Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* watch

ReputationRep:
    doing mice of men and pride and prejudice <------- driving me crazy anyone got any tips

ReputationRep:
    How long will y'all spend planning your essays?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yazzieee)
    Anyone got any info on slim? Posted from TSR Mobile
    Off the top of my head: he's the conscience of the novel, Steinbeck's 'ideal man' perhaps, natural leader, understands nature (he drowns the weakest puppies so the others can survive), a good friend, can read people, respected, authoritative...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I've heard people talking about 3 poems that "won't come up" in previous years' threads. Is this just pure speculation or is there a way to find out what poems aren't going to feature?
    I'm doing the Character and Voice cluster by the way. Any advice about how to practice comparisons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    my teacher was talking about this
    I think they are the peoms which come up in the foundation paper
    they dont use them beacuse some of them are too easy:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    How long will y'all spend planning your essays?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No more than 5 minutes for each. I'm doing An Inspector Calls and Of Mice And Men and for OMAM I do not plan the answer, I annotate though and then just write the answer from that. Which texts are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    there's a good chance that slim,gorge and candy might come up cuz they havent come up in any of the pastpaper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sean Robinson)
    Hey guys, I've been prioritizing chemistry up until now and really want to do well in these literature exams, because I need as many A's as possible to get into the sixth form I want to get into. And I'm unprepared for this exam I'm doing Of Mice And Men and Kindertransport. Does anyone have any sort of advice on how to hit marks or like a guideline on how much I should write for each section?! Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone with their remaining exams!

(Original post by Hani Abukar)
    doing mice of men and pride and prejudice <------- driving me crazy anyone got any tips
    i have a lot of OMAM stuff here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post42653777

hope that helps

ryan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msxo)
    Thank you so much! But what can I say about "Long rectangular..." ??
    you can say how the description resembles a prison, and that might symbolize the cyclical nature of migrant life, how they're all trapped in an endless loop, hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    i have a lot of OMAM stuff here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post42653777

hope that helps

ryan
    You're a saint! I would rep but I'm all out today I'll get back at you tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    You're a saint! I would rep but I'm all out today I'll get back at you tomorrow
    np

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Any Lord of the Flies chums out there? :bl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sean Robinson)
    Hey guys, I've been prioritizing chemistry up until now and really want to do well in these literature exams, because I need as many A's as possible to get into the sixth form I want to get into. And I'm unprepared for this exam I'm doing Of Mice And Men and Kindertransport. Does anyone have any sort of advice on how to hit marks or like a guideline on how much I should write for each section?! Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone with their remaining exams!
    hey
    I think if you go onto aqa for example
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JAN12.PDF
    it shows you the bands at the begining , if you want an A/A* you should be aiming for band six and a high/ mid band five.

I was told not to write like more than 4 pages as it increases your chance of repititon , so aim for between 1 3/4 to 3 pages , its quality not quantity!

In of mice and men to hit marks you need to refer back to the era , and the many themes asscoiated with the great depression such as violence (shooting Lennie , the fight and shppting candy's dog), loneliness, dreams etc , also refer to steinbeck in your essay for example rather than say , ' the use of the word terrier' say ' stienbeck use of the noun terrier...' put some english vocabulary in your essay , mention the microchosm, examiners love that

look at websites like shmoop and enotes and get revising , they really help

i'm doing AIC not kindertransport , so good luck!
    (excuse my awful spelling)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennienarwin)
    The barn came up?:/ Wasn't it the bunkhouse?
    Yeah it was. I thought they were the same thing :/

What's the barn then?

ReputationRep:
    What are some of your interpretations that you would use when referring to Arthur Birling in An Inspector Calls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tatwriter)
    No more than 5 minutes for each. I'm doing An Inspector Calls and Of Mice And Men and for OMAM I do not plan the answer, I annotate though and then just write the answer from that. Which texts are you doing?
    Same as you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mallory)
    hey
    it shows you the bands at the begining , if you want an A/A* you should be aiming for band six and a high/ mid band five.

I was told not to write like more than 4 pages as it increases your chance of repititon , so aim for between 1 3/4 to 3 pages , its quality not quantity!

In of mice and men to hit marks you need to refer back to the era , and the many themes asscoiated with the great depression such as violence (shooting Lennie , the fight and shppting candy's dog), loneliness, dreams etc , also refer to steinbeck in your essay for example rather than say , ' the use of the word terrier' say ' stienbeck use of the noun terrier...' put some english vocabulary in your essay , mention the microchosm, examiners love that

How would you get too marks in AIC?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same as you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, Okay! Are you nervous? I'm bricking it over here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mallory)
    hey

What's the microchosm?! We haven't learnt that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same as you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How you feeling about OMAM?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.