Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't the log question boil down to this: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...5E2+%3D+c%2B5?

Won't that mean that there are two real values of a?
    Also, does anyone remember the equations in the highest degree question? I really messed that one up (I got 8 o.O)

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anyone remember the question with f(x), g(x), h(x) and their derivatives related? You know, the one for which you guys got h(2x) as the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, seems like I got 7/10 in Section A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by souktik)
    Hey, does anyone remember the question with f(x), g(x), h(x) and their derivatives related? You know, the one for which you guys got h(2x) as the answer.
    I recall it being something like f'(x) = g(x + 1), g'(x) = h(x - 1), find f''(2x). I got h(2x) too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye25)
    I recall it being something like f'(x) = g(x + 1), g'(x) = h(x - 1), find f''(2x). I got h(2x) too.
    I got 4h(2x).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savvy Sage)
    Perhaps I'm wrong :P
    yh i got 4 as well. sorry mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kapur)
    For the remainder q I got -n/2. Otherwise yea same answers. Did you solve the last part of q2?

The last part of q1 was integral of the greatest integer function of 2^X from 0 to n where n was a natural number
    I just did the last part of the multiple choice and didn't get d, so you were probably right! I got n*2^n - log to the base 2 of (2^n)! (again I may have made a mistake).

Do you remember the remainder question and what the options were??

I didn't get the last part of q2 : I made a mistake in the first part which meant I definitely got everything I did afterwards wrong, so unfortunately I'll probably get 0 on that question. It's a shame since I got 80s and 90s in past papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khallil)
    Just thought I'd drop in to say that your username is fantastic!
    thanks man. ditto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiopg)
    I just did the last part of the multiple choice and didn't get d, so you were probably right! I got n*2^n - log to the base 2 of (2^n)! (again I may have made a mistake).

Do you remember the remainder question and what the options were??

I didn't get the last part of q2 : I made a mistake in the first part which meant I definitely got everything I did afterwards wrong, so unfortunately I'll probably get 0 on that question. It's a shame since I got 80s and 90s in past papers
    sorry man i dont remember the q. but im certain the ans was -n/2 option d.

dw i had the same issue with q3. i wrote such nonsense for parts 2 and 4 luckily i could do all parts of q4 and q5 so that kinda saved me.

ReputationRep:
    Providing I got 28 in Section A, 15 in Q6, 8 on Q5, 3 on Q2 (...lol), 6 on Q3...that would give me 60...oh dear. Does anyone fancy having a go at the mark breakdown for each question?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone remember the equations that were a part of that highest power question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muchamazesowow)
    Does anyone remember the equations that were a part of that highest power question?
    Something about d/dx (2x+1)(some other expression with large power) or something plus d^2/dx^2(2x-1)(something), I think?...Not very helpful,I know...

Who actually put A) down for that question?

Also, what were people's answers to Q2? I just realised I screwed ALL of it up.
    EDIT: NVM. Seems like in part i) I didn't add it to the first equation. Would I even get a mark for the first line of working?...This keeps getting worse and worse.
    For Q3 I said that the two areas were equal because one of the graphs was a reflection in x=0 and y=0 having translated it by +2 in the x-axis? I said it must be a polynomial of degree of less than 4 because it has 3 distinct roots but obviously other functions with greater degrees can have this 3 distinct roots and repeated roots.
    28+1+...5+15+8...=57 not looking good...
    With a score like that, I know I have a minimal chance of getting an offer. -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiopg)
    Hi, for the multiple choice here is what I remember. Please tell me if you agree or not with my answers, I'd really like to know how I've done!

1) A does not equal 2.
    2) 4 + sinx
    3) h(2x)

for the question with the logs, I got 'unique value for a'

for the last question about the integral of 2^x, I got log to the base 2 of (2^n) ! (option d)

For f(1) + f(2) + f(3) + ... I got 28.

For the one with the area between the two integrals, I got something like pi/4 subtract something

I don't remember which letter then one with the graphs was, but it was 2 parabolas.

For the remainder one I got something like n/2 or (n+1)/2.

