UEA Accommodation Watch

This discussion is closed.
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by diamonddust)
Bit of a n00bish question () but how do you pay for accommodation? In monthly installments? Or one lump sum at the start of the year?
There are several options including all at once, one a term and 8 "monthly" installments. The online thing takes you through it all and once you've decided upon a method then it just takes it out your account without you having to do anything
diamonddust
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
There are several options including all at once, one a term and 8 "monthly" installments. The online thing takes you through it all and once you've decided upon a method then it just takes it out your account without you having to do anything
Thanks so much!
Jaredss
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not sure what the payment is like for other methods but for monthly payments they work out to be spread over 7 or so months not the 9/10 expected ( for campus ensuite thats about £470 a month not £390 I thought it would be)

Nothing major just something I would have liked to have been aware of beforehand
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jaredss)
Not sure what the payment is like for other methods but for monthly payments they work out to be spread over 7 or so months not the 9/10 expected ( for campus ensuite thats about £470 a month not £390 I thought it would be)

Nothing major just something I would have liked to have been aware of beforehand
Yeah it's 8 installments, paid on the 3rd of every month from November to June.

For the village it's ~£444 a month :yep:
Jaredss
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah it's 8 installments, paid on the 3rd of every month from November to June.

For the village it's ~£444 a month :yep:
I knew it was something like that but wasn't sure of the figures. Gonna need to be a tad more clued up next year
goofy-blues
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
just realised that if I get campus ensuite I will be on MINUS £155 by December. and that's without eating or going out. lol. FML.

does anyone know what bursaries are available (if any) to people whose household income is over the boundary but whose parents can't always afford to support? I am hoping to work this summer to make a little extra, but i don't think that will be very much..
ellie-wellie
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by goofy-blues)
just realised that if I get campus ensuite I will be on MINUS £155 by December. and that's without eating or going out. lol. FML.
This is such a stupid/lazy question, but how on earth did you work that out?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

does anyone know what bursaries are available (if any) to people whose household income is over the boundary but whose parents can't always afford to support? I am hoping to work this summer to make a little extra, but i don't think that will be very much..
Sadly not. If you go for the campus standard thats about £1000 cheaper over the year than the ensuite (Norfolk/Suffolk) or £1500 cheaper for Orwell/Wolfson.
goofy-blues
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ellie-wellie)
This is such a stupid/lazy question, but how on earth did you work that out?
well... i don't know the dates of payments etc (i don't know if you pay a full month for September?) but a standard maintenance loan is £1176 a term and the ensuite is £444 a month so minus 444 for October, November and December is - £155, I'm not very good at maths so thought I'd made a mistake, but I think it's fairly accurate give or take a couple of pounds..
goofy-blues
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Sadly not. If you go for the campus standard thats about £1000 cheaper over the year than the ensuite (Norfolk/Suffolk) or £1500 cheaper for Orwell/Wolfson.

Are orwell and wolfson standard shared bathrooms?
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Are orwell and wolfson standard shared bathrooms?
Norfolk, Suffolk, Orwell & Wolfson are all shared bathroom. At Norfolk & Suffolk you get a sink in your room. At Orwell & Wolfson you don't. Most people have said that they don't mind sharing facilities really, and Norfolk & Suffolk are said to be the most sociable halls. I'm only going for ensuite because I have a problem with my bladder.
goofy-blues
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
Norfolk, Suffolk, Orwell & Wolfson are all shared bathroom. At Norfolk & Suffolk you get a sink in your room. At Orwell & Wolfson you don't. Most people have said that they don't mind sharing facilities really, and Norfolk & Suffolk are said to be the most sociable halls. I'm only going for ensuite because I have a problem with my bladder.
I'm almost defs going for norfolk/suffolk... i didn't really know anything about the orwell and wolfson ones, i thought all the other campus ones were en suite
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm almost defs going for norfolk/suffolk... i didn't really know anything about the orwell and wolfson ones, i thought they were all ensuite
No they arent. The majority of halls are ensuite though. But Norfolk/Suffolk seems like a good choice, apparently you get a slightly bigger room as you dont have the bathroom.
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
well... i don't know the dates of payments etc (i don't know if you pay a full month for September?) but a standard maintenance loan is £1176 a term and the ensuite is £444 a month so minus 444 for October, November and December is - £155, I'm not very good at maths so thought I'd made a mistake, but I think it's fairly accurate give or take a couple of pounds..
If you do the "monthly" installments you begin paying in November. Although from the sounds of things you can't afford campus en-suite, so I would look at the other options tbh.
goofy-blues
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you do the "monthly" installments you begin paying in November. Although from the sounds of things you can't afford campus en-suite, so I would look at the other options tbh.
ensuite was never my first choice... but it was a shock nonetheless.
UEAAccommodation
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm almost defs going for norfolk/suffolk... i didn't really know anything about the orwell and wolfson ones, i thought all the other campus ones were en suite
Seems like you have a few questions about payments. So you can make an informed descision about what type of accommodation to go for I'll let you know how it's worked out.

Like (I think) you've been told already on the thread you have three options to pay for the room. All in one go, three equal termly installments or by direct debit over 8 months. We give you these options as students are funded in different ways and it gives you more flexibilty in your finances. No option costs any more or less than the others, it is purely your choice.

As you will be coming as an undergraduate student your licence will be (about) 38 weeks long however we charge for the rooms on a nightly basis so you will only pay the exact amount for the nights shown on your licence.

One thing that I do want to make you aware of that has been mentioned earlier is that the termly and monthly payments DO NOT reflect the actual time that you are paying for it. For instance your March payment does not just pay for March's rent. What they are is just either a third or an eighth of the total amount. (I only mention this because we are often asked about why our monthly payments are too high!). You are here for around 9-10 months and only pay 8 installments!

I'm more than happy to go through what each residence offers in terms or what you pay for it if you like. Just drop me a PM and I'll try to help you find the best type of room to apply for.
lauraslw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I think UEA does something like a hardship fund, im not entirely sure who can apply for it but look into that. And depending on what course you are on, im sure you get like £500 when you start from the uni as a bit of a grant. and the finance people are good if you arent able to pay on the exact date. Ive had to get a student account and maxed out the overdraft to help pay for my accomodation. I dont think anybody can ever afford to live here!
Riley26
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does anyone know if there is any separation between 'mature students' and other students?

Just wondering as I am 21 so therefore am classified as a mature student but obviously not too old!
kpwxx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it helps I paid termly and they divide pretty much exactly by three give or take a pound, which gives 1152 per term for the village for 2011/12, leaving you at least a positive amount if not very much.

If you have really high grades you may be eligible for a scholarship even without being eligible for grant/bursary. http://www.uea.ac.uk/acad/po/sbpo/bss
kpwxx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Riley26)
Does anyone know if there is any separation between 'mature students' and other students?

Just wondering as I am 21 so therefore am classified as a mature student but obviously not too old!
There isn't a separation, everyone's mixed in and honestly no-one really notices the difference in age- there is a lot of mixing between years in terms of friendships, and people do all sorts like gap years, work, college etc, so you get a bit of a mix of ages anyway.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 9 Feb '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (16)
30.77%
No - I got the required grades (29)
55.77%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (7)
13.46%

Watched Threads