlan)
Why is it funny?
Because vast swathes of TSR are jealous, vindictive, cretinous toe-rags who could undergo a lobotomy for increased cranial storage at no noticeable cost to their cognitive ability.
LurkerintheDark
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I find the fact that parents can essentially buy their kids a place in a good university by sending them to a private school repulsive; the rich will always dominate the upper spheres of society because they can afford the best for their kids. The fact that students from working-class families are so scarce in a place like Oxford University demonstrates this. The reason people in Britain are so class-conscious is because the numerous gulfs seperating the classes are still well and truly in place, and, I happen to think, are much more marked than in other countries. The whole culture of private education, the fact that a child's father's bank-ballance often governs whether the child will be successful or not is a tragedy.
n0c0ntr0l
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Finally, look at Prince Harry: took A-Levels in art, history of art and georgaphy - left with a B in art and a D in geography and dropped history of art. Plus there's this. Talented? I think not.
Actually that reasoned test is hard than you think. I still remember it like it was yesterday. It was fairly abstract (actually REALLY abstract). Common entrance was easy, just revise really, kinda like a younger version of GCSE.
02sd2607
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I apologies for my distasteful joke!
emerset
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
I'm sure they'll get over it. Do you consider yourself as superior because you use words such as palpaple?
What is it with envious underling snobbery and the hatred for the eloquence of language? Do you actually prefer the vulgar? Would you demonize art? Do you truly prefer the desecration of perfection?
By the gods.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (163)
39%
No - but I will (22)
5.26%
No - I don't want to (31)
7.42%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed