Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't really follow politics, but I live in manchester, does that mean the BNP got the majority of votes where I live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paxdax)
    9/10 of Third-World immigrants are unskilled...
    97.431820958111% of statistics are made up on the spot.

34.12234589534234523% of those are statistics made up by people seeking to prove a point

(Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    Loving how you don't respond to the rest of my post .
    Because it was pretty regular anti-immigration shiz and I thought I'd ignore it. But hey whatever I'll spare a few minutes before I go.

It isn't our duty to give it to them- the asylum law states they go to the nearest safe country, not the one which will give them the best freebies. We should only really be taking asylum seekers from Ireland and France,
    It's our duty to protect every human being on the planet and to offer them protection. It's not an asylum law but it's a pretty base moral. They want to come to our country because they want a stable and good future for themselves and their children, not because they are evil moneygrabbing devils.

and whilst we have pensioners in our own country receiving aid from Iceland dying from the cold each winter, and wounded British soldiers lying in hospital beds having to pay for their own television,
    Typical nationalist rhetoric, that's what I was ignoring.

it is disgusting to even think of giving out a place in this tiny island to any illegal immigrant. Britain is small and pushed for resources, and is full.
    How do you mean pushed for resources? We have a GDP of $2.631 trillion, a 99.9% literacy rate, no major plagues ravaging our people...

How do you mean full? Are we having to jostle for room to stop ourselves from falling off the White Cliffs of Dover? Are we overcome by new born children? No. (For the latter, quite the opposite)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    But if the country was an ex-colony then it would have something to do with you..
    Why? If they're now independent, they look after themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Let Nick say what he wants.

Immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa live in desperate poverty. Them, their families and villages spend years putting together a pile of cash to pay for an awful boat that is likely to sink in the passage across the mediterranean. Why sink the boats of people who are already desperate?

Though this country needs to pull out of the EU so it can make its own decision whether or not to house immigrants. Immigration cannot be halted. As long as people arrive to work hard, support themselves and don't shy away from integrating then they should be welcome. The EU puts immigration out of Britain's control.

Nick Griffin is being taken far too seriously. He appears in the news for the entertainment. Every country has minor unions of fascists and effectively that's all the BNP is.

How can you take someone like this seriously? He believes in measures to stop immigration but he believes in cutting foreign aid. Without foreign aid, what does that leave third world people with? The incentive to immigrate grows. Griffin's policy is appallingly thought through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgecopter)

34.12234589534234523% of those are statistics made up by people seeking to prove a point
    Yes, obviously they're all rocket scientists. Silly me:rolleyes: .

"Hvilshøj also said that high unemployment rates and low education levels remained the biggest problem facing immigrants in Denmark. Only 46% of immigrants from third-world countries were employed, compared to 73% of Danes, and 60% of young immigrants dropped out of high school. Hvilshøj said that Denmark's current economic boom and low unemployment was the time for immigrants to seize the labour market."

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/547

And no, Denmark isn't all that different from the UK, or Western Europe in general.

ReputationRep:
    So we (a country by your own admission pushed for resources) should pay large sums of money to millions of our own skilled residents for them to leave?

Cool policy bro :ahee:

I can't wait for that, not only would we have bankrupted ourselves by sending all the brown people back home but we'll soon run out of people!
    How would getting rid of ethnic minorities make us run out of people? :confused:

Also, why couldn't white people do the skilled jobs? Not supporting the BNP or anything, but you're implying that immigrants do all the skilled labour, when I'm pretty sure that's not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    How would getting rid of ethnic minorities make us run out of people? :confused:

Also, why couldn't white people do the skilled jobs? Not supporting the BNP or anything, but you're implying that immigrants do all the skilled labour, when I'm pretty sure that's not true.
    Now you're being racist.

ReputationRep:
    Now you're being racist.
    How? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    How? :confused:
    It's a joke, lol. :p:

ReputationRep:

Above : A liberal way of ignoring facts and the truth.

It's our duty to protect every human being on the planet and to offer them protection. It's not an asylum law but it's a pretty base moral. They want to come to our country because they want a stable and good future for themselves and their children, not because they are evil moneygrabbing devils.
    No,that is not our duty. It is our duty to look after our own people. We are under no legal obligation to do so, and to put every member of the world on equal footing to your own people is morally bankrupt.

Typical nationalist rhetoric, that's what I was ignoring.
    It is nationalist rhetoric. The idea of being a nationalist is that you see the nation as an extended family- my apologies for caring about my nation ahead of third world invaders.

How do you mean pushed for resources? We have a GDP of $2.631 trillion, a 99.9% literacy rate, no major plagues ravaging our people...

How do you mean full? Are we having to jostle for room to stop ourselves from falling off the White Cliffs of Dover? Are we overcome by new born children? No. (For the latter, quite the opposite)
    It is fairly obvious to anyone that Britain is full, especially when you consider the size of immigrant descended families along with the immigrants themselves.

