Turn on thread page Beta

The Classics Society Mk II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sappho)
    Wow, TSR put stars into my text? I managed to use an indecent word speaking about Plato? I'm intrigued! :woo:
    Yes it does that, which can be ****ing annoying in itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lyceum)
    Yes it does that, which can be ****ing annoying in itself.
    It wasn't even that terrible of a word. Although Catullus uses it

I conclude that happens to you often?

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't even that terrible of a word. Although Catullus uses it

I conclude that happens to you often?
    Yes, haha. Well...I got through lengthy periods completely calm and then there are times where I'm constantly irate. Now, for example, dealing with editing and refashioning some of my essays/part of my BA thesis I'm finding my temper short. Hence many more expletives than normal.

ReputationRep:
    :cry: I can't do all this reading in time. Please send classical time pausing machines. Not enough time before exams. Crapotastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemiliana)
    :cry: I can't do all this reading in time. Please send classical time pausing machines. Not enough time before exams. Crapotastic.
    Sure you can. Just stay positive and try to find some way to look on it as anything but a chore (even if it is -- which, obviously, it is!). If all else fails, just flick through the pages really quickly and you'll still probably take in a few words here and there that you can use in the exam.

I'd quite like a time pausing machine though. But I fear not quite for such honourable reasons.

ReputationRep:
    My life saver in times that I think I can't get reading done is the New Pauly.

edit: And the elder version of the RE, of course, but I know not everybody knows German and/or enjoys reading old-fashioned texts (says the classicist).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Sure you can. Just stay positive and try to find some way to look on it as anything but a chore (even if it is -- which, obviously, it is!). If all else fails, just flick through the pages really quickly and you'll still probably take in a few words here and there that you can use in the exam.

I'd quite like a time pausing machine though. But I fear not quite for such honourable reasons.
    I didn't attend all lectures, missed most seminars and barely ever read. I am ****ed.

And I read the last sentence in totally the wrong way.

ReputationRep:

Life is an honourable reason

ReputationRep:
    I didn't attend all lectures, missed most seminars and barely ever read. I am ****ed.

And I read the last sentence in totally the wrong way.
    Ah, well, yes. Just do what you can and hope for the best then I guess. Fingers crossed for you.

There was a right way? :cool:

Life is an honourable reason
    Ah so poetic, and so true. Nox longa, vita brevis.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, well, yes. Just do what you can and hope for the best then I guess. Fingers crossed for you.

There was a right way? :cool:
    To be honest... I'm not the biggest fan of my degree right now. Or anything.

Well, in a non-sexual manner is a good start.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest... I'm not the biggest fan of my degree right now. Or anything.

Well, in a non-sexual manner is a good start.
    Yeah, I'd kind of guessed that. (Well, the first part at least.) I don't know what to say, but hopefully things will work out. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I spent ages trying to find this group. I am 15 doing latin at gcse and i am planning to do it at a level and then classics at university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushrooms)
    I spent ages trying to find this group. I am 15 doing latin at gcse and i am planning to do it at a level and then classics at university
    Sounds good! I did Latin at GCSE (the old OCR syllabus) and really enjoyed it - got an A*. Hard work but it was worth it! Which universities are you looking at?

ReputationRep:
    I do the welsh assembly board so I get two gcse in latin language and latin literature I am aiming high (probably too high) so i was looking at oxbridge, st andrews, UCL, warwick and durham

ReputationRep:
    I do the welsh assembly board so I get two gcse in latin language and latin literature I am aiming high (probably too high) so i was looking at oxbridge, st andrews, UCL, warwick and durham
    That's interesting. I've never heard of doing Language and Literature as two separate subjects before - it sounds a good idea as you don't have to cram too much content into one qualification. With my GCSE we had to do the language paper (with translations and comprehensions), verse literature (Virgil) and prose literature (Druids and Tacitus), plus a 2000 word coursework essay on slavery.

ReputationRep:
    ouch you had a lot to do. Tbh i think it has got a lot easier we did some poems by Catullus (love him!) and at the moment we doing Tacitus (aggripina and nero) but I think we do virgil in year 12, and we don't get any coursework just a controlled assessment which is one 1000 word essay and a 500 word essay. When did you do your gcse?

ReputationRep:
    ouch you had a lot to do. Tbh i think it has got a lot easier we did some poems by Catullus (love him!) and at the moment we doing Tacitus (aggripina and nero) but I think we do virgil in year 12, and we don't get any coursework just a controlled assessment which is one 1000 word essay and a 500 word essay. When did you do your gcse?
    this is the same as the A2 set texts atm, lol :daydreaming: you probably have shorter extracts though

ReputationRep:
    I did mine in June 2010. Of course now you have the controlled assessment, as opposed to coursework you can take home and work on. You'll enjoy Virgil, we did Book VI of the Aeneid - amazing poetry! I would have liked to have taken AS level but my school didn't offer it!

ReputationRep:
    probably are my teacher does push us a lot though probably to try and get more people doing a level latin by saying we are already doing A2 stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cetacea)
    I did mine in June 2010. Of course now you have the controlled assessment, as opposed to coursework you can take home and work on. You'll enjoy Virgil, we did Book VI of the Aeneid - amazing poetry! I would have liked to have taken AS level but my school didn't offer it!
    I have the Aeneid, I got it for christmas , but it is in english (still hard to understand), so are you doing classics at university at the moment

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2016

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.