Honda Lovers? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    rpm is how quickly you hit the wall,
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you :laugh:

Bhp is simply

Torque x Rpm

or at least I think its 5252 if my memory doesnt fail (which it often does). BHP unlike torque isnt something *real*, but a calculated figure; much like a statistic or ratio. Rolling Roads put simply test the torque being put out by a car at a given rpm and the bhp is calculated from there. Invariably one figure can alter the other, but it's why low reving but very high torque engines can have a low bhp figure and vice versa. That said there are a ton of problems in regards to measuring bhp at the wheels..
    Thanks Jaw that was a great explanation. Do you know roughly how much bhp a car loses as it gets older? Lots of people say a 5-10 year old would have lost 20-30 bhp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo Con)
    Thanks Jaw that was a great explanation. Do you know roughly how much bhp a car loses as it gets older? Lots of people say a 5-10 year old would have lost 20-30 bhp?
    It's sorta ''how long's a peice of string..'' you cant really put a figure on it, a car that has been maintained when absolutely necesary and is running 10 year old oil will loose much more than a car that's been maticulously looked after and serviced by the book and then some (not to state the obvious or anything)

My supra was showing 330 bhp when the previous owner had it tested in 2006, (it had a whole folder full of history) and that was before any mods as far as I could tell, on a car that supposedly has 328bhp standard, and that car was what, 12 years old at that point? my freind had his modified calibra rolling roaded when he got it remapped, and he was barely breaking the standard figure :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    It's sorta ''how long's a peice of string..'' you cant really put a figure on it, a car that has been maintained when absolutely necesary and is running 10 year old oil will loose much more than a car that's been maticulously looked after and serviced by the book and then some (not to state the obvious or anything)

My supra was showing 330 bhp when the previous owner had it tested in 2006, (it had a whole folder full of history) and that was before any mods as far as I could tell, on a car that supposedly has 328bhp standard, and that car was what, 12 years old at that point? my freind had his modified calibra rolling roaded when he got it remapped, and he was barely breaking the standard figure :laugh:
    I know. I asked because a friend had his vti tested and it showed it was giving out 171 bhp when 166 was the standard one. Pretty good going as it's 11 years old.

On a side note, the Rover 200 coupe sold much better than the calibra at the time I think. I couldn't make up my mind which one I liked most at the time. I think the calibra looked more aggressive as a sports car.

ReputationRep:
    I know. I asked because a friend had his vti tested and it showed it was giving out 171 bhp when 166 was the standard one. Pretty good going as it's 11 years old.

On a side note, the Rover 200 coupe sold much better than the calibra at the time I think. I couldn't make up my mind which one I liked most at the time. I think the calibra looked more aggressive as a sports car.

Cailbra's are hella aggressive looking , especially the front. There's one on my road aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry buddy been away a couple of days, just saw this post! Yes! My civic gives out 170 bhp but economy is great! That's the beauty, great power and great returns.

Yeah it's made a huge difference to your car man. Looks very personlised. I wanted to buy a few things but holding back due to not wanting insurance to go up if i modify. What I may do in awhile:

1) Front mesh grill saying Mugen or Honda badge

2)Lowered Koni Springs about 35mm no more

3)K and N Air filter

4)Xenon headlights

5)Wolfrace loys

6)Light smoke tints all around, otherwise on a 5 door having the rear windows just with limo black don't look good
    I got the K&N Air Filter, but pretty much everything else on your list is on mine!!!! LOL

I need to lower it after I put the 17", it looks jacked up a bit, and will definitely look better lowered!

I tried tinting it on my own. The legal limit here is to allow 35% light to enter, but I'm going to go for darker to allow 20%. Anyway, doing it on my own wasn't successful at all, so I decided to wait and just get it done by someone who knows what they are doing so the tint will last!

I really wanna start with some engine upgrades.....all I can think about for the far FUTURE, is getting a turbo! I want that blow-off valve sound when you shift gears!! LOL, but for almost 1000 bucks, I don't think I'm going to get anywhere near a turbo for my car anytime soon!

What other things do people modify in their engines to get more bhp??

ReputationRep:
    From my limited knowledge, I see Torque as the pulling power and acceleration whereas bhp is what you get at the end. But once you are at that end the car is quick right?

