Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini-Me)
    All of a sudden I've gotten really nervous about starting in October and not remembering anything. What should I be doing as a gap year student before natsci to prevent this? Other than just rereading a level notes/textbooks - I don't have enough motivation to do that!
    I would do chemistry and physics papers or biology ones? And just make botes on the content and recap it. Lol I am sure you won't forget everything.
    Maybe some of thos old aea papers for the sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    Then provide evidence for your point, otherwise its not worth paying any attention to. You can't seriously expect people to put any heed on a sentence of pure rhetoric.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As time passes, you gain knowledge, experience, you reflect on things, hence you become more mature. You really need evidence for that? Are you sure you're in the right thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foreignbloke)
    As time passes, you gain knowledge, experience, you reflect on things, hence you become more mature. You really need evidence for that? Are you sure you're in the right thread?
    yes please. I think sufficient evidence would be a comparison or y13 applicants success rates vs y14 applicants success rates as a proportion of applicants. Ideally you would make a distinction between arts and sciences but that would only be necessary to provide an explicate counter to my dismissal of your original point as far as gap years and sciences not going hand in hand.

Your right I should be on the 2014 offer holders page but its quite quiet so I migrated over here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini-Me)
    All of a sudden I've gotten really nervous about starting in October and not remembering anything. What should I be doing as a gap year student before natsci to prevent this? Other than just rereading a level notes/textbooks - I don't have enough motivation to do that!
    What subjects are you planning on taking?

as far as my options went; maths is probably worth doing some prep to make sure you're not too rusty but physics starts off slowly with relatively easy mechanics. Chemistry starts off with spectroscopy and molecular orbital theory which you wont have covered before unless you're some IChO champion so you can pick it up with everyone else as you go along. Materials starts from the assumption of no prior knowledge although some geometry skills are useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    not with science.
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    Durham have responded at last so I can finally firm Cambridge! Doing student finance this weekend, ahh it's all happening

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have been following this thread for a while but may aswell put my name down now
    Conditional Offer to study Mathematics with Physics at Girton. A*A*A (Maths,F.Maths,Physics) plus 1,2 in STEP II,III any order
    Look forward to (hopefully) seeing everyone in October!

ReputationRep:
    Just firmed Cambridge and insuranced Southampton. That was unexpectedly nerve-wracking!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about my insurance choice, tempted to put UCL as that's definitely my second favourite but it's only one grade below Cambridge's offer, anyone else having this dilemma?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlfieD)
    Not sure about my insurance choice, tempted to put UCL as that's definitely my second favourite but it's only one grade below Cambridge's offer, anyone else having this dilemma?
    I've already done it although to be fair my Cambridge is A*A*AA while UCL is AAA, but I imagine that if the "one grade lower" is the difference between an A* and an A it's worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    BUMPPPPPP

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else reading and watching as much as possible about oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    Anyone else reading and watching as much as possible about oxbridge?
    Have you seen The Riot Club?

ReputationRep:
    YESSSSS anything you recommend except for riot club and theory of everything??????

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Have you seen The Riot Club?
    Nah, 6/10 IMDB, that's uncharted territory for me...

Is it worth a watch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umutalberts)
    YESSSSS anything you recommend except for riot club and theory of everything??????

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I watch a few youtube channels, namely Jack Wright, SimonOxPhys and JamoeMills, other than that I look at the tab Cambridge website. 'Sir Cam' is great on twitter.

I'm slightly concerned about the workload. I want to work incredibly hard and be close to my subject but at the same time I want to be able to look at other subjects and take part in other things, not just Economics :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    I watch a few youtube channels, namely Jack Wright, SimonOxPhys and JamoeMills, other than that I look at the tab Cambridge website. 'Sir Cam' is great on twitter.

I'm slightly concerned about the workload. I want to work incredibly hard and be close to my subject but at the same time I want to be able to look at other subjects and take part in other things, not just Economics :/
    You do not want to do this. You can manage your work and do most of the extra/super curricular stuff you want provided you don't go making additional work for yourself, "looking at other subjects" sounds like you want to make your life hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    Nah, 6/10 IMDB, that's uncharted territory for me...

Is it worth a watch?
    Yeah. It's not that long and it's got a lot of 'the other place' in it.

Not an amazing movie, but if you're looking for Oxbridge-related media then watch it. I personally thought the actors were pretty excellent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)

Send a link to the tab website?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    You do not want to do this. You can manage your work and do most of the extra/super curricular stuff you want provided you don't go making additional work for yourself, "looking at other subjects" sounds like you want to make your life hard.
    Obviously not extensively. Cambridge has a huge amount of history behind it and I want to experience that, not just sit at my desk 95% of the time.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.