The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Is any current HWSF student doing physics? How did you prepare for the exam? And how hard was it compared to a GCSE physics exam? Cheers!
(edited 8 years ago)
Will the English Literature exam ask us to analyse just one poem?
That's what I was wondering- however I think it can be any piece of Literature not necessarily a poem.
What kind of questions do you reckon they'll ask in a English based interview?
Original post by amarocks88
What kind of questions do you reckon they'll ask in a English based interview?

Probably about a favourite book/poem and what about it makes it stand out. I'd brush up on the basics like Shakespeare and then perhaps something a bit more modern and that's been critically acclaimed so the interviewer can relate. Just think outside the box a bit- maybe turn a book on its head and talk about why a character that most people hate is one that you love or something original. I'm not sure what kind of questions specifically they'd ask- I would just have a couple of books that defined you at the back of your mind to draw from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
omg, I'm taking the physics entrance exam too... am so freaked out right now, the sample questions on their website looks quite confusing.
Original post by erodedsoul
Probably about a favourite book/poem and what about it makes it stand out. I'd brush up on the basics like Shakespeare and then perhaps something a bit more modern and that's been critically acclaimed so the interviewer can relate. Just think outside the box a bit- maybe turn a book on its head and talk about why a character that most people hate is one that you love or something original. I'm not sure what kind of questions specifically they'd ask- I would just have a couple of books that defined you at the back of your mind to draw from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah one of the main reasons i picked english as an interview subject was because I read too much. Hopefully it will be more about books rather than the subject itself.
How are you preparing for it?

Original post by Fathima-afra
omg, I'm taking the physics entrance exam too... am so freaked out right now, the sample questions on their website looks quite confusing.
Original post by kennethdcharles
How are you preparing for it?

I went through p1,2 and 3, one of the students who goes there told me to go through the igcse syllabus aswell, so I suggest you do that. It's pretty much the same content expect they have a couple of additional things like density for example but you would have covered that in maths anyway. 😊
I haven't really been active on this thread, but I'm going to do the Geography and politics entrance exams. Any advice on how to prepare would be helpful (especially from current students!) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ananya._c
I haven't really been active on this thread, but I'm going to do the Geography and politics entrance exams. Any advice on how to prepare would be helpful (especially from current students!) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing a politics interview so let me know what questions came up. I'm not 100% but I imagine it will be more theory based questions than questions on current affairs. Maybe on voting systems etc (I think they'll probably take advantage of the fact this will be the first entrance exam after the 2015 election).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will :yy: Do you think they would expect us to know in detail about political parties e.g. their history or generally just about their views?
I will :yy: Do you think they would expect us to know in detail about political parties e.g. their history or generally just about their views?

They said they would not ask anything harder than GCSE level so I don't think they'd expect anymore than a basic awareness of the parties and the main differences between them. It would be quite illogical and unfair to ask about any specifics of a party as obviously people will be biased in their knowledge depending on whom they support. Politics isn't really taught at GCSE level so I'm going to guess that it's not going to require the same level of knowledge and understanding as say, a core subject like maths or history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by erodedsoul
They said they would not ask anything harder than GCSE level so I don't think they'd expect anymore than a basic awareness of the parties and the main differences between them. It would be quite illogical and unfair to ask about any specifics of a party as obviously people will be biased in their knowledge depending on whom they support. Politics isn't really taught at GCSE level so I'm going to guess that it's not going to require the same level of knowledge and understanding as say, a core subject like maths or history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's reassuring, anyway good luck :smile: I'm going to go and swallow a politics textbook now in a feeble attempt to revise..

Hey, I did the politics entrance exam last year. You don't really need much knowledge of political parties or politics in general from my experience. I walked in not knowing one thing about politics (I didn't even know what Labour was LOL) and still managed to get an offer (surprisingly).

Also, for those stressing about the maths entrance exam I answered pretty much two or three questions and still managed to get a place for maths and further maths. I'm pretty sure you all can do much better than I did! :-)
Original post by Kirshtaaay
Hey, I did the politics entrance exam last year. You don't really need much knowledge of political parties or politics in general from my experience. I walked in not knowing one thing about politics (I didn't even know what Labour was LOL) and still managed to get an offer (surprisingly).

ohh so I'm guessing it's very much 'how well you can argue/present a point'
Original post by Fathima-afra
I went through p1,2 and 3, one of the students who goes there told me to go through the igcse syllabus aswell, so I suggest you do that. It's pretty much the same content expect they have a couple of additional things like density for example but you would have covered that in maths anyway. 😊

Cheers 😊
I have to do the entrance examination this Saturday and im really nervous about it. The sample questions look quite difficult. How can I prepare for Maths and History? The History sample questions are so vague.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by goldenusername
I have to do the entrance examination this Saturday and im really nervous about it. The sample questions look quite difficult. How can I prepare for Maths and History? The History sample questions are so vague.

I agree, all the written questions seem a bit vague really I guess they're supposed to be ambiguous so they can judge how you interpret them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you guys think there will be any teachers there so we can ask them questions about the school etc ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending