Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie_101)
    Was researching PGCEs and came across this thread and have read the whole thing (took me a fair while, started yesterday evening!).

The thread has both terrified and intrigued me!

I'm currently in my first year of studying Marketing. It was a last minute choice, i applied to do Psychology but kind of panicked when i got bad grades, so switched to Marketing last minute as i was good at business. So yeah, anyway, never really liked marketing!

Ever since i was little (cliche but true) i wanted to be a teacher, i mean i chopped and changed, but it was the first thing i wanted to be and something i've always gone back to. I was a mentor in school, i was a monitor to a year 8 class, i did work experience in a special needs school for two weeks, i spent an hour a week in the local primary school for a year, and i'm off doing Camp America this summer. I'm wondering, do you think i can still get a place on a PGCE course with this experience, despite the fact i'm doing marketing? Cos i want to do Primary and i know my degree has absolutely no relevance. But i got all As and Bs in my GCSES, science, maths and english included, and i got ABB in A-Levels, a B in English Literature.

So, in a very longwinded round about way, do you think i could get a place with this background?

Also, are you teaching from day 1 with a PGCE? It seems that way but how do you know what you're doing! Or do you just observe for a few weeks then slowly work your way in?

Thanks!
    Your undergrad degree does not have to be related for many courses. Just get as much good experience as possible.
    With regards to teaching, you are eased into it with a lot of observation in your first placement.

ReputationRep:
    I just returned from my fourth failed interview. Has anyone else had this many? I feel dreadful - nobody is ever going to employ me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)
    I just returned from my fourth failed interview. Has anyone else had this many? I feel dreadful - nobody is ever going to employ me
    i posted on here last week, i ended up having 11 intervieews (been trying since january) and finally got a job wednesday. It really is about finding somewhere that you fit in- i ended up applying to any job possible over a couple of counties which i dont think helped...
    There is a job out there! you just have to wait, and you gain so much experience from it!

ReputationRep:
    A girl at the same placement school as me has had 5. She has said how personal it obviously feels, but I think it is just a case of finding the right place for you. It'll turn up.

I just need to decide what I want to do lol. I've made the decision not to apply for teaching jobs - and I am happy with that choice - I just need to decide what to do instead.

I had my half-way final placement report. I've got a good overall, the main weaknesses being classroom management/behaviour management based. My mentor said they are not unsatisfactory or anything but they are my weakness, so I have been given a 100 page 'magic behaviour management' book lol to read over the weekend. I was quite strict with the kids this morning and I managed to get them to move from the carpet to their tables without talking - that's a first lol.

Today has been a pretty good day in all. At wet play, a group of kids stayed in my classroom to do a story game [the one where you write a sentence, cover it up and pass it on, then write another on a different piece - criteria set out so everyone is writing a sentence about the setting, then the character, then a problem they face etc]. The kids loved it! They were really excited and laughed so much at the end results. I was a little puzzled that they had spent all playtime writing sentences but they didn't seem to notice lol. Just as they didn't notice that they we had done maths yesterday, as we did a practical investigation into right-angles. Oh, and our plants are growing really, really well. I stayed during my PPA today to sort them all out. 50 broadbean plants now with canes to help them stand up. We are going to transfer them to the outdoor vegetable garden next week.

Oh, and this marks the official half-way point of my final placement. 4 weeks on placement left, then 2 weeks on 'enhancement' at the same school. It'll be summer soon!

ReputationRep:
    sneakyteachers.blogspot.com/

make ur life easier as a teacher with some shortcuts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki_louise)
    i posted on here last week, i ended up having 11 intervieews (been trying since january) and finally got a job wednesday. It really is about finding somewhere that you fit in- i ended up applying to any job possible over a couple of counties which i dont think helped...
    There is a job out there! you just have to wait, and you gain so much experience from it!

