hahaha I was only messing with you!

I don't actually know :lol:
Original post by trapking
hahaha I was only messing with you!

I don't actually know :lol:

You said RK told you and he knows so you know
Sherlock Holmes out ere.
Affirmative :biggrin: ^^
[video="youtube;-8LeGIn-uUw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8LeGIn-uUw[/video]

Also..

"Just a small town girl livin in a lowly world. Support Man Utd, Chelsea and England. Student. Bit of a #nerd. Student. Anti sexism activist. #MUFCCasuals"

===

wut

Ah, man. Such a shame.
Looks like one of them fake accounts that steals an unsuspecting person's pictures and posts them as their own
Original post by MagicNMedicine
X

Giggs doesn't exude confidence in his own abilities to be a top manager - shown by the four games he had in charge after Moyes saying he wasn't ready and I don't see that will have massively changed. The pressure managing United will be consuming and plus Woodward can't afford a second poor appointment as executive vice chairman. That's why he will go for experience and ready made winners such as Guardiola (if he can be persuaded to reject City) or Mourinho (who wants the job and is probably stoking up rumours of Madrid to force United to act).

Hughes has done well at a club level but to manage United in this day and age, it's about trophies and what a manager has won plus he was happy to manage Man City so he's lost bit of kudos for that decision. On your list of great players - I'd say Dalglish in his first spell as manager didn't do too badly; Gullit, as you noted on another thread, struggled despite an impressive start to his coaching career at Chelsea; Keegan didn't pull up any trees after his first spell as Newcastle manager.

It's difficult for players who've had a very good careers as players to suddenly take over as manager or be eased into the role. Look at Pep, for a few years after retiring, he spent time watching football around the world, broadening his knowledge. Players like Giggs, besides the coaching badges, it's difficult to see how thirsty they are for knowledge and thinking about the game to the point they are obsessed about it.

This is from Pep's book, quite interesting.
Original post by _Morsey_
Also..

"Just a small town girl livin in a lowly world. Support Man Utd, Chelsea and England. Student. Bit of a #nerd. Student. Anti sexism activist. #MUFCCasuals"

===

wut

95% sure that's Depleted.
Original post by Lúcio
95% sure that's Depleted.

Nah, thats @Eboracum fo sho.

Wonder what he makes of this shambles...
Original post by Aky786UK

It's difficult for players who've had a very good careers as players to suddenly take over as manager or be eased into the role. Look at Pep, for a few years after retiring, he spent time watching football around the world, broadening his knowledge. Players like Giggs, besides the coaching badges, it's difficult to see how thirsty they are for knowledge and thinking about the game to the point they are obsessed about it.

I wonder if part of the thinking behind making Giggs manager would be that United have a certain culture - like Barcelona - and Giggs having come through it would understand it in a way that Pep got Barca.

I think there are two differences.

First - Barca had a much stronger youth system and identity of playing a certain way and bringing players through the youth system to the first team. United haven't really done that since the Giggs generation. Yes there were individuals that came though every couple of years like Brown, O'Shea, Evans, Fletcher and Welbeck but that's like every other Premier League club.

Second - I think there's a difference between being a "leader" in a footballing sense and a "leader" in the way of being able to lead a sporting organisation to a dynasty of success where you need to have the skills of a great leader in politics or management generally. Ferguson had that. Guardiola I think had that. Giggs I think is a generally quiet guy who was a great professional and commands massive respect but I don't think he's got the charisma and natural leadership of Ferguson. Very few do. Mourinho has it but in a way that can be corrosive.

I'm going to get the backs up any scouser reading this but I think this was the problem with Dalglish as well. Dalglish wasn't as charismatic and intelligent as Ferguson. Now in fairness he showed a lot of off-field leadership in the aftermath of Hillsborough and he gave his time and went beyond the call of duty with the families and he made sure the players responded in the Liverpool way, so credit for that. But fundamentally Kenny lived in the dressing room who liked to badge himself as "I'm a football man and you're not" with the media. Fergie never did that. Problem is that sense of dressing room insularity leads to the wrong loyalties. Dalglish let Liverpool erode by keeping his old mates together till beyond their sell-by date and leaving a major rebuilding job for his successor. He then rocked up at Newcastle a few years later and sold Ferdinand and Ginola to bring in his old mates Rush and Barnes who were even more past it.

I get better vibes from Gary Neville than I do Giggs in this regard and I like the way Neville is going out to test himself with Valencia and I'd be interested in seeing him as England manager.

For United I will be fearful if Giggs comes in because it will beckon another period of wasted years. United are kind of at the crossroads Liverpool were at the end of the Souness era. They had to get it right then, but they went with Roy Evans, boot room culture and all that. By the time Evans left, time had moved on and Liverpool were not a team a couple of years past greatness but a former giant scrapping to restore old glories and this can take many years as Fergie's predecessors found.
I have a feeling that LVG will resign stating that Chelsea will be his last match, it would be a dignified end to his career and we get to move on with a new manager who would have January to make signings. There seems to be a little bit of inevitability about his departure, especially how he said that he may quit but wants to speak to Ed first :tongue:

Also with our current form, the Europa League looks like a good prospect of securing UCL football next season.
Original post by Aky786UK

I wonder if part of the thinking behind making Giggs manager would be that United have a certain culture - like Barcelona - and Giggs having come through it would understand it in a way that Pep got Barca.

I think there are two differences.

First - Barca had a much stronger youth system and identity of playing a certain way and bringing players through the youth system to the first team. United haven't really done that since the Giggs generation. Yes there were individuals that came though every couple of years like Brown, O'Shea, Evans, Fletcher and Welbeck but that's like every other Premier League club.

Second - I think there's a difference between being a "leader" in a footballing sense and a "leader" in the way of being able to lead a sporting organisation to a dynasty of success where you need to have the skills of a great leader in politics or management generally. Ferguson had that. Guardiola I think had that. Giggs I think is a generally quiet guy who was a great professional and commands massive respect but I don't think he's got the charisma and natural leadership of Ferguson. Very few do. Mourinho has it but in a way that can be corrosive.

I'm going to get the backs up any scouser reading this but I think this was the problem with Dalglish as well. Dalglish wasn't as charismatic and intelligent as Ferguson. Now in fairness he showed a lot of off-field leadership in the aftermath of Hillsborough and he gave his time and went beyond the call of duty with the families and he made sure the players responded in the Liverpool way, so credit for that. But fundamentally Kenny lived in the dressing room who liked to badge himself as "I'm a football man and you're not" with the media. Fergie never did that. Problem is that sense of dressing room insularity leads to the wrong loyalties. Dalglish let Liverpool erode by keeping his old mates together till beyond their sell-by date and leaving a major rebuilding job for his successor. He then rocked up at Newcastle a few years later and sold Ferdinand and Ginola to bring in his old mates Rush and Barnes who were even more past it.

I get better vibes from Gary Neville than I do Giggs in this regard and I like the way Neville is going out to test himself with Valencia and I'd be interested in seeing him as England manager.

For United I will be fearful if Giggs comes in because it will beckon another period of wasted years. United are kind of at the crossroads Liverpool were at the end of the Souness era. They had to get it right then, but they went with Roy Evans, boot room culture and all that. By the time Evans left, time had moved on and Liverpool were not a team a couple of years past greatness but a former giant scrapping to restore old glories and this can take many years as Fergie's predecessors found.

IMO the best option for United would have been Ancelotti but Bayern have got in. 3 Champions League titles - I would have him ahead of Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp anyone. Now I think Guardiola or Mourinho. Mourinho brings a bit more security of being able to get success in the Premier League but Guardiola is a more Manchester United personality.

Latest