Yes my civic might not deliver smooth power low down, but that's actually the attraction. Good economy low down and great power at top end at a ridiculously high rpm.
    thats not correct. torque is a static measure, literally how strong the engine is. the stronger the engine, the more torque it has. with regards to capacity, the bigger the engine, the more total cylinder pressure will be applied to the crank, therefore giving more torque. as JC puts it, 'theres no replacement for displacement'.

power is what happens when you apply that strength in some way, if you apply it many many times a second, you will gets lots of work done, hence more power. if you apply it only a few times a second, you will get less power.

the reason why VTEC engines have a disproportional high power figure is because they are set to produce high cylinder pressures when the engine is applying its torque many times a second (high revs).

now, saying that, the reason why the majority of those 'in the know' dont like VTEC engines is because they are naturally weak engines, they dont produce the torque that a bigger capacity engine would. especially when said engine has more cylinders, making it far more balanced and desirable. this means using the engine to pull a car or to pull from the off such as overtaking is painful unless you are high in the rev range which is just a nightmare for a road car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mankoosho)
    I got the K&N Air Filter, but pretty much everything else on your list is on mine!!!! LOL

I need to lower it after I put the 17", it looks jacked up a bit, and will definitely look better lowered!

I tried tinting it on my own. The legal limit here is to allow 35% light to enter, but I'm going to go for darker to allow 20%. Anyway, doing it on my own wasn't successful at all, so I decided to wait and just get it done by someone who knows what they are doing so the tint will last!

I really wanna start with some engine upgrades.....all I can think about for the far FUTURE, is getting a turbo! I want that blow-off valve sound when you shift gears!! LOL, but for almost 1000 bucks, I don't think I'm going to get anywhere near a turbo for my car anytime soon!

What other things do people modify in their engines to get more bhp??
    Your car will look all the better if you drop it a little more. Yeah best to get someone who knows what they are doing for tints, otherwise it willl look cheap. It looks like a proper head turner now, so I can see why you're thinking of performance mods now.

Engine mods, as you know don't come cheap. Some people have used ebay turbo kits lol but I wouldn't recommend them. Have a long think about it, the price puts alot of people of. One guy I know put a supercharger in, the civic went from 170bhp to 250bhp, must have been expensive as **** tho haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    Cailbra's are hella aggressive looking , especially the front. There's one on my road aswell.
    I know! It has the looks, that's the first thing that matters.

ReputationRep:
    From my limited knowledge, I see Torque as the pulling power and acceleration whereas bhp is what you get at the end. But once you are at that end the car is quick right?

Yes my civic might not deliver smooth power low down, but that's actually the attraction. Good economy low down and great power at top end at a ridiculously high rpm.
    Why wouldn't you want decent power at all revs, instead of decent power only at very high revs? I had a Lotus Elise with a Toyota sourced 2ZZ-GE 1.8 liter engine that only made power from 6500-8300. It was frustrating as hell to keep it up there, especially if I wasn't out on the open road. And pulling two hours on the freeway with that 1.8-liter beehive turning 4500 to 5000 rpm gave me a migraine like you wouldn't believe. The gearing has to be short because undersized engines don't have the torque to carry a tall top gear.

Ugh, just thinking about that car droning on the highway makes me want to reach for an advil. Wonderful chassis, but until they drop in a better motor, I won't buy another.

ReputationRep:
    Your car will look all the better if you drop it a little more. Yeah best to get someone who knows what they are doing for tints, otherwise it willl look cheap. It looks like a proper head turner now, so I can see why you're thinking of performance mods now.

Engine mods, as you know don't come cheap. Some people have used ebay turbo kits lol but I wouldn't recommend them. Have a long think about it, the price puts alot of people of. One guy I know put a supercharger in, the civic went from 170bhp to 250bhp, must have been expensive as **** tho haha.
    Oh ya....no waay!! Ebay turbo kits?? Of course not....too much money to risk spending on ebay! Like I said, its gonna be a while....buts its on my "to-do-list", and so far I have been achieving one thing at a time :cool: LOL

Ill keep you updated....let me know how things go with your car

ReputationRep:
    Oh ya....no waay!! Ebay turbo kits?? Of course not....too much money to risk spending on ebay! Like I said, its gonna be a while....buts its on my "to-do-list", and so far I have been achieving one thing at a time :cool: LOL

Ill keep you updated....let me know how things go with your car
    definitely bro, will do

ReputationRep:
    Neo Con, what state are you from? There are a lot of rice boys in California, but judging by the name you've given yourself, I don't think you are from a place like san francisco....

ReputationRep:
    definitely bro, will do
    I wanted to ask everyone about headlights for my car. I like these....and thought they would look great:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

But a friend of mine was like these are better looking and would look better on my car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tab%3DWatching

What do you all think???

UPDATE: I FIXED THE SECOND LINK

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to ask everyone about headlights for my car. I like these....and thought they would look great:

But a friend of mine was like these are better looking and would look better on my car:

What do you all think???

second definately. I'm not a fan of chrome, makes them look cheap and I think they're horrible on silver cars..

ReputationRep:

What do you all think???

I like the 2nd one man, look alot better:yes:

ReputationRep:
    I like the 2nd one man, look alot better:yes:
    (Original post by jaw)
    second definitely. I'm not a fan of chrome, makes them look cheap and I think they're horrible on silver cars..
    Second one it is.....thanks!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 17, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.