Thanks! and grats on your job

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting interviews then that's something! I've sent off 3 apps and not been short-listed yet

You'll only get something if you keep trying! Ask for feedback and take the advice, getting rejected is a horrible feeling but you must have sparked their interest in you somewhere so let that shine at interview! xx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your positive comments

Sadly I had another interview today - this makes 5 rejections Thinking I might just drop out and get a normal job

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your positive comments

Sadly I had another interview today - this makes 5 rejections Thinking I might just drop out and get a normal job
    To be fair people are getting that many rejections (and many more!) with 'normal' jobs too! So keep at it - no harm in trying! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to say good luck to all the job applicants and to try to encourage you not to get too despondent if you don't get a job straight away. There are often lots of politics behind the scenes and it may be nothing to do with you at all. It really is a case of waiting for the one that's right for you. If it's meant to be, it'll not pass you by.

ReputationRep:
    I've survived [and enjoyed] my first class trip [as the organiser/person responsible lol]. The kids really loved it and we managed to fit lots of stuff in. Inc. dressing as Victorian children and having a 'Victorian' lesson, dressing up as miners, brass rubbings, visiting Durham Cathedral and a boat trip. Plus, all the children got an ice cream, which they adored lol, and there were no incidents or problems along the way. Yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    I've survived [and enjoyed] my first class trip [as the organiser/person responsible lol]. The kids really loved it and we managed to fit lots of stuff in. Inc. dressing as Victorian children and having a 'Victorian' lesson, dressing up as miners, brass rubbings, visiting Durham Cathedral and a boat trip. Plus, all the children got an ice cream, which they adored lol, and there were no incidents or problems along the way. Yay!
    Ooo that sounds like a lovely day out for all - well done you! Invite us next time!

ReputationRep:
    Oh em geee, got myself an interview on 28th for a nursery teacher post:eek:. I need lots of luck and positive vibes. I have to teach a phase 1 phonics session, undertake an unseen planning task with a 30 min interview, eek. First one so it will be a great experience either way, I just hope they think I am as good in person as I was on paper.

Affinity- Sounds great! I'm really pleased that it went well for you! It's so much pressure for everyone to enjoy themselves isn't it! Go you!

ReputationRep:
    Beamish?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Beamish?!
    No. Some of the children in the class [split year group class] went to Beamish last year, so that wasn't allowed. We went into Durham itself, as the city is our topic for the term. So, the boat was along the River Wear, we visited the Cathedral and then the activities [school room, mining etc] were at the heritage centre.

ReputationRep:
    No. Some of the children in the class [split year group class] went to Beamish last year, so that wasn't allowed. We went into Durham itself, as the city is our topic for the term. So, the boat was along the River Wear, we visited the Cathedral and then the activities [school room, mining etc] were at the heritage centre.
    Ahh, I had no idea you could do that at the heritage centre there! Cool!

ReputationRep:
    Had a really poo week Feel like the stress of the year is getting to me now, also having a bit of trouble at school and expectations! ...only 15 days to go...deep breaths...!

ReputationRep:
    30 applications. 7 interviews. No job.

ReputationRep:
    I am so bored of planning! Seriously. I feel like I am going to have a meltdown. 7 weeks to go. 3 of which are teaching 80% of the time. They cannot end soon enough!

ReputationRep:
    I am so bored of planning! Seriously. I feel like I am going to have a meltdown. 7 weeks to go. 3 of which are teaching 80% of the time. They cannot end soon enough!
    3 weeks in school (teaching 80%), a half-term "break" that'll probably be spent redoing an essay, and a week in the Faculty, then I'm free.

Got to sort out some form of job, also. I've (whisper it) applied for a job that's really suitable to my experience and personality, but not teaching- working with troubled and disadvantaged 9-13 year olds, and trying to re-engage them in their local community. Had two really good interviews, and just waiting to hear back from it, now.

In the mean time, more job applications- need to finish one off tonight- and planning. I've planned 6 of my 15 lessons for next week, just didn't get as much done this weekend as I wanted, despite spending about 10 hours planning Oh well, the stuff I've got is pretty good, and I think I've got the differentiation right for my numeracy which is a particularly big target.

Oh, and I'm also getting very annoyed at Gove. All my knowledge of the National Curriculum that I'm currently building up will be completely useless very soon!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.