Finally, for the one with the highest degree, I got 7, although from others on here it seems like it should have been less than 7 :/
    I have the same as you on 8 of those, and the ones where I have something different were the ones I guessed. So that has to count for something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Something about d/dx (2x+1)(some other expression with large power) or something plus d^2/dx^2(2x-1)(something), I think?...Not very helpful,I know...

Who actually put A) down for that question?

Also, what were people's answers to Q2? I just realised I screwed ALL of it up.
    EDIT: NVM. Seems like in part i) I didn't add it to the first equation. Would I even get a mark for the first line of working?...This keeps getting worse and worse.
    For Q3 I said that the two areas were equal because one of the graphs was a reflection in x=0 and y=0 having translated it by +2 in the x-axis? I said it must be a polynomial of degree of less than 4 because it has 3 distinct roots but obviously other functions with greater degrees can have this 3 distinct roots and repeated roots.
    I think the general consensus is that the exam was at least a little harder compared to exams in the past, so there's still a good chance you'll get an interview I suppose.
    Ugh for some reason I was convinced that there was a power of 8 in the expansion of that polynomial :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muchamazesowow)
    I think the general consensus is that the exam was at least a little harder compared to exams in the past, so there's still a good chance you'll get an interview I suppose.
    Ugh for some reason I was convinced that there was a power of 8 in the expansion of that polynomial :|
    I think there was an 8th power in it, only since you differentiated it became a 7th power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Bull****. Why would they invite people with a score of 50-60 (which we know they do) when they know they aren't going to offer them a place? Sure, a higher MAT means you need to do less well on the interview, but if there was a direct correlation like you're implying, they would just offer the top 20% by MAT scores a place and be done with it.

ReputationRep:
    Same omg thank the lord

ReputationRep:
    For question 1, isn't the answer a>2 because if it was less than 2 there would be no real solutions ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dutchmaths)
    Bull****. Why would they invite people with a score of 50-60 (which we know they do) when they know they aren't going to offer them a place? Sure, a higher MAT means you need to do less well on the interview, but if there was a direct correlation like you're implying, they would just offer the top 20% by MAT scores a place and be done with it.
    It's always better to have a dim outlook and be surprised to get an offer, than be hopeful of getting an offer when, in all likelihood, you're not going to get one. Also, I believe there is quite strong correlation with MAT and getting an offer, but that isn't entirely because Oxford concentrate on the MAT massively, it's also because someone who gets a higher score on the MAT is more likely to do well in the interview as well. I'm not sure how true the logic of "If you're getting an interview, you're in a good position to get an offer" is - I mean, Cambridge interview over 90% of maths applicants and for a lot of them, on paper, they're probably fairly sure they're not going to give an offer out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    It's always better to have a dim outlook and be surprised to get an offer, than be hopeful of getting an offer when, in all likelihood, you're not going to get one. Also, I believe there is quite strong correlation with MAT and getting an offer, but that isn't entirely because Oxford concentrate on the MAT massively, it's also because someone who gets a higher score on the MAT is more likely to do well in the interview as well. I'm not sure how true the logic of "If you're getting an interview, you're in a good position to get an offer" is - I mean, Cambridge interview over 90% of maths applicants and for a lot of them, on paper, they're probably fairly sure they're not going to give an offer out.
    I agree that it's better to have a dim outlook than to be overconfident, but people shouldn't be saying they have no chance when they get 57. It's very likely that there is a correlation between high MAT scores and offers, but like you said, that's partly because people who are smart get high MAT scores. If you did worse on the MAT than you could have, it's possible that your score doesn't represent your competence.
    As for Cambridge interviews, their application process for Maths differs so radically from that of Oxford that I'm not sure whether that's a valid comparison. Oxford has the advantage that all applicants have taken a paper set by the university at the time of interview, whereas Cambridge doesn't.
    I 100% agree that a higher MAT score makes you likelier to get an offer, but why exactly would Oxford interview people they know they're going to reject? Unless there's a fair chance (>20% of so) of getting in regardless of score, it just seems like a waste of money to accommodate and feed these applicants for 4 days, without there having been a fair chance at an offer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.