Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRaspberry)
    What else could you talk about in an enzyme essay>

Got Structure (primary etc...), competitive/non-competitive, heat & ph, respiration & photosynthesis.

Anymore ideas??
    types of enzymes
    (ligase, polyemerase) unit 5
    (enzymes involved in nitrogen, respiration and photosynthesis cycles) unit 4

ReputationRep:
    biol 5 is by far the easiet unit who's with me :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRaspberry)
    What else could you talk about in an enzyme essay>

Got Structure (primary etc...), competitive/non-competitive, heat & ph, respiration & photosynthesis.

Anymore ideas??
    lock and key and induced fit, i cant think of much else though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessiebon)
    What are you hoping for? I want a B and I am finding the unit 5 past papers really difficult. I've been getting 40-50 marks without the essay but I've not planned for the essay much.
    If you understand most of the topics and can write 3-4 paragraphs (across a few different topics) that can link back to the question well then you can still do pretty well in the essay.

ReputationRep:
    Guys i have a couple of questions....

1) what even is a polymer (I know stupid question)
    2) What would you include in a carbohydrate essay?
    3) can somebody please explain taxis/kinesis to me briefly, along with stem cells?

thank you so much! Willing to help with anything if I can x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henry1204)
    Anyone know a good way to remember the difference between rod cells and cone cells? realllly struggling....
    Cones
    Colour
    Clear

Rods
    Really don't work in light
    Rightly in dark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulDentist..)
    I don't know content still not learned, past papers not done, essays not planned.
    Same!!!!!!! :'( oh well, "it's not the end of the world"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.R.E.A.M)
    apparently proteins wasthe essay on the stolen bio 5 paper so its unlikely to be that for ours as they will use a different one
    how do you know that?

ReputationRep:
    Could someone tell me all the enzymes that we need to know and their function for this unit? like reverse transcriptase and such ?
    Sorry if this was posted before

ReputationRep:
    apparently proteins wasthe essay on the stolen bio 5 paper so its unlikely to be that for ours as they will use a different one
    Noooooooo! Source?? D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henry1204)
    Anyone know a good way to remember the difference between rod cells and cone cells? realllly struggling....
    Not a good way, but I remember it as in like fishing rods and how people go fishing as a group so there's more than one to one bipolar neuron :') Its awful, but it helps me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ember8)
    types of enzymes
    (ligase, polyemerase) unit 5
    (enzymes involved in nitrogen, respiration and photosynthesis cycles) unit 4
    (Original post by hiyaitsnikitaaa)
    lock and key and induced fit, i cant think of much else though
    Thanks all

ReputationRep:
    How do you know this?
    Do you know what the other essay was?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sn4kebiteheart)

3) can somebody please explain taxis/kinesis to me briefly, along with stem cells?

A polymer is just a big molecule with lots of little molecules (monomers) joined together
    In a carbohydrate essay I'd include:
    photosynthesis, digestion of starch, structure of starch and glycogen, structure and function of cellulose

ReputationRep:
    was quite concerned at not revising for this but it appears I need not worry :-)

ReputationRep:

Polymer is lots of monomers joined together- so like lots of monosaccharides, or amino acids. Its a long chain basically.

Carbohydrates:

Unit 1: Structure, function. Glucose, fructose, maltose, lactose etccc and how broken down in the body by hydrolysis. Possibly could put about how to test for them and stuff?

Unit 2: Starch, glycogen, cellulose and their structures and functions and how they work in plants and animals.

Unit 4: Respiration, carbon cycle, photosynthesis. Break down of glucose in respiration, how it's made in photosynthesis.

Unit 5: Glucose levels in the body and diabetes.

Taxis is a directional response to a stimulus e.g light
    Kinesis is a nondirectional response

Stem cells can differentiate into any cell typ

ReputationRep:
    ****... I've been concentrating so much on C4, I forgot everything for Bio 5 tomorrow..

ReputationRep:
    anyone wanna hazard a guss at what synoptic essay might come up tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    I'm gunna do so badly on this exam. I know 80% of the content but I still flop the past papers. I just hope it's content mainly and an easy 25 mark essay. Last exam, hopefully I can finish on an OK note.

ReputationRep:

1. so a polymer is made out of monomers ( for example DNA is a polymer, its made out of its monomers, nucleotides. )
    2. Carbohydrate essay: Unit 1 - structure and function of alpha and beta glucose. Unit 2 - no idea. Unit 4 - Respiration ( how glucose is turned into ATP ). Photosynthesis ( how Light Independent Stage produces sugars such as glucose) Unit 5 - Blood Glucose Homeostasis. Thats all I can think of for Carbohydrates.
    3. Taxis - Directional response to a stimuli ( towards or away from )
    Kinesis - A non-directional movement from an unfavorable area to a favorable one. The organisms move rapidly and randomly.

Hopefully this helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.