ReputationRep:
    What a nice person. :rolleye:

ReputationRep:
    It is fairly obvious to anyone that Britain is full, especially when you consider the size of immigrant descended families along with the immigrants themselves.
    Full? Not really...
    There are 50 countries that are more packed than Britain is...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_density

ReputationRep:
    It's a joke, lol. :p:
    Oh, okay

Sorry for being dense, but I was getting paranoid that people would brand me as a BNP supporter (as it seems to pretty much be the most commonly used insult on tsr)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Full? Not really...
    Of a list of 238, that says very little.

Also, you need to consider the families of immigrants arriving, which leads to massive future growth.

(Original post by bigmo7)
    Full? Not really...
    There's also plenty of wealthy people in Britain who own two, three or more homes in this country, some of them only used for holiday purposes.

ReputationRep:
    It is nationalist rhetoric. The idea of being a nationalist is that you see the nation as an extended family- my apologies for caring about my nation ahead of third world invaders.
    Why just your nation though? That's the root of the issue. Why do you feel compelled to care more for people who live on the same bit of map as you?

Countries are just lines on a map. Sure, they serve as a good way of categorizing people and managing people, but should not be extended past that. The fact they are fellow human beings and have the same wants and needs and emotions as yourself should matter more than simple names. The fact other human beings in other parts of the world are seeking shelter and asylum on this piece of land shouldn't cause you anger or fear, but pity and empathy.

You say we should look after our own people. I agree entirely. It's just your definition of 'own people' is much too small.

ReputationRep:
    Why just your nation though? That's the root of the issue. Why do you feel compelled to care more for people who live on the same bit of map as you?

Countries are just lines on a map. Sure, they serve as a good way of categorizing people and managing people, but should not be extended past that. The fact they are fellow human beings and have the same wants and needs and emotions as yourself should matter more than simple names. The fact other human beings in other parts of the world are seeking shelter and asylum on this piece of land shouldn't cause you anger or fear, but pity and empathy.

You say we should look after our own people. I agree entirely. It's just your definition of 'own people' is much too small.
    :rolleyes:. The people within this country descend from the ancestry of those who fought,died and built the land upon which we live. Their sacrifice and work allows us the freedoms and relative luxury we enjoy today, and that gives me a personal feeling of pride when thinking about Britain, and a relationship of empathy with those within the country now- they are my extended family. Most good acts of all great nations were done so with patriotism and your own interests in mind, and it is the caring for one's own people which distinguishes governments from those with their nation's interest at heart to puppets under the name of globalisation. Any leader who claims to care equally about the conditions of all in the world is not fit to call himself the ruler of a country- the very point of such a position is that you are defending and speaking for the interests of those you represent. Obviously, in your ideal multi-ethnic,globalised mess this wouldn't be the case, but I would like to think a caring for your own people is still the priority for mainstream politicians, although this obviously isn't the case.

What you are saying has very serious implications, because when you mix the third world with the first world too much, what you are left with is a second world.

ReputationRep:
    What you are saying has very serious implications, because when you mix the third world with the first world too much, what you are left with is a second world.
    This is unfortunately very true.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:. The people within this country descend from the ancestry of those who fought,died and built the land upon which we live. Their sacrifice and work allows us the freedoms and relative luxury we enjoy today, and that gives me a personal feeling of pride when thinking about Britain, and a relationship of empathy with those within the country now- they are my extended family. Most good acts of all great nations were done so with patriotism and your own interests in mind, and it is the caring for one's own people which distinguishes governments from those with their nation's interest at heart to puppets under the name of globalisation.
    Why does it give you a feeling of pride for Britain only? Many French people fought for what they believed in during the 100 Years War, many Americans fought bravely during their Revolutionary War and many Germans fought bravely in the second world war. Why can't I feel pride for them? Why does the additional tagline of 'British' on things make them any more worthy of my pride? Why are only Britons in your extended family?

Any leader who claims to care equally about the conditions of all in the world is not fit to call himself the ruler of a country- the very point of such a position is that you are defending and speaking for the interests of those you represent. Obviously, in your ideal multi-ethnic,globalised mess this wouldn't be the case, but I would like to think a caring for your own people is still the priority for mainstream politicians, although this obviously isn't the case.
    Why would it be a mess?
    Anyway, again, your 'own people' statement is too small. A leader who cares equally for everyone would be a perfect leader! They would be able to combat injustice in their country and combat injustice in all other places. That is what we all strive for isn't it? Social and economic justice for all?

Or we haul them out of the pit they're in and establish them on our level, as equals. When someone is stuck down a well you don't go down the well with them, you lower a rope and bring them up to your level.

ReputationRep:
    Why? If they're now independent, they look after themselves.
    I agree, although i hate nick griffin and the bnp, we need to stop acting as a free handout country for these illegals!. If asylum law states they should move to the next safest country then why not spain, france, italy etc who are far closer to them then we are. Reason being that no one else gives them free **** and lets them and their ever growing families sponge off their hard working citizens. Although i dont agree with 'sinking' their ships lol i believe we need tougher policing of the seas such as how we deal with pirates. This goverment is a joke and the more we allow 'illegal' immigrants to sponge in this country the worse it becomes and the more attractive it becomes to them such as the discgusting situation in cali with more illegals from afganistan trying to get in to our once great nation.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.