Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    What about if I only achieved ABB at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Go for it, what have you got to lose? I have BBB at AS and an Oxford offer. I probably won't meet my offer but I have no regrets

ReputationRep:
    Hey, off-topic question here. Does anyone know if there's a reason this thread has a mere 60 pages while our Cambridge brethren have burnt through over 800 (!) and counting? Just curious.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesJones777)
    Go for it, what have you got to lose? I have BBB at AS and an Oxford offer. I probably won't meet my offer but I have no regrets
    I'm sure you will! The only thing is I might apply for deferred entry (Oriental Studies) and if my grades aren't that great then that would be pointless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What about if I only achieved ABB at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Still the same advice, other aspects of the application are more important. All that matters is that your predicted grades meet the offer and are reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanieleZ)
    Hey, off-topic question here. Does anyone know if there's a reason this thread has a mere 60 pages while our Cambridge brethren have burnt through over 800 (!) and counting? Just curious.
    Oxford applicants are a lot more chill? Maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the1akshay)
    Oxford applicants are a lot more chill? Maybe?
    That actually seems to be it. I've stalked their thread (it's like staking out your opponents turf) and just found pages and pages of rambling conversations about schoolwork... which is the stereotype of prospective Cambridge students I had in my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanieleZ)
    It's worse that it looks as 10 of the 60 pages are people discussing why this page is so quiet compared to The Uni That Shall Not Be Named Applicants 2016 Entry

As for the reason, well maybe there should be a poll?

Possible reasons (please add your own):

Oxford applicants are too busy reading, 'cos they're just that smart (they just love it all)

Oxford applicants are too busy reading, 'cos they're just that dumb (they need to play catch up all the time)

Oxford applicants are just so fun-loving they are out having fun

Oxford applicants are just so shy they are too embarrassed to post

Oxford applicants are too serious to fritter time away talking about trivia and making silly jokes

Oxford applicants are just too serious and need to lighten up a little

The other place is so much more difficult to get into that their applicants need to bone-up on how to get in

The other place is so much easier to get into that their applicants can frolic their time away on TSR all the while

In the words of the larger male sibling: YOU DECIDE!

Spoiler:
    Show
    It does seem like a lot more fun over there.... But we have the Radcliffe Camera

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)
    It's worse that it looks as 10 of the 60 pages are people discussing why this page is so quiet compared to The Uni That Shall Not Be Named Applicants 2016 Entry

As for the reason, well maybe there should be a poll?

Possible reasons (please add your own):

Oxford applicants are too busy reading, 'cos they're just that smart (they just love it all)

Oxford applicants are too busy reading, 'cos they're just that dumb (they need to play catch up all the time)

Oxford applicants are just so fun-loving they are out having fun

Oxford applicants are just so shy they are too embarrassed to post

Oxford applicants are too serious to fritter time away talking about trivia and making silly jokes

Oxford applicants are just too serious and need to lighten up a little

The other place is so much more difficult to get into that their applicants need to bone-up on how to get in

The other place is so much easier to get into that their applicants can frolic their time away on TSR all the while

In the words of the larger male sibling: YOU DECIDE!

Spoiler:
    Show
    It does seem like a lot more fun over there.... But we have the Radcliffe Camera
    What do they even talk about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adynaton)
    What do they even talk about?
    It's seems to be about 50/50 mucking about and serious questions on Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)
    It's seems to be about 50/50 mucking about and serious questions on Chemistry.
    Sounds about right

What course/college are you going to apply to? And, most of all, what made you pick oxford over the other place?

ReputationRep:
    are most of you private school too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    are most of you private school too?
    International, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adynaton)
    International, sorry
    You go to an international school in Italy? Which one? (Sorry I was creeping haha I'm Italian as well)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camillaswift)
    You go to an international school in Italy? Which one? (Sorry I was creeping haha I'm Italian as well)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries at all! We Italians got to stick together (?)

No, I actually go to a public school. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you will! The only thing is I might apply for deferred entry (Oriental Studies) and if my grades aren't that great then that would be pointless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm an oriental studies applicant too :L my advice is seriously go for it as long as your predictions meet the requirements

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Oxford today to have a look around (couldn't make any of the official Open Days.) Any recommendations on what to visit/see/do??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyx)
    I'm going to Oxford today to have a look around (couldn't make any of the official Open Days.) Any recommendations on what to visit/see/do??
    LMH! Friendly, very pretty and accommodation all three years. Building in progress -- new quad -- but will be completed Spring 2016.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyx)
    Faculties are useful, generally any colleges on the High Street or Broad Street area are easy to get to and means you can see quite a few in the day. The Bodleian library and Radcliffe Camera are worth a look. Mention you're a prospective applicant and most places will let you in

The botanic gardens are also nice if that's your kind of thing, and then you can see Magdalen and their deer park, and Univ is right next to the botanic gardens so worth a look :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by personage)
    LMH! Friendly, very pretty and accommodation all three years. Building in progress -- new quad -- but will be completed Spring 2016.
    Visitors tend to forget the outerlying colleges, but the ten min walk can be well worth it. Central colleges tend to be oversubscribed and in reality aren't any "better".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by personage)
    Visitors tend to forget the outerlying colleges, but the ten min walk can be well worth it. Central colleges tend to be oversubscribed and in reality aren't any "better".
    Please stop repping LMH.

Yes it is a lovely college and it's definitely worth a look, but let people make up their own minds about colleges. Nobody has said that central colleges are better, but it is a fact that it's easier to see more of the central colleges than it is to take the closer to 15-20 minute walk to further out colleges. All colleges tend to be oversubscribed, people should choose a college based on their preference, not on the statistics found online.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.