Maths year 11

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
TMUA discussion - please read before posting 09-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    Correct. What about something like \displaystyle \frac{1}{2+\sqrt{3}} ? It would be the same method with a slight twist.

To firstly investigate, think about what happens when you multiply the denominator by 2+\sqrt{3} and then see what happens if you multiply it by 2-\sqrt{3}. This may prove to be quite challenging but I believe it would appear at the end of Higher papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Correct. What about something like \displaystyle \frac{1}{2+\sqrt{3}} ? It would be the same method with a slight twist. To firstly investigate, think about what happens when you multiply the denominator by 2+\sqrt{3} and then see what happens if you multiply it by 2-\sqrt{3}. This may prove to be quite challenging.
    Yeah I get stuck on the expand and simplifying ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Correct. What about something like \displaystyle \frac{1}{2+\sqrt{3}} ? It would be the same method with a slight twist. To firstly investigate, think about what happens when you multiply the denominator by 2+\sqrt{3} and then see what happens if you multiply it by 2-\sqrt{3}. This may prove to be quite challenging.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You expanded correctly (though the last bracket should have a multiplication sign!). Now it's just a matter of collecting the terms. Remember the surd rule: \sqrt{a} \cdot \sqrt{b} = \sqrt{a\cdot b} and the fact that you cannot simplify something like 2\sqrt3 any further, so you leave that as it is.

ReputationRep:
    You expanded correctly (though the last bracket should have a multiplication sign!). Now it's just a matter of collecting the terms. Remember the surd rule: \sqrt{a} \cdot \sqrt{b} = \sqrt{a\cdot b} and the fact that you cannot simplify something like 2\sqrt3 any further, so you leave that as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Actually, hold on. There is a mistake in your expansions I missed. The last bracket should be -\sqrt2 \cdot 2. Look at the arrows coming out for the first bracket, you have 3 from \sqrt3 and only 1 from \sqrt2 which means you are doing an extra needless calculation which you've already covered. Check it.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, hold on. There is a mistake in your expansions I missed. The last bracket should be -\sqrt2 \cdot 2. Look at the arrows coming out for the first bracket, you have 3 from \sqrt3 and only 1 from \sqrt2 which means you are doing an extra needless calculation which you've already covered. Check it.
    Did it again

I don't know how to workout the 2nd bracket the one with a negative surd

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    Did it again

I don't know how to workout the 2nd bracket the one with a negative surd

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In the same way you worked out \sqrt3 \cdot 2 just, well, it's a negative quantity this time.

ReputationRep:
    In the same way you worked out \sqrt3 \cdot 2 just, well, it's a negative quantity this time.
    Correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    How should I add them now ? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    How should I add them now ? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeppp. Add what???

ReputationRep:
    Yeppp. Add what???
    You know when I have to work out the next step I need to add these right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    You know when I have to work out the next step I need to add these right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah you would only add them if they shared any common terms. In this case they are all individual so you don't.

If there was something like \sqrt3 + 1 + 7\sqrt3 - \sqrt2 then you can add the \sqrt3 and 7\sqrt3 (which would gives you 8\sqrt3) because \sqrt3 is a common term amongst those two numbers.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay

So what do I do next?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    Oh okay

So what do I do next?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can leave the answer as it is since you cannot simplify it any further.

Have a go at the question I've proposed earlier.

ReputationRep:

Yep I will can I have a bit of an explanation to how to do that whilst I do another example to this x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

What do I do after this step?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    Yep I will can I have a bit of an explanation to how to do that whilst I do another example to this x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well the explanation would come from you attempting to rationalise the denominator there by getting rid off the \sqrt3.

Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Multiply 2+\sqrt3 by 2+\sqrt3 and see what happens.
    Now separately multiply 2+\sqrt3 by 2-\sqrt3 and see if that helps you more than the previous result.

Once you see which result gives you the rationalised expression, you know what to multiply the numerator and denominator of \frac{1}{2+\sqrt3} by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    What do I do after this step?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You got the part with 2\sqrt{45} + 18 right and you know that \sqrt{45}=3\sqrt5 from what you've shown. You can use this replace the \sqrt{45} in the original answer.

ReputationRep:
    Well the explanation would come from you attempting to rationalise the denominator there by getting rid off the \sqrt3.

Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Multiply 2+\sqrt3 by 2+\sqrt3 and see what happens.
    Now separately multiply 2+\sqrt3 by 2-\sqrt3 and see if that helps you more than the previous result.

Once you see which result gives you the rationalised expression, you know what to multiply the numerator and denominator of \frac{1}{2+\sqrt3} by.
    Here

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.